• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gold Soars to Highest level EVER!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok Mr. Waybomb, I told you this would happen but you brushed it off. This is a direct indicator that the Dollar is not doing well at all. I only hope you folks have some precious metals.
080108-gold-hmed-2p.hmedium.jpg

APTRANS.gif
Jan. 8, 2008

NEW YORK - It’s the stuff of western dramas where rugged men went looking for it in the mountains. It’s the glittering metal used in fancy jewelry, the highest honors for sports and the bars tucked away in heavily secured safes. And these days, gold’s appeal as a safe-haven investment has carried it to record prices.
Gold futures surged above $880 Tuesday to their highest level ever, not accounting for inflation, propelled higher by rising oil prices and a weak U.S. dollar. An ounce of gold for February delivery climbed as high as $884 on the New York Mercantile Exchange, topping by almost $10 its previous record of $875 set in 1980, and later settled at $880.30, up $18.30.
Market analysts who have watched gold’s ascent weren’t surprised that gold had reached a new high.

“I’m telling my friends,” said Ashraf Laidi, an analyst at CMC Markets. “I’ve told them for the past three years to invest in gold.”
Still, when adjusted for inflation, gold remains far short of the jaw-dropping levels of 28 years ago. An ounce of gold at $875 in 1980 would be worth $2,115 to $2,200 today.
AP_Gold.gif
Gold that cost $650 an ounce in January 2007 has soared during the past year on rising prices for oil and other commodities and also by the falling U.S. dollar. Those trends have increased the metal’s appeal as a hedge against inflation; gold is also seen as a safe investment in times of political and economic uncertainty around the world.
Hedge and pension funds, along with other long-term investors, also flocked to gold as the mortgage and credit crisis in the U.S. intensified.
Few signs have appeared of the frenzy that surrounded the metal’s last record-setting foray, but today’s jewelry prices do reflect the sharp run-up in precious metals prices over the past few months. As Valentine’s Day approaches, shoppers might not be so sweet on rising price tags, and choose to settle for a smaller or lighter pair of gold earrings.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22560535/

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
western dramas ... rugged men ... adjusted for inflation, gold remains far short of the jaw-dropping levels of 28 years ago. An ounce of gold at $875 in 1980 would be worth $2,115 to $2,200 today.
BTDT. We had claimjumpers overfiling us, several layers, on our gold mining claim up in the Sierras in the summer of 1980. One was a London-based multinational that operates many famous mines. One was some guy who had inherited some 1911 claims that really were in the old books at the county recorder's office. He over-filed most of the county based on his 'prior' claims, that were probably bogus when initially filed and certainly had lapsed. I think he expected to make money reselling his claims to the gullible. We saw several weekenders on our claim who told us they thought it was open ground so they posted claim monuments without looking at the County Recorder files first.

We're still there; the interlopers disappeared in a year or so.

I need to scan some of my old photos then bore everybody with mining tales. Llike the year-end miner's picnic where one drunk shot over everyone's head when he thought we had taken sides with his laborer that he had underpaid all summer.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Go ahead Sush - buy that gold. Had you bought it in 1980 or so, you'd still be down about $1400 today. That's no way to riches.

Stocks or Real Estate, son. It's the only way. Might be worthwhile looking at some airline stocks - they've taken a beatin lately.

So here's the deal - Right now AAI is down to about 6.43. So I spend a thousand bucks make believe today. That's about 150 shares with online broker fee.

What's Gold's close today? 877.50, right? So, today you take that your 1000 bucks make believe and buy a little more than an ounce.

Check back with me every month and let's see who's making money.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
So let's see how we are doing Sushi.
Gold ended at what, 901? You had about 1.25 ounces.

So, so far you are up about 30 bucks

AAI ended at 8.01. I'm up about $225.00.

But that's a short term deal.

I'll check back every month or so.

Caio

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold is best if you are expecting TEOTWAWKI

Actually, in that case lead and brass are much more valuable ;)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Must have to do with radiation? If it's the end of the world, only thing that would help would be to make it end quick, not prolong it.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
So did I. But I still cannot work out what lead and brass have to do with it. I must be a dumb arse

The brass contains the magic powder that goes bang and makes the lump of lead fly really fast.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I had to look up TEOTWAWKI.
So did I. But I still cannot work out what lead and brass have to do with it. I must be a dumb arse
Guess I must be a pessimist. Each took just a moment to interpret. Before I scrolled down and saw the answer already posted.

Vin, it's one of the gunner's homilies - In times of chaos you don't need gold if you have guns because soon enough you will have both. If you want gold. But the gold will be valueless.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Time for an investement check up

Sushi's 1.14 ounces of Gold is worth $1028.94 at COB Friday
My 155.52 shares of AAI is worth $1,335.92 at COB Friday.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Time for an investement check up

Sushi's 1.14 ounces of Gold is worth $1028.94 at COB Friday
My 155.52 shares of AAI is worth $1,335.92 at COB Friday.

BIMP!

150 shares AAI @ $3.48 = $522.00 (-$478.00)
1.14 oz AU @ $869.90 = $991.33 (-$8.67)

(I do agree though with Fred that gold is not a good long term investment.)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, sux to be me @6.43.

But AAI will come back to where it should be, in the $18-20 range.

Truth be told, I did buy into AAI at various levels, most recently last week at an average price of 3.31. In for $3000. And for snickers-n-grins, I did do a $1000 buy when I posted my first post to Sushi.

But nobody makes or looses money until they sell.

So let's look at the chances of AAI getting to its real worth. It has been there a number of times, and will again. Gold, on the other hand, to return that sort of money at a $1000.00 investment would have to go to almost $3000 per ounce. Tell me why to invest in gold again? I could see when it is down to 200-300 an ounce and indiactors are the dollar is going to tank.

But why do people get all in a huff and buy when it is high? Not just gold, but any investment.

And that leads to something else, in order to sell, someone has to buy.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The price of gold is really helping our economy up here. I live in a town that was founded around the goldmine industry many, many years ago. The mines around here all closed down 40-50 yrs ago. Since then, our main industry up here has revolved around forrestry. Now, as it turns out, just when the forrest industry is taking a nose dive, mines are starting to re-open.

Talking to old-timers that used to mine this area back then, they claim they barely even scratched the surface of what's down there. My buddy now works for a drilling company and has informed me that they recently undrcovered 3 large veins of gold that were previously undiscovered. I really hope the price stays up there for a while as our economy sure needs a boost.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure where I'm at this year, but here's how I did last year!

And you?

Attachments

• P7110001.jpg
    P7110001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 28

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Go ahead Sush - buy that gold. Had you bought it in 1980 or so, you'd still be down about $1400 today. That's no way to riches.

Stocks or Real Estate, son. It's the only way. Might be worthwhile looking at some airline stocks - they've taken a beatin lately.

So here's the deal - Right now AAI is down to about 6.43. So I spend a thousand bucks make believe today. That's about 150 shares with online broker fee.

What's Gold's close today? 877.50, right? So, today you take that your 1000 bucks make believe and buy a little more than an ounce.

Check back with me every month and let's see who's making money.

Let's see how the contest is going...

Attachments

• z.png
    z.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 26

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
ahhh man!!! Why did you go and post that graph !!! Now ole Fishy is going to get all swelled up and have a big head !! He ain't never been right before and this could crush him ...........:w00t:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Let's see how the contest is going...

:confused:

Why are you comparing Airtran Airlines (AAI) to Randgold Resources Ltd. (GOLD)?

I believe Sushi is referring to commodity Gold (base metal), and not a specific corporation. Gold (GC) closed today at $959.50

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
:confused:

Why are you comparing Airtran Airlines (AAI) to Randgold Resources Ltd. (GOLD)?

I believe Sushi is referring to commodity Gold (base metal), and not a specific corporation. Gold (GC) closed today at $959.50

Party-pooper! Spoiler! Nay-sayer!! :tongue: :rolf2:

'bout time someone caught on! :yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, buy that gold. Heck, I heard it has the potential to go all the way above $2500. Because that was the high in adjusted dollars. Oh, ya, that means it is down 1500 now.

Ya, AAI tanked. But I ain't sold yet either. Just like Sushi hasn't bought an ounce of gold.

In fact I just loaded up on some more AAI at 1.90.

BTW - never play just one stock, commodity, etc Sushi, when you do decide to buy something.