• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Where to use snowcats?

markemery

Noob here, and I posted the same question in my Trackster post, but wanted to post again to appeal to the non-Tracksters.

Anyway, looking to purchase a Cushman Trackster, but am trying to figure out where I can use it. I assume snowmobile trails are ok? Anywhere else? Where do you take yours?

I'm near Mt. Hood Oregon.

Thanks

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Places I've driven mine:

Farm fields surround my house/property.

Along the creek banks that run for miles.

In a heavy enough snow when the roads are impassible then I go down the center of the roads!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Check your local regulations for snow mobile trails...

It is not usually a good idea for snow cats and snowmobiles to run on the same trails, unless they are wide enough for you both to pass.. Also you are not going nearly the same speed as they are, and your a hazard if you are not seen. A slow moving vehical sign on the back of your machine is a good idea, as are a strobe light on top of the machine. Visbility for others is what you want. DOT reflective tape like on semi trailers is good too.

Private land is the best.. I have quite a bit here I can run on. My machine is registared as a snow mobile, but is actually too wide to be. I also am a state certified groomer operator...to help confuse the issue when running mine on snowmobile trails. This was not exactly "planned", it just sort of evolved.

Road ditches are a good avenue as well. A tall flag mounted on your machine will help with visibility there.
Do all you can reasonably do to be visible and be very aware on trails with sleds. Rearview mirrors are a great idea as well, so you can see them before they run you over.. so you can get out of their way.

First, get to know the laws/regulation of your state and area..

Regards, Kirk

markemery

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should have clarified that I'm looking to know what public places I can explore, as I don't have access to private land. I can see how running a Trackster on public snowshoe and snowmobile trails would be an incompatible use. Which gets back to my initial concern...will there even be anyplace for me to drive it?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Most forest trail roads will allow you to use it . Are you near a National Forest area ? Any back road that is not gated will do . Just head for the high country and enjoy . Talk with your local S&R team . I bet they will know where you can go have fun !.
If nothing else pop over to Elk City , Idaho in the winter . I am pretty sure we can wear the tracks out over here running around in the back country .

Welcome to FF !

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Noob here, and I posted the same question in my Trackster post, but wanted to post again to appeal to the non-Tracksters.

Anyway, looking to purchase a Cushman Trackster, but am trying to figure out where I can use it. I assume snowmobile trails are ok? Anywhere else? Where do you take yours?

I'm near Mt. Hood Oregon.

Thanks

I would talk to the people in charge of the land you want to go on. assuming may not be wise. It could spoil you trip and stop you ever from getting permission. go to the forest service and ask about the roads and snowmobiles.
groomed snowmobile trails in our state usually are off limits for a cat. Oregon??
I go to towers,SAR and snowmobile trails. most all my places are national forest land. I joined snowmobile club, attend forest meetings,amature radio(ham),SAR. to get me in more places and help.
I hauled sheriffs in closed national parks and Lyndon even hauled fish in a wilderness area by doing this.

Sno-Surfer

You can use it all over the Mt Hood area. There are a couple of places that have a 48" width limit during certain times of the year but otherwise there are lots of places to use it. Mostly forest service roads. You can also go over to the Mt Adams side and use it all over there too. I've been going out every other weekend or so in that area and have no problem at all for access.
Take it up to Bennett Pass. The restriction there was lifted April 1. Plenty of snow too but careful of the side hills on that one.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would also point out, like Kirk said, get yourself a SMV sign like is found on the back of farm tractors and farm equipment. If you have one of those signs on your vehicle and drive WITH THE LIGHTS ON, then most states will consider that a farm vehicle. But probably not if your state requires you to register it as a snowmobile.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm the odd duck out here in the arctic with lots of public land and no trees I just drive any place I want. I even toodle trough the streets of Nome. yes I have a bubble gum machine smv signage dot tape and lights. out here it just falls in the same class as a tractor. No way I could get away with this in anchorage or Fairbanks

markemery

Unfortunately Mt. Hood National Forest limits you to 48" wide on their trails. Bummer, will have to see if there is any other land out there I could cruise around on.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
WI has the same width restriction in the state forest, however after I dug into it a bit i found an exception, antique snow machines. the intention of the rule is to allow antique snowmobiles, my 1962 ST-4 is registered as a antique snowmobile, Because it is.

Remember they make the rules its your job to follow them, How ever you want.

Generally I follow the intent of the rule, sometimes i follow the actual rule.
there is a difference

markemery

Yeah, I'll probably look into it further. And, I'd have no problem going out there and testing the waters. I suppose someone could report me, but they'd probably just chuckle at a little old Trackster putting along minding my own business. Thanks for the tip redsqwrl!

Sno-Surfer

I have spoke with the rangers on both Mt Hood and Adams with my snow trac and there are some roads with restrictions but not all. They gave me all sorts of suggestions for places to take it. The restricted roads are marked. Right now all the restrictions are lifted. You can go just about anywhere but you'll have to start up higher.

Sno-Surfer

I might add that all the rangers have really liked the machine. I tell them all about it and then I'm off down the trail. I have never seen another snow cat out there yet and it sounds like they almost never see them either.