• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

? about the variator

dave_dj1

I have been cruising this forum for a while and being an old VW man I am curious about the mechanics of these Snowcat's.
Could someone either explain to me how/why the variator is used?
thank you,
dave

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picture an open differential. Now add a 90 deg bevel gear box so there is a shaft running straight up from each axle shaft, as well as throu the grear box to the drives. The "new" shafts going straight up are topped with variable speeed pulleys with moveable sheevs. If the sheevs are equal distances apart, and the heavy vee belt between them is parrell on each side (the belt provides constant positraction connecting right and left axles shafts) the snow trac goes straight ahead. But when you turn the steering wheel, a linkage to the variator opens a pulley on one side, and closes the other side the same amount. The axles now are forced to turn at different speeds, one slower and the other faster, thus you turn. This is done with no loss of power due to no steering brakes being engaged.

Hope this helps you,

Kirk

Last edited:

dave_dj1

300, that is a very good explanation, thank you. Jim, I just read that entire thread and learned so much, thank you.
I am having thoughts of building my own twin tracked rig and using dynamic breaking. I think the variator setup would be nice but not an option for me.
thanks again.
dave

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the other reason for he varriator is that when steering in soft terrain especialy snow you will have power to both tracks when steering keeping you from digging in the inside track and spinning the outside track as a an unintended plus when operating in the summer or on soft veggitation you do verry little damage to the ground while steering