• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Husky's as pets....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it all started 4 months ago. My oldest daughter called me up one day and asked if she could have a husky. I told her no, but in the end I gave in. So we now have one here on the farm. Not that the husky minds, as I am quite sure he now has the best home he has ever had. He's about or just over a year old, but this is a guess on my part. The story goes he was kept in a 5X5 kennel, and rarely got out of it. My guess is this is right as well, as he has some habits of laying down to eat or drink, when there is plenty of room not to have to do so...in my shop. He has also do his best to rearrange my shop for me as well.:glare: He came here shy and withdrawn, and cowered as I think some one had abused him badly. My voice was all he needed to hear to make him scared of me. He had belonged to a women we were told, so maybe a man was not what he was used too. He has become another dog, in 4 months. He is very happy and holds his tail proud. He no longer cowers from me at all. He is well behaved except for running the countryside.:ermm:

His muscle tone was poor, and running was not something he did for very far. My german shorthair, has very much enjoyed the company of this husky dog, and they have run and played together for these months. Shilo, the husky's name the daughter gave him, has grown some more,and got into shape as well, by being free to run with the shorthair. Ty the other dog doesn't ever leave the yard here, as he was taught by an older dog, and is faithfull to those lessons from puppy hood...

But then came harvest, and the crops came out. I didn't realise it at the time, but those crops had been a "fence" around the yard all summer. Now the husky is thinking the whole area is the "yard" and it has been something else to keep him home...

dds and redsquel from the forum here have both been here with this husky. dds warned me that in AK they spend their lives on a chain. I think I now understand why....

I am hoping other members here might have some idea's as to how I might keep this husky from deciding the county side is his "yard" if that is possible...I don't want to chain him up very badly. Never done this to a dog before, but then again I have never had a husky before either. They are unique dogs that are hinged differeintly than other dogs. He can lay flat with all four paws out, belly flat to the ground. He is also displaying what I think are hip displasia symptoms in his rear end. Are husky's prone to this?

I like the dog alot, but we are now at odds. I get tired of his ways of running off and comming home at dark. I wonder if some day he won't come home anymore. I don't like that outcome at all....

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Kirk, I’ve had several Alaskan Malamute’s over the years and they acted the say way. I put up an invisible fence and problem solved!

Kane

My wife had a Husky, and I always had German Shorthairs (ran field trials on horseback, what a dog, what a gas) while living on open range farms in IA.

You may want to consider feeding habits. A dog that self-feeds -- i.e. always has a full bowl of food out -- really has no inclination to stay around. But a dog that is metered food only once or twice a day stays close to the bowl, so to speak. Not sure what your ability is to time and measure the food, Kirk, but if a dog is accustomed to a noon or 2:00 feeding, guaranteed it will be home at noon or 2:00.

Just a thought, other than installing a mile of invisible fencing around the farm house compound perimeter.

PS: I presume the dog is neutered. Makes a big difference.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Kirk, I’ve had several Alaskan Malamute’s over the years and they acted the say way. I put up an invisible fence and problem solved!

With a 5 acer yard it would take lots of wire to do that...But not out of the question either. 500 yards might do it.....

Can they still work with that much wire burried?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife had a Husky, and I always had German Shorthairs (ran field trials on horseback, what a gas) while living on open range farms in IA.

You may want to consider feeding habits. A dog that self-feeds -- i.e. always has a full bowl of food out -- really has no inclination to stay around. But a dog that is metered food only once or twice a day stays close to the bowl, so to speak. Not sure what your ability is to time and measure the food, Kirk, but if a dog is accustomed to a noon or 2:00 feeding, guaranteed it will be home at noon or 2:00.

Just a thought, other than installing a mile of invisible fencing around the farm house compound perimeter.

This may be worth a try as well. Thanks kane, I will try this first. I have good days with him when I take him along with the shorthair to work with me. They seem to get their exercise and are content to stay at home then.

Talk about an odd couple, a shorthair and a husky are just that!! But they sure get along well.

Regards, Kirk

PS...I have thought abut getting him neutered, but he is not as of yet.....

Kane

This may be worth a try as well. Thanks kane, I will try this first. I have good days with him when I take him along with the shorthair to work with me. They seem to get their exercise and are content to stay at home then.

Talk about an odd couple, a shorthair and a husky are just that!! But they sure get along well.

Regards, Kirk

PS...I have thought abut getting him neutered, but he is not as of yet.....
This may be the key. Just get him too tired to be interested in roaming.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With a 5 acer yard it would take lots of wire to do that...But not out of the question either. 500 yards might do it.....

Can they still work with that much wire burried?
I put in an invisible fence and it works great. Once trained our dane will not cross it. I have around 4 acres of yard and did not do the entire yard. I'd guess I'm between 2 1/2 to 3 acres of invisible fence and it works like a charm ....unless I have a mental lapse and forget about it when working on some other project. Thankfully it is easy to patch when that kind of thing happens.
For driveways you do want to run the wire inside of 1/2" pvc pipe.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I rescued a husky several years ago. It had been chained to an old coop for 7 years. I installed invisible fence around 5 acres but it didn't seem to work. She either didn't mind the jolt or was going too fast to care :w00t2: I never had the nerve to try it on myself !!!

She had to be on a leash to go for a walk or she would just be missing for the rest of the day. Supper was at 6:00 and she usually reappearred for that but would be gone again if given the chance.

Talk about stubborn ! She loved a friend's dog, Chewy. One day we walked thru the woods 4 miles to a place where she had last seen Chewy about a week ago. Then we walked back to camp but when I went to leave, she was gone. They don't come when you call. I walked back out the 4 miles to the place we went earlier and she was there, hoping her dog friend would show up.

Good luck ! It takes quite a bit to tire them out. If he loves the other dog and mostly they roam together, I think it would be easier to train the other dog :yum:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I installed invisible fence around 5 acres but it didn't seem to work. She either didn't mind the jolt or was going too fast to care :w00t2: I never had the nerve to try it on myself !!!
You have to train them correctly or the fence won't work, as you have obviously found out. The dogs are clever and you will never contain them once they realize that speeding through the fence will gain them freedom. The jolt is insignificant at that point. But properly acclimated, they will gain respect for the boundary and won't challenge it.

For instance, when training the animal you need to pick out a boundary identifier, like a tree or something that will never move. Then walk the dog (on a leash) slowly toward the tree. As you get closer the audible will start. A little closer and a slight tingle in the contact points of the collar. And the closer to the tree you go the stronger the tingle, until the dog realizes that getting to close to the tree is painful.

Repeat until trained!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As already mentioned as a trend of previous posts, Husky's and invisible fence are at best about a 50/50 chance of success. I do use the invisible fence with my current dog and it works but husky's are a whole different breed.

If you decide to try the invisible fence, here's an installation method that worked well for me. Use an edger for laying the wire. I used the edger to make the ditch (just a couple inches deep). My daughter went behind me with the wire spool and laid it close to the ditch. Mrs. Zoom followed that with a 12" wooden ruler and pushed the wire in the ditch. We laid 1000' of wire (including under 3 driveways where we used the conduit and over a concrete driveway in about 3 hours. Mark on paper or via photo exactly where you put the wire. Some day when it quits working, you'll need to know where you put it. Also, be careful where you put the transmitter. Mine is in my shop but the dog can't come into one of the garage bays as she'll get zapped. Get a good unit! It won't be cheap but the 2nd tier brands can give you a lot of trouble. Also consider getting the surge protector. Thunder storms can fry the unit easily without it.

OK, I used to have 2 Siberian Huskys and a Samoyed. No invisible fence was going to keep them in. I installed split rail fence in a 1 acre area (for looks). Then, using fencing staples, I put 4' welded wire fence inside the split rail. It greyed quickly so from a distance, you couldn't even see the wire fence. That worked for awhile until they took up jumping over it or digging underneath. I then installed a strand of electric fence inside that. They have low-output fencers made for dogs. A single strand about 12" in from the 4' fence and about 14-16" off the ground worked nicely. If they went to lean on the 4' fence, it would catch them in the belly. If they tried to go under the fence, it would zap them on the neck/shoulder area. That solution put an end to their multi-mile escapades.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk: Good luck! The invisible fence does work with most dogs and the biggest secret to installing it is don't use the wire they give you. Go to an electrical supply house and buy spools of 14 single strand wire. It is a lot heavier and with stands driving heavy stuff over it. I did sleeve my driveway and behind the barn with 1/2" conduit. I took an old single point plow and rolled a furrow about 4" deep to put it in. We were very careful about removing any rocks and keeping the depth. Even used sand in areas where there was a big rock. It has worked great for us once the dogs were used to it. That said I used to raise Samoyed dogs. Had a female that could get out of a 6' chain link kennel and the fenced back yard which had the same fence the whole way around. One day I watched her back her butt into the corner and literally climb using front and back paws till she reached the top. Back flip and she was off and running for hours.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had an Alaskan Malamute (think a BIG Husky) and am on my 3rd Akita (Japanese version of the Husky) and all have very similar characteristics. They like to run, they are work/sled type dogs, they are powerful and will hunt.

Mine are kept in a fenced area, my fenced area is about 60 by 150. When outside of that area all have been on a leash. Often a 30' leash.

Try the electric fence. You don't have to fence in the ENTIRE area.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the news is not good...

They ran off toghert from my grain storage site/large shop while I was working yesterday. This is 3 miles from home. At about 8:30 the husky showed up by himself, and tail down and acting odd. The shorthair, the dog I have raised from a pup, is missing. I threw down my coat and hoped that this morning he would be there, but he isn't. They was a small amount of blood on the fore legs of the husky. There are a busy highway and a very busy RR near there. I fear the worst, and I am afraid the shorthair met his demise last night.

Sad I am....

Kirk

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All large dogs are prone to hip dysplasia. Best wishes for a positive outcome!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Neighbor found him with his paw caught between the wall of a shed and a pallet full of tin trim pieces. Paw is cut a bit and swollen but he'll heal up fine. Not 1/4 mile from where I was working....

They need some sleep and so do I. The veternarian is on allert to neuter the husky....I have an appontment with surgeon for my right hand after lunch an hours drive away. Maybe need to try one of those "energy" shots to stay awake. Never tried them before.

Thanks, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Neighbor found him with his paw caught between the wall of a shed and a pallet full of tin trim pieces. Paw is cut a bit and swollen but he'll heal up fine. Not 1/4 mile from where I was working....
Oh thank God...

Kane

They need some sleep and so do I. The veternarian is on allert to neuter the husky....I have an appontment with surgeon for my right hand after lunch an hours drive away. Maybe need to try one of those "energy" shots to stay awake. Never tried them before.

Thanks, Kirk
Getting him neutered is probably best. It will change his needs from runnin' around whore-doggin' to protecting the home site. In about six months he'll settle down.

Good news on the shorthair. He was probably rooting a varmit out from under the pallet.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad your dog made it back OK!

The best thing I ever did was fence my yard in and put an automatic gate opener in. Wasn't cheap or easy but it was worth it.

Keeps the bad dogs out and the worse dogs in. ;)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's great news!

BE CAREFUL! Without sleep, you may not be thinking straight and mess things up. You're thinking of your dog's paw right now. DON'T get yourself neutered and hand/paw operation on the dog. :unsure:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's great news!

BE CAREFUL! Without sleep, you may not be thinking straight and mess things up. You're thinking of your dog's paw right now. DON'T get yourself neutered and hand/paw operation on the dog. :unsure:

Not a chance:biggrin:

Just ready for the Doc's office. I am in a pretty good mood too...

Thanks all for the concerns. Maybe have to get a pic of "my boys" so you can all see my odd couple...

Best regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on finding short hair. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope neutering helps with the roaming.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well there goes your and the husky's sex life! Good luck to both of you.:flowers:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I had an Alaskan Malamute (think a BIG Husky) and am on my 3rd Akita (Japanese version of the Husky) and all have very similar characteristics. They like to run, they are work/sled type dogs, they are powerful and will hunt.

Mine are kept in a fenced area, my fenced area is about 60 by 150. When outside of that area all have been on a leash. Often a 30' leash.

Try the electric fence. You don't have to fence in the ENTIRE area.

I have 12 acres worth fenced in. I made a contraption that goes on the back of my tractor that will hold a 5000' spool of wire and it only took about an hour to put down the 3500' or so around 12 acres. Their coller batteries have been dead for years and, apparently, my son shot through the line back by our range, but our dogs don't leave. I bought a new German Shepherd Dog, first female ever, and she stays right with the other dogs. She's only 4 months old and is a ball of fire but has never left our property.

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 121

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Be careful Kirk you arn't as tough as you were once were. I'm learning that the hard way glad your pup got home ok i have a doc appointment to today looking like RA for me

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a new German Shepherd Dog, first female ever, and she stays right with the other dogs. She's only 4 months old and is a ball of fire but has never left our property.
Cute pup! I'm a big fan of the GSD. Great companion’s, very intelligent, and ferocious defenders of the family.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, glad to hear you have both your dogs. Take care of your hand, the shorthair's paw, and get the Husky fixed.

Oh, and please disregard all posts about pets from Dargo.

Here is a photo of Dargo's dog from last Halloween, don't let this happen to your animals.

285015_527545810593141_200680306_n.jpg