• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oil Mixing: Ummmm

DAP

Situation: 2002 Subaru w/ 2.5 litre Boxer running on Valvoline Synthetic.

SO has car on long trip; has service man check the oil, and he puts in a quart of presumably NON synthetic oil.

What are the consequences?

She's gonna drive it about 450 more miles this afternoon.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't see it as any real issue. Based on what you wrote, I'd guess it would be due for an oil change soon after the trip is over. It can wait until she gets home. Dino & synthetic have been mixed before, the engines don't self destruct because of it. I would not want to run mixed products for a full use cycle due to breakdown & viscosity differences but short term can't be any big deal.

By the way, I'm not an Amsoil distributor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

DAP

You're a pip Robert. Thanks for the prompt response!

This car with 108k miles on it, loses or burns some oil (no leaking though). I believe that new engineering tolerances result in new combustion engines that do NOT burn up oil, but exhaust its properties and dirty it. She insists on having the oil checked in ANY car she drives because she believes engine oil is a consumable, much like gasoline.

I can see an older modern engine finally starting to 'consume' some oil, either through leaking or valve related issues ... but generally, it seems most newer cars don't consume oil like the engines of the 70s ..