• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi speedo shaft leaks

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
checked ford and napa for a seal today with no luck. Has anyone solved this leak? I had good part numbers but was told it wasn't being made anymore. Jim
bombispeedoleak.jpg

brianf

go to a good transmission shop,one that has been around for many years, they should be able to find something that will work, I have had no problems buying most seals and bearings for the bombi,

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
checked ford and napa for a seal today with no luck. Has anyone solved this leak? I had good part numbers but was told it wasn't being made anymore. Jim
bombispeedoleak.jpg
I exausted most of my options on seal finding. I need to get this fixed .
Can this be filled with aluminum with out the heat doing damage to the tranny? I can gind the speedo shaft shorter and fill the outer part with my welder. The seal may melt some but running cold water should keep some heat down ????
Jim
Untitled.jpg

Have you taken the seal out and shown it to a bearing/seal parts supplier?(not NAPA, gag) I have never not been able to find a seal at the local bearing store and I've worked on some pretty oddball stuff, even in metric. It looks like a standard chevron seal from the pictures to me. Here in Alaska I use Alaska Bearing or BESCO. The aluminum route sounds like a bad idea to me.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No I never took it out. I have gone that way in the past on farm machinery but didn't want a larger hole that couldn't get a seal for. When i get it mobile I'll show it to a couple tranny shops. My aluminum flatbed is 90% done. Jim

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd pull all that junk out and fill the hole with J.B. weld & call it good. Why have a speedometer in a snowcat anyway?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with MTNcrawler, pull it out, but you can use a rubber expanding boat plug to fill the hole.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the seal holding it in? It felt solid and it didn't want to move.
Jim