• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I'm getting my barn!!!!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup, finally going to happen. But, I can't build it!! I hate it when that happens!!! Problem is, I'm 250 miles away from it. Going to wind up with a 28X32 gambrel roof. Two 10X8 doors on the gable end, and end up with a 22X32 upper floor.
Since I'm going back and forth between two properties, I'm having a builder upnorth doing it for me. He's the same guy I probably will be working with once I get there permanently in the next couple months.

Now, a question. I want the weathered look. I'm using 5/8" T1-11 for siding, 8" grooves. Has anyone an idea of how to get the weathered look of an old barn on new wood? I'm leaning on letting it go this year due to winter coming on, and the temps from here on out aren't conducive to anything being applied right now. One winter of no protection shouldn't be that much of a problem.

How about using deckstain for a finish next spring? Colour really isn't much of an issue, but am thinking of red, bluish-gray, or even green.:tiphat::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on your new barn!

A couple thoughts.
Have you looked at HardyPanel instead of using T-111? I believe it's a superior product yet looks similar.

I'm far from being any kind of painting guru (and I hate painting) but have watched Mrs. Zoom do some things that should give you what you want for a finish.

I can't explain it well so do a google search for "faux finish glazing". Someone in the painting section of a Lowe's or Home Depot can also explain it.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I wouldn't leave the T-111 unfinished all winter or it may begin to delaminate.
I suggest getting a semi-opaque deck stain to color it gray-ish, then hit it with a sealer coat of oil or urethane. (to get the color you want, you may need to mix different stains)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I got just the stuff for you!!!! Its called Chevron " Shingle Oil" and you can buy it at a fuel bulk plant . It comes in 5 gal containers . Cost is about $55 a pail , which is cheap when compared to the cost of sealer or paint:thumb: . You can add a quart of oil stain to the 5 gallon pails to get a darker look . In about 2 years it will darken up nicely on its own . I been using it for 20 years and I am quite happy with the results . Put it on with a airless sprayer add let it run heavy to soak in . Back roll with a extension roller a few hours later and you done !It will need to be redone about every 3 -4 years .

This is the same producct I used on the Idaho House and barn . Heres a picture of the house to give you and idea of the look .

Good Luck ,
Allen

Attachments

• Idaho house 001.jpg
    Idaho house 001.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 47

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Congrats on the new barn JD. One thing is for sure. You can't let that T-111 go unsealed and there's nothing for weathering like mother nature.

Now, I'm partial to red on my barn so if I were trying to do what you want I'd put a coat of the red stain on, just one coat and not heavy, and then let mother nature have at it till next spring. That's when I'd put a couple of coats of a matte or satin finish of clear on it. The sun will continue to fade the color a little but the clear will protect it from future weather.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the ideas and advice guys. I think I'll try the Shingle Oil thing. Likely with a quart or so of grayish/blue it'll give me what I'm looking for.
BigAl, what is the coverage of this stuff? Is this the same stuff that is used on cedar shakes?

Cowboy, I'm somewhat partial to red barns as well. !0 years ago at my last house, I built a 12X16 gambrel barn. Concrete floor, and a full loft complete with pull down attic stairs. Not large by any means, but big enough at the time. I went out to TSC and bought their BPS red barn paint. Not very expensive, and the barn still looks good after 10years from what I can see. It was the "proper" colour red, almost a flat finish, and just dark enough. Was going to use the same stuff on this barn, but Jan sorta wants something to blend with the woods.

Thanks again, and I'd still like input from anyone else as well. :tiphat::beer::beer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I would venture to say that 20 gallons will be more than enough . Probably 15 will do it , but it has a shelf life that last damn near forever so if you have some left over ,you can use it next time you seal the barn . A lot depends on how dry the wood is when you apply it .
Test a little stain in it before dumping in the whole quart and getting a less than desired look . It will darken some in the next few days . It is nothing more than a "golden color" light weight oil ,but it sure has worked well for me . I believe that it is also used on shakes too . Try a test piece of siding to make sure you get the desired affect .
Congrads on the new barn !!!! :clap: