• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST4 Snow Trac small bogie spare source

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
While I really appreciate CamOtis's wooden spare, I wanted a spare that was a bit more refined.

I found a near match at SurplusCenter.11x4.10-5 Smooth Tread Wheel Assembly1-4946
It is only a 4 ply, it has only a "plain bearing" AKA steel bushing. It has a 3/4" Bore.

I turned a axle that has the 1/2 bolt bore and a 3/4 OD with a boss at one end. The other end I welded an angle to to make sure the wheel turned on the 3/4 bushing not the unlubricated bolt.

I figure if I blow one of the lower bogies I will swap in the upper one and use the light weight spare in that position. It may not be a long term solution, but at U$24 it was cheap enough to have on hand to get me back to the trailer.

Attachments

• Photo1588.jpg
    Photo1588.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Photo1591.jpg
    Photo1591.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 243

nikos

The only problem with this tyre of bogie wheels is on the bearings.
The plain bearings are not so strong in heavy-duty applications.

Nikos

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
He showed it to me .it is light but being used at the top of the track it may work out ok.
Jim

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I intend it to be a limited use spare, not a permanent replacement. It is greased and should hold up long enough to get back to civilization.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why not cut the no bearing shaft out, machine a new one that will use the bearings that the OEM supplied, and weld in. Or better yet, machine it for tapered roller bearings. Maybe that is OEM, forgive my SnoTrack ignorance.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
The wheel is not heavy enough for that. The OEM bogies were forklift caster wheels and were made of some fairly heavy stock. This one would not survive long as the wheel disc is too light.