• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SKYPE Phones?

Cityboy

Banned
Anybody using Skype? If so, what kind of phone or headset/mic combo are you using.

Where did you buy it? Online from Skype or from an electronics or department store.

I'd like to go pick one up today and make some calls

grizzer

Cheapie Walmart headset BUT I just plug the microphone in & listen to audio thru the PC speakers. Mic picks up good from several feet away so kids can talk easily.

P

Pigtails

CB,
Well, we have Skype. We have very limited phone service where we are and since they took away the analog bag cell phones, we had to do something. So, we have a satellite phone which works on a time table. So we downloaded Skype and we use that or Magic Jack when the sat phone is off its time schedule. I use just a regular cheapy mic and my laptop speakers. Works pretty good. Not the greatest in our location, but it works. Magic Jacks works about the same as Skype. Between the 3 we stay connected to the rest of the world:biggrin:

Cityboy

Banned
Thanks everybody. I went and got the Wal-Mart Skype Platonics headphones/mic ($28) and tried it out yesterday talking to Vin & Mary. We lost the connection a couple of times, probably because we both have crappy wireless internet service. But overall, it was pretty good. Can't beat free international calls!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not too familiar with Skype, is there a cost associated with it?

daedong

Tell me more Vin. How do you contact someone else? Phone number?

To contact someone PC to PC you need to have the other persons user name. To call to a phone it is just a matter of dialing the number, (not free but very cheap).

I am just about to go to work so hopefully someone else can fill you in if not I ill do it latter.

P

Pigtails

Well, when we downloaded Skype, I paid like $10.00 worth of minutes. then I found if I do their special I now pay 2.97 that is taken out of my visa every month for unlimited calls incoming and outgoing that is just for nation wide. No long distance No other chgs. period. I call people from my PC either to their PC, which is free anyway, or to their landline or cell phone. They give you a phone number inwhich to use too if you want. You have to sign up for the free phone number. Then you can have people call your PC. Your PC rings just like a phone. It is cool. But I am trying Magic Jack too. With Magic Jack I got to pick my state for where my phone number came from. Unfortunately WY was not included, so I had to go with a CO phone number. They both work cool. Keep in mind the faster your internet connection the better the phone reception. We do not have the top pkg deal with our hughes internet service. I suppose the connection would be alot better if we did. But hey, at least we can get out. That is the main thing. Just my opinion.