• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

List Of Different Snow Cats You Have Operated Or Owned

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
pixie said:
Made a living driving snowcats to groom alpine ski areas for a few winters and enjoyed a winter of plowing snow for a small town.

Pixie, I see you have snow cat operating experience in other snow cats. Can you tell us a little more about your experiences with other snow cats and what models you have operated?

I groomed snowmobile trails for several years operating mostly a Pisten Bully 270NG. The machine was quite heavy pulling a drag and with narrow gauge tracks somewhat easy to stick in deep snow. Did learn alot about snow cats and their usage from this experience.

How about everyone else filling in some detail on different cats they have either owned or operated in the past.

Cats I Have Owned Or Operated: My Favorite Is The 1200 LMC

Pisten Bully 270NG
Pisten Bully 300
1974 Thiokol Imp
LMC 1200
LMC 1500

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The most recent cat I've driven is a Bombardier 300ME. It sure was ALOT fancier than my Imp :yum: I've spent the last couple of days trying to remember the model of the Thiokol I started out in about 1978. It was not a cab-over style body. There used to be one near here, I'll have to go see if it's still there.

The Bombardier was great but the hydraulics could be touchy, meaning over-sensitive. Sure had lots of power.I'll go take a picture of the mountain's current similar cats.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The cat I ran in '78 was a Thiokol 2100 B or A . It was standard shift. First pic.

The one I ran for a couple winters around 2000 was the model before the cat in the second pic.

Attachments

• pixthiokol2100W.jpg
    pixthiokol2100W.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,675
  • pixBRplusMEblackW.jpg
    pixBRplusMEblackW.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,682

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Attached is a pics of Pisten Bully 270NG narrow gauge track that I operated grooming snowmobile trails for a couple of years. This narrow track configuration was not much of a snow cat as it was very easy to stick if you missed your old tracks or just got off the trail a little bit. I would much rather just be on a beer run cruising in my LMC. Pulling a drag in the night 30 miles from anywhere in a blizzard at 9500 ft elevation can get a little stressful when you cannot see 50 feet ahead for hours on end.
16.JPG

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have operated a LMC 1500 with the small diesel (belive it was a Nissan diesel). That vehicle had the wide tracks and was fitted with a front blade, 5 passenger cabin and a short bed on back. That vehicle was actually pretty good in the deep snow until they added the ROPS system Then it got a bit to heavy. My brother and I own a BV 206 which now resides in L.A.. That vehicle aslo did ok for a 10K plus vehicle. but was scary to attempt any type of back up in any tight terrain. It really is a all terrain vehicle but again does ok in snow. (NOT POWDER). I have operated a few diffrent types of snowcats Tuckers ect ect but not enough to give a decent report on. Now the Snow Master. The Snow Master is simply an incredable deep deep powder machine I have NEVER seen anything like it in deep powder. With a .36 PSI it is fantastic. Even loaded down with 7 adults and about 1,000 lbs in gear in still performs beautifully! Loaded down it still outperforms the LMC 1500 with the ROPS system. Everytime I go out in it I am still amazed. I will dig around for some pictures of the BV206 and the LMC1500. I will need to scan them.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just a newbie. My only experience is with the Snow Trac, and I don't have much experience with it.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My first Snow Cat was a 63 ST4 Snow Trac, with entirely original equipment. With some TLC it has been: Up Mt. St. Helens, to Craterlake National Monument, Mt Baker, McKenzie Pass in Oregon, Plina Lake Lodge, also in Oregon, all around Mt. Raineer, to White Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Roslin, and Yellowstone Park.

Since then I've owned:8 Snow Tracs, 2 Trac Masters, 1 Snow Master, 2 Tucker 443, 1 Tucker Kitten, 1 Kristi, a Bombardiere 'Bombi', 2 Bombardier Muskeg Tractors( 1 'J5' and 1 "Dual Drive") a tracked Missle loader that was useless in the snow, and a Mint, restored John Deer Lindeman crawler. One has to be a glutton for punishment to own 'Track Rigs'. I have driven 1 Thyacol, a Bombardiere "B12" snow coach, Various more recent Tuckers and ridden across sea ice in a Hagglund to an Oil development site in the Bufort sea. I've driven a Large Nodwell, and rode in a 1.7 Million dollar Rolligon from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to Prudhoe Bay about 28 miles, at 35 below. I currently have 1 ST4, my original 63 with white tracks, a mint Track Master and perhaps the nicest Tucker Kitten I've ever seen. I am currently storing 2 more snow tracks for friends, These are all restored machines that run reliably.

When your on the side of Mt. Raineer it's tough to get a tow from 'Triple A',so we retro fit the machines with dual electrical systems, Dual fuel systems and carry a lot of tools and spare parts. Most of my Snow Tracs can be seen in various VW magazines from having showed them at Vintage VW Meets. For some years I tried to keep the collection down to 12 or 13 machines. On Christer's web site there was a picture of my collection when I had 1 tucker 443, the J5, the Cristi and 8 ST4's and 1 Track Master.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a lot of new members here so I thought this would be a valid topic to bring back from the archives!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
We have a lot of new members here so I thought this would be a valid topic to bring back from the archives!

I will add to my prior list to help get more people to add to and update this topic.

Prior list: Pisten Bully 270NG
Pisten Bully 300
1974 Thiokol Imp
1989 LMC 1200
1991 LMC 1500

I can now add the following even if it is limited seat time in these since we have very little snow to play in so far this year.
1989 Bombardier BR100+
1968 Aktiv TracMaster
1999 VMC RT-01 Diesel
1960 Tucker Kitten

The Kitten was the most surprising to me for being so extremely responsive to turning, smooth running and easy to operate for its age. It is just going to be a unique machine to own, operate, easy to work on and fun in the snow....

The most disappointing to me was the LMC 1500. For all of it's hype and popularity, I think the 1200 LMC is a much heavier built, better handling snow cat and will require less maintenance in the long run. To me the 1500 with the asymmetrical tracks seems hard to turn in some snow conditions. It is about 2 foot shorter in track length than the 1200 and the rear end seems to drag in deep snow conditions.

The wide track Imp along with the Aktiv are going to be the best floaters in the snow since they both have a great foot print and are lightweight machines. The OC4 rear end in the Imp requires some planning and thought in making quick turns as it is not as responsive as some other models. It is still a great beginner, solidly built, easy to trailer, lower priced and easy to own snow cat.

The Bombardier BR100+ is a neat machine and it does handle turning/braking very well. It has a separate brake system that will put you through the windshield. The BR is well designed and is a functional small snow cat with plenty of power and an automatic transmission. For one or two people it will be a lot of fun but interior cabin space is limited.

The 1200 LMC is the cat I want when I positively have to be somewhere no matter the conditions. It just does everything as good or better than any other cat I have operated. Of course, I have spent many hours working/tinkering and considerable seat time in various conditions with this snow cat.

The VMC. The jury is still out as I am not sure about the diesel engine abilities in cold weather and fully hydrostatic drive system as being the best for a personal snow cat for most people.....:confused2: Fully hydrostatic steering and drives in snow cats leave little room for operator error.:eek:

I am sure the Aktiv is going to surprise me. I just need to spend more time in the drivers seat for a total impression. :cool2: ....And, of course, have the chance to yank Ole Yetti out of a snowbank somewhere/sometime .... :yum:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can help out a little, not much experience here only about 3hrs. Raidtrac 1800-30 Mighty mouse.:yum: :pat:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mbsieg said:
I can help out a little, not much experience here only about 3hrs. Raidtrac 1800-30 Mighty mouse.:yum: :pat:

Mike, just spend a little more time with me like today and I will guarantee you get some diverse seat time and less time working on my cats. It was great having you come up today,:cool2: just wish we had more snow and a chance to actually get some quality snow cat running time... Let's do it again when we have more snow to play in....:D
Bill

Southtowns27

Here's my list
Tucker 442-A
Tucker 443-A
Tucker 1542
Tucker 1642
Tucker Terra
Thiokol Spryte
Thiokol 2100
DMC 3700
LMC 3700C
LMC 3700CFS
Pisten Bully 100
PB 200
PB 260
PB 300
PB 300 Park

Operated, maintained, and repaired all of them

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Southtowns27 said:
Here's my list
Tucker 442-A
Tucker 443-A
Tucker 1542
Tucker 1642
Tucker Terra
Thiokol Spryte
Thiokol 2100
DMC 3700
LMC 3700C
LMC 3700CFS
Pisten Bully 100
PB 200
PB 260
PB 300
PB 300 Park

Operated, maintained, and repaired all of them

Ok, now we need a little info as to what you liked and or disliked about the snow cats you operated. I am sure each person has their own personal favorites. Everyone else likes to here the pros and cons of different cats. Just give us a little info as to your personal preferences. Its like candy we are not all going to agree as to the same flavor, but we all like it.
Bill

weatherby

:Unsure: OWNED A 601 THIOKOL FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS BUT IT JUST SAT IN A BARN WAIGHTING TO BE RESTORED WHICH I HAVE JUST STARTED ON WILL POST PICS. (WHEN I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW):confused:

Southtowns27

mtntopper said:
Ok, now we need a little info as to what you liked and or disliked about the snow cats you operated. I am sure each person has their own personal favorites. Everyone else likes to here the pros and cons of different cats. Just give us a little info as to your personal preferences. Its like candy we are not all going to agree as to the same flavor, but we all like it.
Bill
Oh boy.... It's hard to keep them all separated in my head anymore lol.

The Spryte and the 2100 were about useless when I ran them. They had been to hell and back twice. Plus, we were trying to use them at a ski resort to tow snow making equipment up the slopes. Neither of them worked so great. They were way underpowered and just plain old not user friendly. The non-hydro skid steer sucked. Especially when trying to turn uphill...you couldn't pull on the lever hard enough to make it turn.

I think the old steel track Tuckers give about the best ride behind the Terra (which are very smooth, very quiet, and very fast!). In deep fluffy powder snow, they can't be beat as far as flotation goes. But again, put it on a ski slope with something heavy hitched to it and you have to be really careful or you'll get in trouble. Some of our snowmakers used to get the machine I now own in some VERY precarious positions...I'd be the one to go rescue it. However, for hauling around the maple sap tank in gently rolling fields/woods, I wouldn't rather own a different machine.

The steel/rubber tracked Tuckers are the roughest riding machine out there, but they work much better for dragging stuff around on the hills. Before we owned any actual "groomers" at the ski area, we used to groom with an '82 1542 and a 16' roller or 14' powder maker (3 "rollers" made of expanded metal). I can count on one hand the number of times I didn't make it up the hill in all the years of running it.
The DMC 3700 and LMC 3700C's are basically identical machines. The LMC's have some nicer options like tiller follow and up/down pressure and more power (260hp from a 3208 Cat) but both machines worked well. For a small ski resort I still think the LMC 3700 gives the best bang for the buck.

We also have a 3700 CFS (cab forward super). The best comparison I can make to this machine is a Pisten Bully 200. They're about the same size. The LMC is definately built less expensively (it's like the difference between a Chevy and Mercedes...they both get you where you want to go, but one is lots nicer to drive). For example, the LMC uses mechanical linkage to the hydro pumps for steering where the PB is all fly by wire. On the other hand, the LMC has TONS more power. The Super has a 3176 Cat rated at 365 horse (the non-supers had 3208 Cats rated at 290), I believe the PB 200 was rated at 265hp if I remember correctly. (PB has since replaced the 200 with the "Edge" model..it's the same machine, only with PB 300 power, pumps, and motors. The 300 was rated at 330hp the last I knew).

Pisten Bully's are by FAR, the best machine out there in my opinion. For $200,000+, they better be. I could spend hours and hours in a PB and not get fatigued, not so for anything else I've ever run. (Run a steel/rubber tracked Tucker for 16 hours sometime...). Everything about the machines is top notch. Mercedes engines, Rexroth hydraulics, the fit and finish and all the creature comforts don't compare with anything else.

On the hill as well, they can't be beaten. Size alone probably has a lot to do with it in addition to track design, but I could push snow and climb hills like they weren't even there. For whatever reason, the PB 300's I ran with 330 horse seemed to have more power than the 365hp LMC 3700CFS. I don't really know why, but I'm assuming it has something to do with hydraulic efficiency and the ratios of the reduction boxes and planetaries.

Well, there's the rundown of some of my opinions. If anyone has any machine specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I figure I can help revive this topic/thread with some pics of the equipment I've operated.
2002 Lamtrac
102_1874.jpg

1999 Lamtrac
ericlamtrack.jpg

1996 Bombardier BR160
102_1867-1.jpg

1994 Tucker
normal_Scan10078.jpg

......and a 1988 Bombi(sorry, no pics)

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thiokol 1201
1200 spryte
2100-b
3700cf
3700 ac(van)
pb 130-d
pb200
br-100 bombi
Flextrac-nodwell fn-15
Thiokol4t2

Built the van on the 3700 ac chassis ,2006/2007 and rebuilt the 2100b, 1999/2000 . Both have been narrowed for snowmobile trails.

Attachments

• DSCN0585[1].JPG
    DSCN0585[1].JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,354

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Thiokol Spryte (USAF)
Thiokol Imp (USAF)
Bombardier ??? (USAF)
Kristi KT-3 (but not in snow yet)

...and that van above is sweeet.

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,389

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hate to pee on your parade Bob but that Kristi might actually somewhat work if you had all the tires under it. :pee_smilie: :yum:

Snow Tracs Rule!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeller Snow-OP,
Got the tire in the back of the truck to get it fixed today. And yer Snow-Crac will be running when?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OH! in that case you should have your "WHOLE" Kristi in the back of your truck to get it fixed.

As far as My SNOW MASTER it is coming along quite well. It was running just fine before I decided to take it apart and completely restore it to better than new condition. She was pulling out brand new stuck Tuckers 2000 XLs when they ventured into some real fine stuff my cat just thrives in. So far thats 1 Tucker and two Thiokols I have recovered. I am sure soon I will get a call for some assistance with a certain stuck Kristi. Dont feel bad and please dont let pride get in the way of that phone call and then my Camera. I promise not to have any pictures of you in the same frame! :moon: Then we will go and have a few drinks and discuss your next purchase of a "real" snowcat! :alc:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hell I will even give you a good trade in value on your Kristi. I know certain dump that would love to have the Kristi in the winter to run there guys to the Latrine.:yum:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell I will even give you a good trade in value on your Kristi. I know certain dump that would love to have the Kristi in the winter to run there guys to the Latrine.:yum:

So what you are saying is...when you absolutely, positively have to be somewhere, take a Kristi?

Attachments

• KT3-1.gif
    KT3-1.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 318

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Back for more I see.

No what I was saying is instead of them driving there big D-9 down the flat road to the Latrine they could simply jump in and #1 Either drive the Kristi to the latrine or #2 use the Kristi AS a latrine. :yum: :coolshade :moon: :beer:

:shit2:
The Kristi

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had some trouble down-loading this picture that I took in Fairbanks in 94' when I was doing my training for working on the 'Pipeline'.>
87truck.jpg
A couple years later I tried driving one of these 'B-12's' in deep, fresh powder. It turned sort of like a boat. There was a bit of time delay between when you steered it and when it actually started turning. Over the course of the next several years I watched as the machines were sold off one at a time.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
These machines belonged to the Geotechnical guy's that did Arctic surveying in the Alaska Cat Trains Thread and were retro fitted with a GM 6.2 Liter diesel, and additional 330 Gallon fuel tanks on the roof.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thats a great historical picture! Sure would love to have one of those. Even though they dont perform great in deep snow they still would be fun.