• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need New Sub Forum For Other Snow Cats

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
So if I hassle you long enough can I get a general snow cat sub forum before you can convert me to the "dark side"?

You can include all snow cats and gain a much broader membership base. I want to see info on all kinds of snow cats. Snow cats are very unique and you should address all brands. My interests are for all snowcats not just what I currently own and utilize.

Family Commuter (1500 LMC Snow Cat)
PC210051.jpg

My Workhorse (1200 LMC Snowcat)
PC150022.jpg

Willys Snow Cat (1200 LMC)
PC150014.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
So if I hassle you long enough can I get a general snow cat sub forum before you can convert me to the "dark side"?

You can include all snow cats and gain a much broader membership base. I want to see info on all kinds of snow cats. Snow cats are very unique and you should address all brands. My interests are for all snowcats not just what I currently own and utilize.
Simple answer is YES, and I may be talking out of turn by making that promise since I don't own the site. But the general feeling of Doc, our administrator here, and our moderators (I am only one of the mods) is that we are open to anything here that generates a community. But a word of caution here is that from my observations of the Snowcat sites out there, this is the most active of all of them and it is currently 90% Snow Trac, 9% Kristi, now 1% LMC. Koz's site is the next most active that I have found, and it is focused mostly on 'grooming' issues and populated mostly by 'groomers' with a few of us other folks who visit. I think the reason that we are active here is because we have common issues, mostly restoration and repair, and just having fun using them. Some of us are recreational users, others professional users, but we all pitch in to help each other out.

I think we'd gladly welcome other users of any and all brands:thumb:, and open more forums for them. But before we open new forums we need members to support them. If you can bring (or help me bring) other LMC owners, we can have an LMC forum, if you can bring (or help me bring) other brand owners here, we can open all sorts of forums to support them. I think I am like you, I like to learn about all brands.

Personally I like older equipment like the 4xx series Tuckers, the Kristis, the Sprites, Bombis and obviously my Snow Trac. (I like old cars & tractors too) I have no real interest in grooming. My ST4 is a family recreational vehicle for winter transport and fun.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Personally I like older equipment like the Kristis. (I like old cars & tractors too) My ST4 is a family recreational vehicle for winter transport and breaks down alot !!Watch where you step !
Edited my Al:whistle:

I always knew you like Kristi's best !!!:coolshade :coolshade
Big Al:tiphat:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:

What a nice rig, it's the bomb! :thumb: :applause:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I think the reason that we are active here is because we have common issues, mostly restoration and repair, and just having fun using them.

Exactly the reason you need to open up to all brands of snow cats. Restoration, private ownership for cabin and home access, along with the hobbist are reasons to open up and be the first with a recreational usage general snow cat sub forum. The recreational usage of snow cats is growing rapidly and there is no real forum for these people (brand xers) to learn from each other and share information. If no home for recreational usage with all brands of snow cats exists, we will just keep drifting until someone addresses the issues and provides a real forum for communication.

Koz's Grooming is a good site but orients towards trail grooming and the eastern US and Canada with very few members in the west. It has been all that was available in the past for many snow cat users with any viable worthwhile information and discussions of snow cats usage.

No one person can really bring and keep new members, you must create a site that will interest and make them want to participate. That will bring new members to your forums. Support will come if you are able to provide the information and ability for people to communicate and share their knowledge not limit there ability to communicate.

Thanks for at least considering a general usage sub forum that would be a start for all of us brand x snow cat people.:thumb:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Mtntopper ,

Ready nice snowcats !!!
I think there is room for all of us "Personal" snow catters here . I agree that this is the best site I have found for recreational snow cat users . Keep posting and adding your comments .

"Build it" and they will come !!!!

:tiphat: Big Al

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Exactly the reason you need to open up to all brands of snow cats. Restoration, private ownership for cabin and home access, along with the hobbist are reasons to open up and be the first with a recreational usage general snow cat sub forum. The recreational usage of snow cats is growing rapidly and there is no real forum for these people (brand xers) to learn from each other and share information. . .

No one person can really bring and keep new members, you must create a site that will interest and make them want to participate. That will bring new members to your forums. Support will come if you are able to provide the information and ability for people to communicate and share their knowledge not limit there ability to communicate.
Your point is taken, and accepted, but please also consider that to achieve a true broad base of support, we need to do some active recruiting and announcing of this website.

By my rough count, we have about 40 Snow Trac/Snow Master owners who registered here, probably 30 of them actively visit here to read (at least 1 visit every 24 to 72 hours) and perhaps 10 to 15 who actively post. We actually found most of those people at other sites and asked them to join us, either via a post, a P.M. or an email. There are somewhere between a half dozen to 10 Kristi owners who visit here (although BigAl seems to be the lone member who actually posts on an active basis). I've known Al from before he & I owned Snow Cats of any brand so I prodded him to join us.

I guess my point is, while we can simply create a forum and open it up, and people will come, I think that is the very slow way to develop a forum. I'm very open to altering what we have. I'd love to see more folks with Thiokol/DMC/LMC machines visiting and posting. I'd also love to see some of the folks with the classic Tucker Sno-Cats here. And we can pretty easily open up forums for each of them, with some general forums that we all share (like adventure, usage and restoration).

But honestly, I also believe that if you know someone with interests that are common to ours, then it would be beneficial to all to actively invite them to join us by sending them a message.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I think the point is at the moment it is the 'AKTIV SNOW TRAC ST4 and Kristi Snow Cats' area and thats kinda exclusive. Either it need to be 'snow cats' forum or make another one to cover the other brands.
Its all in the name.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All good points here.

I do think there is room for dedicated brand forums for brand specific issues, and I do agree that we have a lot of commonality where we could share some forums.

As we continue to grow, we'll have to figure out where the crossover/common uses are and where brand specific information is, and then look at divisions of the forums to better help all of the snowcat brand posters. Some of these brands have very unique issues, like the Snow Trac 'variator belt' and drive system. Others use hydraulic drive/turn and any hydraulic drive/turn operates pretty much like any other hydraulic drive/turn system. Still others use a brake turn system, and again all those share common design elements with other brands that use the same system.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just realized something . . . we have another member who owns an LMC. Mountain Home Lodge uses a 10 passenger LMC and a Snow Trac. The Snow Trac has been featured on this site, but not the LMC.

I guess we'll have to see about getting some additional information and input!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
And dont forget BYoung he owns the Super Imp in one of my "Yellow Snow Club" post which is a LMC DMC Thiokol ect ect

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
And dont forget BYoung he owns the Super Imp in one of my "Yellow Snow Club" post which is a LMC DMC Thiokol ect ect
OK now here comes the rub. We have identified 3 people with LMC units. So we have the start of a group, but unless we get some posts, there will be untapped interest and unfullfilled potential.

I will gladly work to modify the Sub-Forum titles to make them more welcoming to other brands, but it really is up to the members who own these machines to get their questions, photos, adventures, posted to make the forum useful for the brand.

Of course we have to figure out if the "LMC people" are good and honest people like the Snow Trac people:a1:, of if they are like BigAl and the Kristi guys :eek:.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello everyone :wave:

B_Skurka sent me a link to this site and it looks like fun :coolshade I have a '74 Thiokol IMP that I use to move logs and trailers around my woodlot. NH recently banned the use of anything wider than 52" on thier snowmachine trails but I have enough land to drive the cat around some and build new trails for it and to access trees/wood for my bandsawmill.

Hope I can contribute to your discussions and learn more about snowcats.

:D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
pixie all I can say is: :weneedpic :weneedpic :weneedpic

Do you use the IMP to pull the logs in the summer too? Or do you use a tractor?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I had been lurking in the background off and on for sometime on this forum. The sub forums were just too brand specific and as a "
good and honest people
" I did not want to crash the party. Now that you have opened up to all brands, I will be here to try and keep you Sno Trac people "honest". I know it is a big job. I am sure I will get some help from my fellow country men ( Big Al ,the other Kristi owners and all the brand xers, who also utilize American made products in their pursuit of deep snow dreams.:D

I am sure there are other "lurkers" out there, watching to see what happens. Now is the time to come out of the closet and start posting. I am sure we can make an impact on these people who prefer to bring in foreign made cats. We might even convert some of them from this "dark side".:beer:

Thanks again for listening and I hope the brand xers don't disappoint all of you who helped to establish the forums.:thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we Snow Trac folks are an international lot. :thumb:

While some of us with big mouths do live in the US, we have a guy in Bagdhad with big guns :gun2_smi: who lives in England and a mean lady in Wales who has a dog that will bite your butt!

Not to mention the folks from Canada, New Zealand, Austria, Iceland, Poland and northern points in the US from NY to Alaska. Basically what I am saying is that us Snow Trac owners are EVERYWHERE, our Swedish cats are battle proven and we can find you and we can destroy you! :poke: Or at least poke you with a stick! :yum:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome Pixie,:D

I am happy you have joined the group. As a minority brand owners group on this forum, I am sure we will have some "fun" and learn from all the others. It really would not take too long to have enough brand xers and we can change the whole format from what it is now to Thiokol, DMC and LMC.:beer:

Go to go to the shop today as I have a 1500 LMC in pieces and need to get it back together this year. It justs gets to be a bigger project each day as I discover more "hidden treasures" deep inside.;)

Again Welcome Aboard,:thumb:

Bill

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
have a 1500 LMC in pieces and need to get it back together this year. It justs gets to be a bigger project each day as I discover more "hidden treasures" deep inside.;)

Sounds to me like you need to start up a restoration thread of your very own :weneedpic

And you and BigAl have a lot in common . . . snowcats that are in pieces and unable to go play in the snow :whistle:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Of course we have to figure out if the "LMC people" are good and honest people like the Snow Trac people:a1:, of if they are like BigAl and the Kristi guys :eek:.

Bogus Bob ,
Have you ever noticed that all Kristi owners wear white hats and all Snow Trac owner wear black hats ???? Does that not tell you something ???

Do you remember the Big Screen Movie of the 1960's , " Sons of the Kristi Kat Klub" when John Wayne and his brothers were accused my the evil marshall of illegal acts and were hauled off to jail . Did you notice what type of wagon....uh... I mean snow cat that they were riding in ??? That was a Kristi . A KT4 I believe , if my memory serves me right . The marshall rode in a Snow Trac that kept breaking down !!!! That should prove something !!! :moon:

John Wayne only wore white hats , drove Kristi's and was the best damn U.S. President we ever had . God Bless America !!!
Oh!!! and he is a honorary member of the Kristi Kat Klub!!!!!!

BigAl:coolshade

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
And you and BigAl have a lot in common . . . snowcats that are in pieces and unable to go play in the snow :whistle:

Hey Bogus ???
Did you ever take your training wheels off you Snow Trac ???:yum: :yum: :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Have you ever noticed that all Kristi owners wear white hats and all Snow Trac owner wear black hats ???? Does that not tell you something ???
Since I've been kicked out of the Kristi Klub (and trying to join Bob's club), let me see if I can answer.

Is it because everyone has on a black hat but the Snow Trac guys are inside their machines while the Kristi guys are outside in the snow working on theirs and they've been out there so long the snow is now sticking to the hat? :poke:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Hey Bogus ???
Did you ever take your training wheels off you Snow Trac ???:yum: :yum: :yum:
My snow may not get as deep as yours, but at least I take my machine out to play in the snow. Let me rephrase that, I drive my machine outside while it is snowing an enjoy using it as it was intended to be used. :17875:

:flame2: You, on the other hand, load your pieces up on a flatbed, tow them out into the driveway and let the snow fall on them :whistle:

BC, we don't have childish names, but you can join our group. Just pitch in for the beer :beer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Since I've been kicked out of the Kristi Klub (and trying to join Bob's club), let me see if I can answer.

Is it because everyone has on a black hat but the Snow Trac guys are inside their machines while the Kristi guys are outside in the snow working on theirs and they've been out there so long the snow is now sticking to the hat? :poke:

You know ... Its worthless to try and explain valuable information to you democrats . I give up !!!

So I am changing the direction of this "Thread" and just going to say
Welcome Pixie!

I almost bought a Imp as my first snow cat. It held about 214 people ! That thing was a bus on tracks . Do you have any pictures??? Maybe one or two showing you running over a Snow Trac ??:moon:

Big Al:coolshade

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the welcomes :D

I will put up some pictures as soon as I find the directions.....

Is there a " Hunting for something " smilie ???

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I always have a snow cat repair to dirty my hands with but my "hat only turns black" when I have to work on a Sno Trac. I am sure its not snow sticking to my white hat. Is it the oil leaks or just the nature of the machine, much like the older Harleys I use to enjoy. I do hope and am sure the Sno Tracs are more dependable than the old Harley?????:rolleyes: My wife says that I bleed snow cat oil and grease, not blood. I will not argue that point with her.:smileywac

We always have at least one snow cat ready to go as that is how we must access our home at 8450 foot elevation in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming during the winter. Never can tell what "Mother Nature" will throw at you at this elevation. My workhorse is the 1200 LMC and it is ready for a beer run :beer: or work as needed. The family commuter 1500 LMC is being updated and repaired at this time, nothing major just keep finding more "hidden treasures" to keep me busy and out of the snow. :D

My Prior Project Snow Cat 1974 Thiokol Imp " Garfield On Snowshoes" Sold Last Year
236223840CEKZod_fs.jpg

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow . That is a beautiful picture . I can see how important it would be to have a reliable snow cat ,in your situation .

So how many months a year do you depend are your snowcat for travel ? At 8450 elevation I can guess it would be awhile .

BigAl

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Snow cat season can start as early as November and last through May some years. This has actually been a lousy year for snow in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. Weather has been very warm and the snow comes and goes when it should be staying on the ground. Today was almost 60 degrees and the snow is looking pitiful. :mad:

I get kinda grumpy if I cannot be running the snow cat at this time of year.:( The wife says snow cats are an obsession with me. I just think she is jealous!!! Does anyone else have a spouse with the same opinion of snow cats????

Actually she is a very competent snow cat operater herself. She enjoys getting out and about in the cat seeing the sights of winter around our home. We are fortunate to be able to just get in the cat and go for miles from our own property. We border the national forest and have the opportunty to explore many untracked and remote mountain winter areas next to our home.:beer:

Our Backyard View Of The Hazelton Peaks
P2190001.jpg

The Better Half Driving On A Sunday Ride I Must Of Been :drink:
P2190061.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GREAT pics Mtntopper. Beautiful up there! What a view.
I like your snow cat to. It looks like it could go about anywhere with those
wide tracks. Nice!!!! :thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
You know ... Its worthless to try and explain valuable information to you democrats . I give up !!!

So I am changing the direction of this "Thread" and just going to say
Welcome Pixie!

I almost bought a Imp as my first snow cat. It held about 214 people ! That thing was a bus on tracks . Do you have any pictures??? Maybe one or two showing you running over a Snow Trac ??:moon:

Big Al:coolshade

WELL BIGAL you should have bought that IMP!. Now your just an old tired out KKK member who gets no respect at all. (Kristi Klan Klub)

Stop trying to get Snow Tracs in the yard and burn them. Thats so 50's. It funny but have you noticed that your Kristi Klan Klub is alway the minority? Hmmm in one day we get three people who have LMCs and once again your Klub (Notice cool spelling) is still in the minority. Maybe if you would quit drinking and save that beer money you might actually be able to Get a REAL Snowcat. I mean just look at the condition your Kristi is in right now. (all of them for that matter) Not one is running! OK that was low. You are trying your best. Instead of KKK try AA instead!:drink: I know its hard but your life is really worth having any other snowcat in it. Please BigAl I think I speak for all of us when I say we care about you. And it really hurts to see you keep posting pictures of your broke dick Kristi.

:moon: :D