• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

boston whaler question

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
hey Boat guys can you tell me what I have. I just picked up a 13 foot boston whaler with an inboard 2 cylinder 2 cycle jet unit in it. i'm assuming it's a pwc power plant but if its something grafted in they did a right nice job. also its a complete package with boat trailer and fish finder ready to go any idea of what a real value is I took it on trade.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here are the pics of my new little toy. i'm thinking of taking the kids out fishing tomorrow. and try it out with some late fall trout fishing

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
have to try this again this time I hope the pics come through

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 163

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
No, that is a factory install, very nice lines to it as well.

What year? On the right side (Starboard) of the transom (rear of boat) there is a Hull ID number. The last two didgits should be the year the boat was manufactured. That will give you a starting point of the boat's value. How many hours on the engine is the next big item to know about.

On those boats, if there is a small hole or crack in the hull, water will get into the foam and wick throughout the boat, the boat will be really heavy, which is from all that water. If that is the case, I can tell you how to get rid of that later on, if not, then no big deal!

Good looking boat otherwise!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What happens if the hull has taken on water, and winter comes?? Does the hull rupture and crack??

dds I hope yours is dry inside...

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
No, that is a factory install, very nice lines to it as well.

What year? On the right side (Starboard) of the transom (rear of boat) there is a Hull ID number. The last two didgits should be the year the boat was manufactured. That will give you a starting point of the boat's value. How many hours on the engine is the next big item to know about.

On those boats, if there is a small hole or crack in the hull, water will get into the foam and wick throughout the boat, the boat will be really heavy, which is from all that water. If that is the case, I can tell you how to get rid of that later on, if not, then no big deal!

Good looking boat otherwise!
the bottom of the hull looks pretty good I would how ever like to know how to dewater a foam hull as that may be good info to know. I have turned down some good deals on Carolina skiffs and whalers in the past for saturation problems. this boat is the early 90's the first 2 years of production they used the Yamaha package which was a mid engine configuration. after that they went to a rear mounted omc than merc package which I have read are now hard to find parts fo,r and had performance problems due to weight balance. the Yamaha engine and pump comes from a wave runner 650 and both factory and aftermarket performance parts are available. yes I did my home work on weather or not I could find parts to fix it.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
It is very similar to the one my son has that lives in Washington State. It is a very good boat and they have been around a long time.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
the bottom of the hull looks pretty good I would how ever like to know how to dewater a foam hull as that may be good info to know. I have turned down some good deals on Carolina skiffs and whalers in the past for saturation problems.

Well it isn't a quick fix to get rid of the water trapped in the hull, but I can give you the quick version of a fix.

Imagine a boat with just one hull layer. When you pick up the bow of the boat with water in it, the water will flow to the stern at the lowest point, which is normally the keel, on most Whalers, they have a tri-hull, in your case the jet divides the back of the hull into two sides with the jet system in the middle.

With the boat on the ground, look at the back of the boat and you can see where the low points are at. Take a drill (about 1/2") and put a hole in from the back or bottom of the hull's skin (one on each low point for starters, more if needed). Then raise up the bow so that the water in the foam will start to migrate to that lowest point, it may take a few months, so don't plan on using the boat for a bit!.

"DO NOT" use air to help push out the water, just a half a PSI can cause the hull sections to inflate and rip apart the foam bonding samwiched between the two fiberglass section ruining the strength of the hull!

Once you have drilled the main hull holes, take a long 1/4" type rod and poke it up into the foam inside the hull, this gives the water a place to drain to and allows it to drain out of the boat much quicker. Just push the rod up one or two directions, that will be all you need to do. Then wait until the water stops dripping out of the holes.

Once the water stops dripping out after a few weeks/months, then you will need to mix up a fiberglass resin, sand out the hole with a small file, mix up some shreaded fiberglass matting, mix it with the resin and poke in into the holes to perminatly plug them and stop the water from going back into the hull. It would be a good time to patch the hole that caused the water to leak into the hull in the first place as well if it is not already done.

You can buy jelcoat resin that is the same color as the boat hull and use that to make the hull all one color if it is important to you, if not, it will be underwater and nobody will see the patches.

That is the short version, and done if you have a water logged hull from a damaged hole in the hull. You can have up to thousands of pounds of water in the hull's foam depending on what size the boat is, not to mention it won't have much floatation if it is waterlogged and will use a lot of gas to get going anywhere because of the excess weight.

Hopefully, your boat is dry and that isn't an issue, but if it is waterlogged, you want to remove the water before it freezes in winter, that will also tear up the foam/fiberglass bonding internally as well from freezing and expanding.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
thanks mines pretty light I took it out with Minime the other night he had a blast. the boat is light and easy for one guy to push around and handle. I found with the mid mount jet unit that putting the kids in front and than spinning the bow out into the current, it was easy to push the boat off and jump in to the stern with out jumping over an out board. the performance was on par with the same sized boat with a 30 horse and prop the plus side Is you don't have to pick your way up a river it was incredible where this little boat would go, and over a 3 hour period of time I only used about 2.5 gallons of gas

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
thanks mines pretty light I took it out with Minime the other night he had a blast. the boat is light and easy for one guy to push around and handle. I found with the mid mount jet unit that putting the kids in front and than spinning the bow out into the current, it was easy to push the boat off and jump in to the stern with out jumping over an out board. the performance was on par with the same sized boat with a 30 horse and prop the plus side Is you don't have to pick your way up a river it was incredible where this little boat would go, and over a 3 hour period of time I only used about 2.5 gallons of gas

Well sounds like you got a pretty good deal then. Just remember not to bounce off rocks going in the shallows with the fiberglass hull!

Does it have an hour meter? IF so, how many hours on it?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Well sounds like you got a pretty good deal then. Just remember not to bounce off rocks going in the shallows with the fiberglass hull!

Does it have an hour meter? IF so, how many hours on it?
no hour meter it has spent most of its time in salt water the zinc's are still about 50 %. you are so right about jumping gravel bars. the one thing did notice having been in larger boats when the water gets shallow you hear and feel the boat lift up this one planes so well you never here or feel a difference.