• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Woodworking - Nixon's new dovetail saw

AndyM

Charter Member
A few miles to the south of me, Nixon's caught up with the firewood for a while, so he's turned his attention to woodworking. Here he is with his new dovetail saw...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyXFE_biEwc&list=UURyl8vU65g8fw4qUj0xMjug&index=5&feature=plcp"]Dovetails Fast and Furious, Crazy Canadian Woodworking - YouTube[/ame]

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon don't use electric. He has one of those ported hot rod saws powering his!:whistling::clap:

AndyM

Charter Member
Hey Andy , good to see you posting . I bought that gem from LB59 . Works pretty good if you don't mind the fumes and getting chain oil on you and the wood !

After you're proficient with dovetails, it's time to move on to finger joints...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjSjCtjnom8&list=UURyl8vU65g8fw4qUj0xMjug&index=10&feature=plcp"]Crazy Canadian Woodworking Finger Joint - YouTube[/ame]

Then it's time to fire up the new lathe...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04&list=UURyl8vU65g8fw4qUj0xMjug&index=3&feature=plcp"]Woodturning with 150hp lathe -Crazy Canadian Woodworking - YouTube[/ame]

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Been doing that for years ! Just gotta know how to file a chain . As to turning thing , can't beat 76 ford f250 .... Lots of torque, great gearing , and large wheel wells .
Heck I can even open a beer bottle with a saw . Comes in handy at times .

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
The finger joints is a keeper! I'll try that when making my next bench.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
As promised , opening a beer with a chainsaw .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-slvv_ZT4"]Opening Beer with Chainsaw - YouTube[/ame]
Mind You , it has to be a Stihl 290 ,or 390 ,as anything else will be too powerful .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
The finger joints is a keeper! I'll try that when making my next bench.

.325 semi chisel will be the best for precision work like that . If You make a mistake , I find that it's easy to hide using a recip saw .

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
So, You admit to owning an Ms 290 ? Brave man !
Yes I do! Otherwise known (I think) as a 311y... also a MS 261 and 2 Homelites, 1 super XL built back when Homelite actually built good saws. Don't remember what the other one is but it's pure junk. Bought it a couple of years ago, used it for a day and litterly threw it in the corner of the barn. It hasn't been moved since except for when I kick it out of the way every now and then.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My MS 390 is stock and it'll blow your ported and turbo'ed Huskatailwagger in the weeds wanna run'em??:yum::yum:

Your going to have to drive a few hours though....:whistling::yum::yum:

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cause of your Stihl fear, that thing you have been carying around with you since the first time you ran one.:sad: You know they are the best, but somehow you were taken over to the other side the dark side of the force......:ermm: NOW you only secretly wish for the white and orange of pillar of power and torque.....:brows:

But us Jedi will prevail!:clap:

Regards dude it's just fun! And just a wee bit of scotch...:wink:

Kirk

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Cause of your Stihl fear, that thing you have been carying around with you since the first time you ran one.:sad: You know they are the best, but somehow you were taken over to the other side the dark side of the force......:ermm: NOW you only secretly wish for the white and orange of pillar of power and torque.....:brows:

But us Jedi will prevail!:clap:

Regards dude it's just fun! And just a wee bit of scotch...:wink:

Kirk

Stihl fear ? I've got an 044 that's ported . Absolutely wonderful saw . So much for secretly wishing . My problem isn't with the brand , it's with the models that are sub standard . The 290 and the 390 are right up there ,as are the Husq. rancher series . Pure crap .

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
For occasional use I get along with the 390, but I am not means in the same leage as you when it comes to cutting wood. I will how ever say that it is the biggest saw I have worked with too, with the 36" toal length bar in it.

I wish I could see and run your 044 then I would know the difference. I am sure there is. But the day I bought mine it was available for a price I could see paying for it. I wanted to try a Stihl and see what folks had been talking about. I needed a bigger saw to fell dead trees, to big for the saws we have around. I like the chain tightener alot from the out side, the easy of starting with the compresion realease, and the fact it hasn't been back to the sales and sevice place since I have been using it.:flowers:

Oh and sorry I was thinking your a husky fan.....

It may be a piece of shit, but so far the turd hasn't melted in my hands yet so I know it's a turd...

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon,,

BTW what makes the saws you list duds? I am kinda wondering what you think too...

Thanks, Kirk

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon,,

BTW what makes the saws you list duds? I am kinda wondering what you think too...

Thanks, Kirk

It's just to me that both companies make much better saws . The rancher and farm boss series are heavy for their power . That doesn't really make them duds . It's just that I like to get as much reliable power out of a saw as I can . Home owner type saws just won't stand up to that .
That , and I just like to get a rise out of you as I know your 390 has been a good saw .:poke:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
For occasional use I get along with the 390, but I am not means in the same leage as you when it comes to cutting wood. I will how ever say that it is the biggest saw I have worked with too, with the 36" toal length bar in it.

I wish I could see and run your 044 then I would know the difference. I am sure there is. But the day I bought mine it was available for a price I could see paying for it. I wanted to try a Stihl and see what folks had been talking about. I needed a bigger saw to fell dead trees, to big for the saws we have around. I like the chain tightener alot from the out side, the easy of starting with the compresion realease, and the fact it hasn't been back to the sales and sevice place since I have been using it.:flowers:

Oh and sorry I was thinking your a husky fan.....

It may be a piece of shit, but so far the turd hasn't melted in my hands yet so I know it's a turd...

Regards, Kirk

Kirk , My 044 is by far and away my favorite saw ,period . I've had it since '99 .I just spent over $500 rebuilding it Will I get My money back on that ? Nope . But , it's got all new bearings ,lines ,filters and rings ,along with a rebuilt carb and very mild port and muffler work . So , I'm not a total Husky fanboy . If You are wondering why I get stock saws modded .look at these videos . They are of My 90 cc 390 xp in old white oak .
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xHXQtSDqfU&feature=related"]Nixon stock 390xp before porting - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wG4T_NVsQg&lr=1&feature=mhee"]Nixon 390xp after porting - YouTube[/ame]
In both videos it wearing a 8 pin drive sprocket ,as opposed to 7pin .
Plastic crankcase saws just won't take that kind of modification and hold up .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
My MS 390 is stock and it'll blow your ported and turbo'ed Huskatailwagger in the weeds wanna run'em??:yum::yum:

Your going to have to drive a few hours though....:whistling::yum::yum:

Regards, Kirk

Been thinking about this Kirk . Tell You what I'm gonna do ...I'll let You pick one of My saws to run . Your choices are .... 372 XP , 390 xp .
You have to run them on SEF 94 40-1 fuel ,or the deals off . I'll pay for shipping out there , You pay return . Bet You'll sing the praises of turbo'ed Huskatailwaggers :yum: I'll even include 7 and 8 pin sprockets and full and semi chisel chains for your enjoyment .

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Now you're the brave man Nixon. What makes you think he'll send it back? :wink: