• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What search engine to you use?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Duh, I bet I know the answer: Google. I feel it's always good to have an alternative. At times I get to trusting Google to much. It is better to have a few favorite search engines in your bookmarks ready to go. If you have the time, try the same search on multiple engines & compare results. You just might find a new favorite. :D

----------------------------
Top 100 Alternative Search Engines

This cool feature, courtesy of ReadWriteWeb.Com, presents the "Top
100 Alternative Search Engines" for the more discerning and ambitious Web
browsers.

Learn about cool, alternative "engines that could" that may not be better
than Google on the whole, but are far superior in the specific areas in
which they search. Standouts include GoshMe.Com, TheFind.Com, Hakia.Com, and other lesser-known but excellent search engines.

At the end of the year the site will select its "Alternative Search Engine of the Year".

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/top_100_alternative_search_engines_feb07.php

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Google. I don't have much time to surf when I'm at work
(because I'm always on this site!)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had been using Google exclusively, but found that switching to Yahoo! sometimes yields some better results from time to time so I just reset my default search engine to Yahoo! Honestly I don't think one is better than the other, I think that it is a situational. Yahoo! is simply different and since I often search for the same thing, I get some different relavent hits with a different engine.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too use google pretty much exclusively.

To see some differences, plug in unique phrases. E.g. I entered bczoom as my search.
Google had about 8400 hits
Yahoo had about 2000 hits
MSN had under 1000 hits

I don't have time to look or compare results.
Maybe MSN is better since it "may" have omitted duplicates. Maybe it's worse since it can't find what the google bot can.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll admit it, I've been exclusively google also. But we might be missing out. I'm going to make a point to try the not so well known, but well thought of seach engines such as: GoshMe.Com, TheFind.Com, Hakia.Com

I used to use Mamma.com also (The Mother of All Search engines). It searches google, MSN, Yahoo and other search engines for you then compiles the results. But google has done such a good job I had not even looked at others lately. I think the google toolbar is a big reason for that ....those folks know what they are going. :rolleyes: