• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Quick oil change = Rip off artists!

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok.. so Diana went to Freeport TX for vacation. She drove her car.
Had it checked out before the trip. Green light. Nothing was wrong with it. She decided to get a oil change before the trip home. The mechanic told her she had better spend $800.00 before making the trip!!! New brakes - new rotors - new fuel injectors!!! GAD!
I get a cell phone call from her crying about this big repair bill.
I told her to just pay the 19.95 oil change and leave. She did that.
The next day, she took her car in to a Chevy dealer... and said what
was said. Nope! Brakes like new and rotors fine! Fuel injectors shot?
What a joke! I think this shop saw a young girl with WI plates on her car and were trying to fuck her over big time. If I had the time and money, I'd go down there and poke a big stick into that operation!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Life lesson for her. They take advantage when they think they can get away with it. I quit using those kind of places years ago. Local garage does my truck or suburban for $23. Been using him for 7 years and he is fair and honest. I miss having my own grease pit at the old farm.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Name, address, phone number, website, etc of that business please. And if possible the names of the employees involved, I'll post it all over the internet and teach 'em a lesson. As we all should. I bet in a few short minutes, if each one of us posted the story on the other sites we visit, the place would be bombarded with emails and phone calls.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a copy of the customer complaint I sent to Midas:

Midas Auto Services Experts
149 Highway 332 West
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
(979) 297-0353
This shop is is a scam shop. My 18 yr old daughter took a trip to TX and stopped in there for an oil change before the trip home. She was told she needed brakes, rotors and new fuel injectors to the tune of $600.00 bucks. I told her to just pay for the oil change and leave. The next day, she had a different mechanic check them things... and said no problem. And she did drive 1,300 miles home no problem. So.. I think it is worth reporting that this shop was taking advantage of a young girl with out of state plates.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
TSAW,Now that they have your contact info they are going to send you coupons and sales stuff in the mail.:hammer::yum::yum:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Yea... you are right... but at least I sent in the complaint:biggrin:

Lia

Banned
Ok.. so Diana went to Freeport TX for vacation. She drove her car.
Had it checked out before the trip. Green light. Nothing was wrong with it. She decided to get a oil change before the trip home. The mechanic told her she had better spend $800.00 before making the trip!!! New brakes - new rotors - new fuel injectors!!! GAD!
I get a cell phone call from her crying about this big repair bill.
I told her to just pay the 19.95 oil change and leave. She did that.
The next day, she took her car in to a Chevy dealer... and said what
was said. Nope! Brakes like new and rotors fine! Fuel injectors shot?
What a joke! I think this shop saw a young girl with WI plates on her car and were trying to fuck her over big time. If I had the time and money, I'd go down there and poke a big stick into that operation!!

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! Now, I never take any car in for repair or a service; I get a male relative, or male friend to take 'em in. They see a woman coming... Its outrageous!

Name, address, phone number, website, etc of that business please. And if possible the names of the employees involved, I'll post it all over the internet and teach 'em a lesson. As we all should. I bet in a few short minutes, if each one of us posted the story on the other sites we visit, the place would be bombarded with emails and phone calls.

I don't know about the legalities of such a scheme waybomb, but I love the way you think!

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Lia

I don't know about the legalities of such a scheme

As long as you clearly state that it was your opinion, or post demonstrable facts, would it be OK? I really do not know for sure, jest asking. It seems that freedom of speech is different for individuals than businesses, or the press.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a quick oil change shop, locally, for rudimentary things. The nly problem that I have had is that they tend to not grease the front end. I always check and make them do it. Other than that, no worries.

They are a tool, not a solution.

On a cross country trip, long ago, I was getting fuel and the attendant got all excited, asked me to put my car on a lift and told me that my tires were about to throw the caps. After I smiled and said that new tires did not have caps, please put my car down things were fine.

Lia

Banned
On a cross country trip, long ago, I was getting fuel and the attendant got all excited, asked me to put my car on a lift and told me that my tires were about to throw the caps. After I smiled and said that new tires did not have caps, please put my car down things were fine.

haha... I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that particular venue and conversation! Nice one!

Trakternut

They're a modern day version of some of the old service stations where they'd pump your gas, check your oil or tires and slice your fan belt so they could sell you a new one. :doh:

One trick you can do, too, is mark your oil filter in a place not easily seen. After you've had your oil change, look and see if they really did change the filter. Also, check the drain plug to be sure that they tightened it. I've known of folks seeing a drip on the garage floor, where none was before, checked and the plug was barely hand tight.