• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat skiing 2017-2018 season

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
I started this thread to post pictures and stories from cat skiing adventures this season. It would be awesome if all of you post pictures of your cat skiing trips here.

A week ago it seemed unlikely that we would get to go snowcat skiing anytime soon. But I got a call late Friday night from my crew saying that Corona Bowl outside Winter Park had enough snow for an adventure. So I loaded up the cat and headed out early Saturday morning. To my surprise there was so much snow. We drove the 10+ miles up the pass in the cat and explored the area. We did some off trail stuff and I was super impressed with my cats capabilities. Then we hiked and skied a couple of runs. Later in the year we can cat ski those same runs. The snow conditions were perfect, we couldn't believe that our first runs of the year were this luxurious.
We left around dark and the roads were crazy with blowing snow and icy conditions. We were one of the last cars to go over burthod pass. We lucked out and got off I-70 before it closed. Finally I made it to my road but I couldn't get up one of the super steep hills. Actually ended up sliding backwards with my tuck and trailer. Had to ditch my truck trailer and cat at a friend's house and get a ride home. Great but crazy day.
IMG_20171223_105051_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171223_114045_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171223_115424_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171223_123159_hdr.jpg

PJL

Thanks Sean. So your fuel pump problems are solved? Do you you have any videos of that cat in action?

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
The railroad trestle is from the old Rollins Pass. You drive right up to it, I'll get a closer picture next time.

The fuel system problems seem to be solved. We drove it all day and it didn't stall, didn't have negative pressure in the gas tank and ran perfectly. I still need to try a very steep hill to be sure, maybe the next trip. And I'll get some video of the cat going off trail.

forum8fox

Such an awesome start to the season. Stoked to get back out there when we can see. Would be cool to get all the way out to the end of the pass or even to that sub peak. Would also be sweet to find a way to the bottom of the bowl to the NW of the trestle too (or maybe a cat powered rope tow lol). Either way lots of potential up there if willing to hike. Maybe next time we can plan ahead and get a few cats out there.

undy

Looks like a lot of fun. You guys suck! Thanks for the photos.

Is that a pair of Hellbents I see? My favorites for deep snow.

If you've got hydraulics on your cat, you might be able to power a tow with a hydraulic motor? My rope tow only uses 1/2" rope with rope grippers. Super lightweight. Mount a top wheel to a tree and tension the rope with the cat.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe next time we can plan ahead and get a few cats out there.

We should definitely get out there again and with more cats. I can think of a guy with a new yellow snowcat that is probably itching to put some hours on it. So what do you say Aaron, cat ski Corona this weekend?

Undy- those are my K2 hell bents. Definitely my favorite and only pair. Great idea on the rope tow. We do have hydraulics, I am gonna have to start shopping for tow rope parts.

forum8fox

That's sweet someone has figured out a rope tow. I was thinking about a thousand feet of cheap home depot rope tied together, a potatoe gun to send the rope down a couple people side slipping a track for a tobogan/ sled/ tube or something. Then just drive the cat down the trail. Lol. It could be handy to have options for simplifying the access when it's not so easy to just drive to the bottom or top. The bowl was so tempting I almost would be willing to boot back up. Not to mention the road gap potential right there. Now I am also curious about the other side of the pass and what else might be fair game in the IPW. I love exploring new areas that have potential for good skiing. So excited for what the next couple years will open for us.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
merry christmas

may I suggest, doing it the oldie fashion way,

1 - Tucker Sno-Cat

1 - long rope

1- awesome hill

15 or so skiers

and there you go, a rope tow to go

Attachments

• img018.jpg
    img018.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 818

Red130

Looks like a lot of fun. You guys suck! Thanks for the photos.

Is that a pair of Hellbents I see? My favorites for deep snow.

If you've got hydraulics on your cat, you might be able to power a tow with a hydraulic motor? My rope tow only uses 1/2" rope with rope grippers. Super lightweight. Mount a top wheel to a tree and tension the rope with the cat.

Very interesting! What length do you set up? With time/effort for setup does it work out somehow better than simply transporting with the cat?

EDIT: After reading again, probably you're not running your tow from your cat?

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Great picture, Pontoon Princess. Looks like a fun time.

When it's good it's good. We did a skin and ski on Burthod pass today. Lots of snow and fun to be had. We stopped at one of the little cabins for a break. I know it's not cat skiing but I didn't think anyone would be to mad.
IMG_20171225_132517_hdr.jpg

Ski.jpg

undy

Dave,

Yup, my cat's just for grooming a base. The rope tow is 440' long and takes 55 seconds bottom to top.

The main reason I do it that way is that I'm usually skiing by myself.

Red130

Dave,

Yup, my cat's just for grooming a base. The rope tow is 440' long and takes 55 seconds bottom to top.

The main reason I do it that way is that I'm usually skiing by myself.

Thanks, that is great! 55 sec for 440' sounds pretty quick.

Aaron Tucker

Awesome Sean! We are going to take the Prinoth out this weekend . We are thinking Vail but this looks really good to .

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our first run. Skinny sno. Those who attended the Cat's Meow will know where this is.

Attachments

• Silcox Hut 2017.jpg
    Silcox Hut 2017.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 781

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Went cat skiing at Vail pass today. The snow was good, we could definitely use some more. Some but not all of the roads are groomed. I think we got about 6 laps in. Explored some new terrain near Ptarmigan peak. Ran into some cool cats and enjoyed some BBQ and did some shoveling. I'll let someone else tell that story. Overall it was a great day with fun people.
IMG_20171230_100952_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171230_133525.jpg

IMG_20171230_153529_hdr.jpg

forum8fox

Quality day for sure! I think I got 7 runs. Also a great ending to the day running into the other part of the crew out there. Loved seeing all the other cats and enjoying the very friendly group of people. The snows is definitely a little thin up there still but the lack in quality from last weekend was nicely complimented by number of laps and as previously stated the company. Thanks to all, can't wait to finish my project up and get it on the trail with you all!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not the west definition but we got some some cat skiing in today Massachusetts style !

Groomer rope tow toasty warm single digits today.

Day 1 2018

Attachments

• 387DAB1F-E1BE-4EBB-A918-05AF9094D1C6.jpg
    387DAB1F-E1BE-4EBB-A918-05AF9094D1C6.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 667
  • A6FC8E2B-A5E4-42BE-94D6-4BC731C99002.png
    A6FC8E2B-A5E4-42BE-94D6-4BC731C99002.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 765

Aaron Tucker

Went cat skiing at Vail pass today. The snow was good, we could definitely use some more. Some but not all of the roads are groomed. I think we got about 6 laps in. Explored some new terrain near Ptarmigan peak. Ran into some cool cats and enjoyed some BBQ and did some shoveling. I'll let someone else tell that story. Overall it was a great day with fun people.
View attachment 94821

View attachment 94822

View attachment 94823

Yes Yes Yes ! it was a great day/ days had by all !
season opener for our family . We had 4 cats out with us on Saturday:wow:and about 20 people .We did not get as many laps as we had hoped for but it was great seeing everyone out for the first day of the season.Sean thanks for all the help with Travis's 1544 ! Travis can tell everyone his story :wink:

my girls even got to play with their Kitty Kat

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_114334371.jpg
    IMG_20171231_114334371.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_20171230_135255414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171230_135255414_HDR.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_20171230_145215056_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171230_145215056_HDR.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_20171230_145222863_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171230_145222863_HDR.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_20171231_151131631.jpg
    IMG_20171231_151131631.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_20171231_151057145.jpg
    IMG_20171231_151057145.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 631

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great to see the kids enjoying the winter. Get yourself a ORPS deep snow kit for the kitty cat and reverse the track. Makes it a whole different experience. Also comes with new spindles to make it wider.

Night and Day difference!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Great thread and great photos!

Well below average snowfall in Utah as well. I understand a recent storm stayed north and dumped 60" or so in Montana.

Aaron Tucker

Great to see the kids enjoying the winter. Get yourself a ORPS deep snow kit for the kitty cat and reverse the track. Makes it a whole different experience. Also comes with new spindles to make it wider.

Night and Day difference![/QUOTE

Thanks for the info I didn't know about the kit . should make the Kitty kat better in the powder !

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Went cat skiing on Vail pass today. Got about 7 laps in today. Lots of snow to be ridden. Had two new people in our group. Rescued two snowmobiles. Drove in some snow so deep I was pushing snow with the front of the cat. Ran into some other cats at the end of the day. It took a lot of work to get out today. My check engine light had come on last trip and it had so many codes. Mostly the computer was upset because the engine isn't in a truck anymore. The big issue was that I had a bad coil and was experiencing a miss fire. Also my manifold needed tightening.
IMG_20180113_151227_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180113_114039_hdr.jpg
Sorry it's sideways but this was the super deep snow that we got into.
IMG_20180113_105416_hdr.jpg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome pictures and great snow! Crazy weather on the east coast. Crazy cold for two weeks and then two days at 60° W/ rain wiped out 12”+ of snow. High temp today was 61° at 1am and by noon down to 25.

forum8fox

Here are a couple more from yesterday. Had a great time as usual. Can't wait till we can get back on top of ptarmigan and back up into boss basin again! Would also love to give lime creek a shot one day. That face above the road looked primo (when we scoped it on our first outing on Vail pass with the road side pillows) even if you do have to hike it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1515991718034.jpg
    FB_IMG_1515991718034.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 420
  • FB_IMG_1515991791325.jpg
    FB_IMG_1515991791325.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 420
  • FB_IMG_1515991802217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1515991802217.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 414

undy

Nice guys! Way jealous here. I just woke up to about 4" of powder, making for a whopping 8" total for the season!

I know this is a snowcat forum, but my vote is for more skiing photos. :brows:

nikos

Nice guys! Way jealous here. I just woke up to about 4" of powder, making for a whopping 8" total for the season!

I know this is a snowcat forum, but my vote is for more skiing photos. :brows:
:horns::horns:

What about a new THREAD with Skiing Activity?

Nikos

forum8fox

We will have some pics of skiing on this thread eventually. I haven't brought my camera stuff lately as I just want us to get a bunch of laps without the hassle of bringing all that stuff (mostly due to space even though we haven't been at full capacity). Often seems like a bit of a nucance, especially if I need to have 2 packs on my lap or worse when I need to get out without the cat. Canadian doubles (one each side of a snowmobile) with 2 packs (one full of heavy camera gear), a pair of snowshoes, poles and a snowboard in a pinch when we had to leave the cat over night last year was no fun, thought better than walking or slogging out.