• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lightbars, Strobes, Rotating lights . . . who has one?

Do you have a Lightbar, Strobe or other warning beacon on your snowcat?

• Total voters

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the housing were thinner, then they could hang UNDER the rail and the stud could be used to hold the existing rubber mounted worklights too. The rubber mounted worklights do not have an integral mounting stud, they come on a tilting base that is then bolted in place. IF the strobe body was thin enough (which it is not) then the strobe's stud could serve double duty to hold both lights in place.

I am thinking that I could cut a small piece of metal that would bolt were the current flood light is mounted. That piece of metal would project out from the gutter rail about 1.5" and it would have a hole in it. That hole might then be used to mount BOTH the current flood light on top, and hang the strobe under, using the strobe's stud. That would have the strobes mounted high up, which would be a good thing.

Before I do that, I want to keep looking for a surface mount unit.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just spent $48 (with shipping) and bought an inexpensive pair of 2" by 4" self contained strobe lights. These have 24 LED diodes so they are not the brightest strobing LEDs out there, but as they are going to be suppliments to my main strobe I think they will offer the little bit of extra warning light that I am looking to get. They are available on Ebay.

Also, because they are very small, and because they are surface mount style, I believe I can install them in the small space ABOVE the rear windows, but BELOW the rear roof gutter. I'm hoping to install them directly under the rear facing auxilary lamps.

Attachments

• tcsmledpair.jpg
    tcsmledpair.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 120
  • smledred.gif
    smledred.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 120

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Perhaps one of the 'NEATEST' strobe arraingements I've seen was developed in Sweden. It's a piece of conduit mounted just back of the wing window, that is pivoted at the roof line. It sticks up a good 2 to 3 feet above the roof and can be tipped down for hauling or if one hits an overhead opstruction such as a low hanging snow covered tree limb. The Dark Green Tall cab NATO machine and some of the ski area machines of Sweden have them visable in the pictures. A Federal Signal Model LP3P-012-048A strobe comes with a 1/2 inch threaded mounting point that fits 1/2 pipe. The Above number is for the AMBER, but it's available in all colors. You can get 1/2 Aluminum Conduit from an electrical supplier. Drill a 1/4 hole thru the pipe and tap it into the steel angle where the roof meets the cab.

I have an amber beacon on the Tucker and never use it. Too disco for me...ESPECIALLY at night. If you can't see the orange paint and Hella lights coming, I don't think a beacon is going to help out much.