• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new to me thiokol

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
dds,

You could either put a fuel tank on the 2100 so it weights more, or a trailer that puts some of it's wieght on the back of the cat. Either way you could then go to more freight, as the cat would weigh enough to handle the load.

Regards, Kirk

The spec sheet for the 3700 I had said the draw bar capacity was #12,000. I'm sure I exceeded that on a number of occasions. I usually haul at least one cabin kit a year off road and am always limited by lack of space not by weight.

I also have hauled 100s of yards of gravel with the 3700 and had built a 2.5 yard dump bed on the back. I have seen many of the 3700s with a 12' wide flatbed on the back so that is another thought for freighting too.

I would think the limiting factor will be the capacity of your drive train components such as the drive axels. I twisted one in half on my spryte and the parts guy at LMC, which was still in business back then, said he had never heard of one twisting in half before. I also went through several of the stock steel wheels. On the 3700 I had 2 axels break on me and one front wheel assembly but that rig was run hard and put away wet long before I got it.

Attachments

• SAM_0085.jpg
    SAM_0085.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 198

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my plans are for a flat bed on the rear. extra weight on the tracks, equate to more traction to pull with. you hit the nail on the head with the broken axle that is why I was asking how much I could get away with before I start breaking stuff. I have moved up to about 8k with the snow trac it took about 8 guys on the fenders to get the traction than the discovery channel added their twist with a snowmachine which just made a big trench I had to avoid. that's pretty impressive for a 2000 pound machine and 70 horses ,it was also a short pull. too many of those and i'm going to break something if I could move 15 to 20 k on the flat I would be happy.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the Thiokol is now on the docks in Seattle waiting for the shipment to leave on the 7th The u-ship carrier did a good job got it moved from Monterey to Seattle for under $1500.00

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my 2100 has made it into Alaska waters right now sitting in seward waiting on weather they are getting hammered now another 5 to 7 days to bethel and another 4 to 5 into Nome

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my contact with the shipping company said it should be here by the 6th a bit sooner than I expected.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
That looks like a pretty sweet rig, hope the ride is better than the Snowtrac! Should do you well out West!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I hope the ride is as good as the snow trac, the snow trac rides darned good for what is is. try to sped a couple of hours in a bombi out here. I expect this machine will work out well for the freighting I do. my only worry is how well the heart works it's pretty tough to beat my vw heaters in the snow trac.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Fogtender if you are still putting around in the gulf or bering sea my cat should be riding on the Brittney ocean mariner and western 7 to bethel. from bethel it will be transferred to the Brittney moe with the fishhawk for the tug.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
. my only worry is how well the heart works it's pretty tough to beat my vw heaters in the snow trac.

dds from the experiance I had in a diesel 2100 (yea that one) heat isn't going to be a big problem. At 0, you don't need a heater as enough of it will find it's way to the cab. At -50, you may have to turn on the heaters. It will however take a bit longer for heat to arrive than your snow trac.. Diesels build heat slow as you know....

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
http://alaska-logistics.com/voyages.html here is a link watch voyage 13-07 it is the red tab currently in Kodiak. i'm guessing they are weathering out a nasty storm sustained winds from 50 to 60 mph moving across the area they still have a long way to go at 15 knots to make it to bethel where the load gets split up for the trip to nome and kotzabue.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
things won't be moving for a while weather is calling for 27 foot seas over the next 48 hours

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
things won't be moving for a while weather is calling for 27 foot seas over the next 48 hours

Sounds like a great time to be in a harbour some where out of that....:ermm:

Good luck, and I hope it gets there soon!

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
just like a kid waiting for Christmas it just can't come too soon my bill did however beat the freight.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
man i'm getting pissed at mother nature seas are still 20 plus feet and nothing is moving. getting cold out and daylight hours are getting short now.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the boat is under way again, making a hard run for false pass. if they can beat the storm the winds will be at the stern and smooth sailing from there on out

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my 2100 has made it around the chain and is in the southern bering sea where the deadliest catch is filmed on its way to the Kuskokwim river. there will likely be a transfer at bethel and it will come north to Nome figure by Wednesday or Thursday of next week

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the thing is sitting on the docks in Bethel right now waiting for weather they are planning a push on sat or Sunday looking at the forecast I was thinking they should be making the push right now seas at 4 feet today with the seas building to 12 by tomorrow and staying that way through next week. the captain is thinking he will have a narrow window to slip through on Monday as the winds change direction apparently there is also some kind of rudder damage they are trying to deal with. i'm guessing that is why they aren't moving today likely they are trying to fix it. if the weather will cooperate they are only about 12 hours away now. if these weather patterns stay the same we will be in for a snowy winter.

Cletis

You must have much better forecasters up there to accurately predict a few days forward! The forecasters we have couldn't predict the weather that happened yesterday accurately!!!

Cletis

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
trust me ours can't either why do you think my baby has spent almost a month on the water.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
they don't want to unload it. if it runs good and a blade. moving cargo. I bet you don't see much rust on the blade and track.
just kidding