• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new to me thiokol

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I just purchased a new Thiokol 2100 today sight unseen. I wanted to get the one mike had and was ready to send off money when he sent me an e-mail of one for sale on the west coast. the savings were too much turn down so I transferred money today here are some pics of it comes with a turbo diesel and blade.

Attachments

• 3G63t73sf5Ee5q75H6d667d45ed413f631e93.jpg
    3G63t73sf5Ee5q75H6d667d45ed413f631e93.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 550
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 552
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 549

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you need I can save you some more freight by grabbing that turbo off of there for you. No point in shipping uneccesary weight like that.....

:cool:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you need I can save you some more freight by grabbing that turbo off of there for you. No point in shipping uneccesary weight like that.....

:cool:

Mike you wouldn't do that would you? :whistling:

Don,:biggrin: Very nice looking rig. I think you made a good choice on one clean looking 2100. I hope it serves you well for many years.....Once you get it up there!! Hope you have a plan for that.

Regards, Kirk

AdkSnowcat

Mr. DDS it sure looks like you found a really nice machine!!! I'm looking forward to seeing lots more photos! Good luck with it!

Cletis

Good looking machine. Is there a man cabin addition for the back of it in the future???

Cletis

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the idea I had for a removable man cabin was gut a double wide sleeper, and throw in some bench seats. windows and heater.

Dr. Zaugg

I believe that I have a rebuilt turbo for that engine just in case you are interested. I also have a couple of NEW door glass assemblies that I think are for it.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
mike would need the manifold too to add the turbo to his model. my question is that thiokol shows the turbo to be for high altitude only, am I going to have head gasket problems running it at sea level?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I saw that on CL. It was a super deal but too big and heavy for my uses. Hope it serves you well.
I need it for hauling heavy freight and trail grooming it will work well for me. as I don't have a need to trailer it much and no trailering at all required in the winter.

Cletis

mike would need the manifold too to add the turbo to his model. my question is that thiokol shows the turbo to be for high altitude only, am I going to have head gasket problems running it at sea level?

Can't tell by the pic. Does it have a waste gate?

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cletis, I doubt it would have a waste gate....I believe the pump settings for fuel are the same for natural asperated or this altitude compensating turbo...

Caterpillar did the same on some old D4's back in the day. They left the fuel settings the same as the none turboed versions.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
waste gates are used to improve on turbo performance across your operating band, my early cummins has a non waste gated turbo and pumps out about 30 psi of boost. i'm, taking a stab in the dark and I betting this one only makes about 10 psi as kirk says it's an altitude compensating turbo. where the what if comes in is that from what i've been reading is the engine is a 19 to 1 compression ratio which is quite high, kind of like the old 6.2 gm diesels which didn't last as long when you put turbos on them. you will notice engines like the cummins and power joke all have lower compression ratios to allow for higher boost on the turbo.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My 06 Ford 6.0 liter is 19 to one and see's 28 pounds of boost. It isn't any wonder they had some head gasket issues though. That compression ratio, and boost level almost makes it hard to believe it can hold itself together. Must have a stout lower end.

At sea level I thinks Don's engine will be just fine. Just leave the pump settings alone. Some one some where probably figured this all out years ago.

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not be a buzz kill. there is a statement in the product literature *safety one* that says turbo only above 4500 elevation of something to that effect.

Like Kirks comment, I think that statement is directed to when the machine is operating at the critical end of WOT. Just cruising dragging a bit of freight utilizing a fraction of what that machine is capable of I agree it will be fine.

maybe a pyrometer is in order.? I used a 2100 to drag snowmobile trails last winter and it just sniffs fuel. My fuel burn was less than 1.45 gal per hour. High gear 10' (9'6") arrowhead drag flat ground.

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
yes Mike I don't think the turbo model needs a pyro, but your n/a model would need one . the turbo models would need less cooling capacity at high altitudes. the cooling system that may be adequate on paper isn't going to work at altitude as water boils at lower temps as pressure drops. I forgot what the formula was but it was substantial this may be the meaning of turbo only at high altitudes my concern would be the longevity of head gaskets and stud stretch running at sea level where the air is denser. im guessing that isn't a problem as ford put a lot of those motors into tractors with turbo's and and didn't list then for high altitude only.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it is kind of that shade of orange. I was thinking of getting a bath tub to practice my krusty crushing technique when I get it here.and with all that pulling power I could pull a whole train of krustys with it.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
did a little searching on the power plant I may have found it.

I think it is turkish built ford. Search otosan. 6.2L of Krusty Krusher..

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well I got barge pricing today about $5500 that was the good buddy rate. waiting on overland shipping rates now \some how the shipping wars folks got a hold of me this morning looking like it's going to get featured on the show. i've been booking work for it this winter and dropped a little birdy to them if they were interested in filming some trips that I would be open to it.so you never know we may be featured on their show.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm guessing it's going to be a uship deal as it was the producer of the show that contacted me.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
In 2 days the Thiokol will start it's move north step one will be California to seattle for about 1400 bucks not bad step 2 starts in seattle that is where the dollar meter starts ticking. a question for those that may know what kind of weight will this 2100 be able to pull on a sled .

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In 2 days the Thiokol will start it's move north step one will be California to seattle for about 1400 bucks not bad step 2 starts in seattle that is where the dollar meter starts ticking. a question for those that may know what kind of weight will this 2100 be able to pull on a sled .

It and anything you hook that has enough power can reliabley tow about one and a half of the tow vehicals weight. JMHO...

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter

A lot!! Depends on the sled . I think a short semi trailer with tracks on rear would be cool!!lol In a tub sled with just enough snow or packed trail I bet 10k plus. The drag behind my 3700 weighs 5k fill it with snow a lot more and that is cutting and leveling. That cat does not even know it is back there, even when there is a snow mountain in the drag. You are at sea level with almost the same hp. and no hydro drag robbing hp. It drug a dead 1200 12 miles out with no problems did not even break a sweat. And it was not even close to level.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
It and anything you hook that has enough power can reliabley tow about one and a half of the tow vehicals weight. JMHO...

Regards, Kirk
I think this is prob close to accurate yes. 21k behind my 3700 Ya. As long as it is not a semi on wheels in 4 ft of snow. LOL On a tub trailer I think that would be doable.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my thoughts were to build a toboggan out of a 20 foot shipping flat. line the bottom with hdpe and set it up with ram steer to be able to move containers during the winter. but I have to watch the weight of the containers cause it's pretty easy to pack them well over 30 k.