• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NEW SNOWCAT COMING TO AMERICA

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are going to Australia to bring Manufacturing of this snow cat to America
or some version of it. it uses a very simple but effective Differential and has been in use in Australia for over 20 years with no significant repairs. offered in several cabin configurations with greater speed than most cats have 30+
MPH on trails it will be offered in both gas and Diesel and with some modifications can be Amphibious.

Attachments

• pic006.jpg
    pic006.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,377
  • Rear Door Snowcat.jpg
    Rear Door Snowcat.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,387
  • Snowcat downhill (2).jpg
    Snowcat downhill (2).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,380
  • img010a Final Drive.jpg
    img010a Final Drive.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,361
  • pic005.jpg
    pic005.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,354
  • pic008.jpg
    pic008.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,355

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is EXACTLY what many people need/want. A SIMPLE (hopefully that also translates into affordable) basic snowcat for personal/backcountry use and for light/medium duty commercial use. Just based on the photos that looks like such a unit.

What engines will be available? Any idea on the configurations that will be available?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is EXACTLY what many people need/want. A SIMPLE (hopefully that also translates into affordable) basic snow cat for personal/backcountry use and for light/medium duty commercial use. Just based on the photos that looks like such a unit.

What engines will be available? Any idea on the configurations that will be available?

Bob, one will be a 4 cylinder turbo Diesel, Most likely Perkins or John Deere,
The other Will be a Fuel injected V-6 both will be automatics most likely
Allison.

Costs are still being calculated. alot of the differential parts are castings and we do not have those hard costs yet. several track styles are available with side hill cleats the one that are black looking are composite for high speed and light weight. Aluminum and steel will be available. the composites are running over 40 MPH+

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations, Brad !

This looks like a great all purpose machine. I love the clear panel across the front. Composite tracks sound great; are they expensive compared to steel ?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
hey send one here to western ak i will give it the samsonite gorilla test if it will stand up in these conditions it will survive any where

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations, Brad !

This looks like a great all purpose machine. I love the clear panel across the front. Composite tracks sound great; are they expensive compared to steel ?

Thanks pixie, well we do not know yet on the composite cost, in Australia and the states will differ.

we would like to keep the cost of the whole machine as low as possible keeping it simple should help.

Have three Forums members that have offered to test it now. and one who said if I put a Cummins in it. he would think about a pre order.
Cummins are good :wink:

snowbird

They look like a great machine. :clap: I'd also be willing to test it for you (probably not too likely, huh?) :biggrin: When they're 37 years old like my SV200, maybe I could afford to buy one, though.:shifty:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How much Boggie? Ball park would be good...

I would love to put the cost out there, but until I have all the hard costs I just can't. I will say this, all of the current machines out there although they are all hydrostatic are over 100K most over 150K we will be under those by a long ways. Thats what I'm after a machine that is simple,reliable,does not look like a Krusty, looks more like a 600 series Thiokol, faster than 16MPH
can haul some people or supplies or both. and possibly amphibious on some.
to cater to crossing the frozen lakes in the winter. with protection from sinking when you break through. and easy to get going again if you do go in the water. hydrostatics can cost 40-60K when they fall in. we will be close to
2011 before the first one here in the States would be done. should have all the costs nailed in the next few months.......

berg

Are they front drive or rear drive...?
I'm seeing both...How does the Front drive work if the motor/trans is up front?

Attachments

• pic005.jpg
    pic005.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,213
  • pic008.jpg
    pic008.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,187

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they front drive or rear drive...?
I'm seeing both...How does the Front drive work if the motor/trans is up front?

Berg, they are both, just like they do on the Bombardier's there would be a transfer case to reverse the drive to the front.

we will be posting more photos innthe next few weeks........

Regards

Cletis

Neat looking machine.

So the diff appears to be individual hyd clutch and brk. How are the clutches/brakes activated?

How does the machine obtain gear reduction?

How much do these units weigh?

Thank you

Cletis

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Kinda looks like that one they used in "Lost in Space"....

Does it come with a robot, or a wimpy doctor...

Looks like quite the critter though, hope it does well!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Neat looking machine.

So the diff appears to be individual hyd clutch and brk. How are the clutches/brakes activated?

How does the machine obtain gear reduction?

How much do these units weigh?

Thank you

Cletis

primary reduction is through spiral bevel( ring and pinion) then after activation of the steering there is a final drive to the axle tubes.

weights vary with models 3400-4400 pounds

steering can be accomplished by several methods. standard stick steering used in many cats, steering wheel steering, joystick steering

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Kinda looks like that one they used in "Lost in Space"....

Does it come with a robot, or a wimpy doctor...

Looks like quite the critter though, hope it does well!

Never saw that one, I was thinking it should come with a tentative nurse. :smile:

I'm surprised this category of snowcat is not pursued by the other manufacturers. I'm a big fan of the hydrostatic transmission but it is not always the best choice especially when you get into a more utility/transportation market. Also if the price is as low as you are hinting at then it can't be any worse than a new diesel 1 ton truck with Mattracks and obviously this cat will outperform the Mattracks with ease.

What are the grousers made of if you know? They look like the might be rubber? The pick up version sure would look good in my driveway.

Ok I reread your description and see the cleats are composite.:bonk: An all rubber track or at least rubber cleats would be desirable too. Also some asymmetrical wide deep snow tracks would attract more buyers IMO.

Cletis

Quote: Also if the price is as low as you are hinting at then it can't be any worse than a new diesel 1 ton truck with Mattracks and obviously this cat will outperform the Mattracks with ease.

New Diesel pu=50K
Mattracks to fit= 30K

Thats 80K and way over my head!!

Cletis

Mine too but what other choices do you have for under $100,000? in a new set up? My truck is a 93 Ford 1 ton with 250,000+ miles and I buy old worn out Pisten Bullys for under $15,000. My affordable choice would be a Spryte if I wanted a Utility/Recreational snowcat.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I'm Back and the flight from/to Australia sucks......... 4 hrs to LA then 16 hrs to Sydney. found some interesting rigs down under..... driving on the wrong side of the road was interesting to say the least. almost hit a few Roos.......close call with a venomous snake. found a rig in the rain forest
fun trip even with all that a great place to visit. here are a few pictures the old Nodwell was a FN10 found in the rainforest. the pisture of the differential is a 25 year old machine and they still have not replaced the steering clutches

Attachments

• DSCF0454.jpg
    DSCF0454.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 684
  • DSCF0458.jpg
    DSCF0458.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 683
  • DSCF0462.jpg
    DSCF0462.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 695
  • DSCF0461.jpg
    DSCF0461.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCF0481.jpg
    DSCF0481.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 686
  • DSCF0492.jpg
    DSCF0492.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 687

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
You had to show us the Kristi........... Bobcat is probably already on the plane
btw...Welcome back !

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome back from down under B. I've been there a few times and found it amazing...make some mean pallets down there....not sure if you went to the bay in Sidney...but one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I love the clear window at the feet of the Axtrack.

I think we have an awful lot to thank that Kristi for... I think it's clear that the initial 'need' for another machine was from that Krisi...and hence all the work on alternate vehicles was exclusively due to the 'experiences' they had with the Kristi... if you know what I mean. ;) Can't blame 'em can we?

Now if their first exposure were a 601... who knows... all events after may have changed... the Axtrack may never have come into existence. ;)

d'oh!