• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Size of pen........new 7 year old Lab

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Chocolate lab coming home to the house. What size pen do I need for this dog? I can make about whatever size, but realize this dog will be walked. Also, do these dogs dig like my beagles used to do?

The dog was found and no one has claimed him. The folks that have him are in a trailer park with no way to keep him properly, so we are coming to his rescue.

Thanks

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used a 10'x10', 6' high. Never had a problem. Mine was mounted on concrete so digging wasn't a problem.

Moved back to the sticks so penning isn't necessary now, besides the wife has him so spoiled he has run of the house. Gotta love the country!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Some labs dig, some don't. I would say minimum coup size would be 8 x 12 with somewhere for him (?) to go inside, either a house or windbreak of some sort with shade. Will he live in the house when you are there, just in the coup during the day? If so, a bark collar may be in order. After a day or two of use you don't even have to turn it on, just it's presents works.

A long walk (1-2 hours?) on a short leash goes a long way with a lab to assert your authority. Don't let him walk you, keep him close and in control. A couple of these and you won't even need the leash any more. :thumb:

Labs are so smart! ( I wish my wife wasn't alergic :( )

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
The neighbor down here used to have a lab. His name was Digger. Hope that answers your question. He was ok when they were around, but when they were not, nothing would hold him in. In the yard, it was under the fence, in the house it was through a screen or whatever, they gave him away because they could not keep him in. More than likely a cement floor will be required.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Labs are people dogs. They don't like to be left alone for long periods of time. They want to be with you and close to you. They are part of the family and if you let him, he will be in bed with you before long. Great dogs, smart, and loving. Just don't expect too much out of him as a watch dog. His bark is actually saying .... come on in.. I'm friendly. Did I mention that they love cats..... taste just like beef to them.... :yum: :yum: :yum:

working woman

Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
Chocolate lab coming home to the house. What size pen do I need for this dog? I can make about whatever size, but realize this dog will be walked. Also, do these dogs dig like my beagles used to do?

The dog was found and no one has claimed him. The folks that have him are in a trailer park with no way to keep him properly, so we are coming to his rescue.

Thanks

Walk? how about play and play and play? and did I mention loves to play? One thing about labs, they stay puppies for a long time. Think it took my dog 3yrs to calm down. Good luck and enjoy your new addition! oh :weneedpic

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
5 Acres is the minimum pen size. They also need access to lots of water. A small pond or river is recommended. ;)

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are gunna pen a dog make sure it doesnt bark all day.
Someone 2 doors down left thier dogs out while they were at work all day a couple summers ago. You have no idea how much it sucks to have 2 dogs barking 7am to 10pm day in day out. Didnt make them too popular, they moved in the end, and cant say I miss the dogs. The new people are hardly ever seen in their garden, dont know they live there.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know what size pen, but I agree with the others about them becoming "barkers" when if a pen. At my last house, my neighbor was kind enough to put a 8' X 10' pen right next to my property line (closest to my house as possible) for his lab. Being an animal lover, I was surprised at myself how fast that constant barking got on my nerves. So, being the animal lover I am, I did the right thing; I set that lab free several times a week. :D

P.S. I'm glad I moved from there!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose I would say that a pen is not appropriate for that type of dog. But if it must be kept in a pen, then I would suggest 8' by 24' or something along those lines. Dogs don't like to poop where they eat. A small pen puts the defication area too close to both their food area and their sleeping area.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I have two dogs, both medium size, and one is part lab if that makes a difference :eek: . The picture below shows the pen I built for them. The yard is approx. 30x40 and the building is 10x12. They are free to go out back anytime they choose.

Attachments

• P1010091 (Medium).JPG
    P1010091 (Medium).JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 174

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
working woman said:
Walk? how about play and play and play? and did I mention loves to play? One thing about labs, they stay puppies for a long time. Think it took my dog 3yrs to calm down. Good luck and enjoy your new addition! oh :weneedpic

Well the old boy came home tonite...........I would swear this thing and Holly have met before.........as in I have been had! Anyway, right now he is in the little barn, got some straw in there for him and his food and water. He will get hugged in the am, then off to work. Walking him in the evening is going to be HER thing, but I may go along for the walk.

Photos as soon as I can get him to hold still. For 7 he is stout and full of energy. This guy is strong. About 50 to 60 pounds..........I can lift him easily, and he is very lovable. Neutered already, clean coat, clean teeth, no bad breath.........someone took good care of him. He was found in a trailer park, and they tried to find the owner for a couple of weeks with fliers etc. I still love the cats first and most, but got to admit, I like him.

Oh yeah, Name suggestions please. I like Herbie..........for my dad who was Herbert, dont know if it will fly though

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Buckle

I see the dog house, but I am guessing the red one on the right is for you when you are IN the doghouse.............

Nice pen. I am considering the area behind my barn, it is bigger, but dont know how much bigger I want. I can do a 12x12 with no problem behind the little barn, and he would be hidden from would be SOB's that would do harm etc. I would have to shade some of it. He seems to be good about being in a house, they kept him in while they tried to find the owner. For this guy I am thinking chain link, welded frame, etc.

working woman

Site Supporter
[
. He was found in a trailer park, and they tried to find the owner for a couple of weeks with fliers etc.

I'm sure someone did this but just in case, did someone take him to the vet to see if he was micro-chiped?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
working woman said:
[
. He was found in a trailer park, and they tried to find the owner for a couple of weeks with fliers etc.

I'm sure someone did this but just in case, did someone take him to the vet to see if he was micro-chiped?

For those that don't know what this is, there is a micro chip implanted in the shoulder area of the dog by a veterinarian. The AKC maintains a data base of the chip number and cross references it with the owners name and address. All veterinarians will scan for the chip at no charge. The chip manufacturer gives the scanners to the veterinarians free of charge and in exchange, the veterinarians agree to do this service for free. It cost about $35 to have a chip installed in your pet. They do both dogs and cats. It is a sure way of knowing that you will get your dog back, because no laboratories will accept a dog with a chip without calling the owner and verifying the dogs status. Many private animal shelters sell dogs to labs for medical training. The program is under the direction of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.. Junk

JimR

Charter Member
Nice job saving the old boy. My Lab is 11 and acts like she's 2. I can say that she will not take a poop anywhere near the house. That includes in the middle of winter and even during a storm. She heads for the backwoods and leaves it out there at least 75-100 feet behind the the house. They are great dogs and welcome strangers with a freindly bark. Never depend on them for safety. Depend on them when your feeling sick or down, need a foot warmer or someone to cuddle with on the couch when the wife is not available. They will stick by you through thick and thin. They do not like being left alone even for short periods of time. Mine cries like a little kid when I come home after a short run to the city or wherever. They love to go for walks and rides in the car/pickup. They love hiking. Most labs stick to the house area and are not roamers. You can train them very easily. If they know you are watching they will stay within sight if trained right. Good luck with yours.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok, photo attached of the dog. Hershey is the name. I get to build the pen. I found at Home Depot these fence panels, 6 ft high, and I can build any size really I need. Portable but I would bend some concrete reinforcing rods to stabilize it in the ground

What do you all think. Overall cost would be around 300.00 or so.

Attachments

• PICT0335.JPG
    PICT0335.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 145

dzalphakilo

Banned
ddrane2115 said:
Ok, photo attached of the dog. Hershey is the name.

Great looking dog.

Our yellow lab is going on seven, and starting slow down a bit compared to our other dogs. Most everything that can be said on labs already has here.

One thing to keep in mind, if you choose you don't want to keep him, you can always check with your local lab rescue group. Individual "rescue groups" can be particular at times, but looking at your new dog, not sure if he won't end up working his way into your hearts and home.

One other thing to think about is looking at taking a training class with him. If he has any "bad" habits you need to start eliminating them and there are some "tricks to the trade" so to speak.

Sometimes I find it amazing that people will give up thier pets (or dump them) becuase those pets have a "bad" behavior and they can't "beat" it out of the animal. And you wonder why some kids end up like they do. Ok, rant mode off:eek:

You'll find that Hershey will make a great leg warmer:D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
Ok, photo attached of the dog. Hershey is the name. I get to build the pen. I found at Home Depot these fence panels, 6 ft high, and I can build any size really I need. Portable but I would bend some concrete reinforcing rods to stabilize it in the ground

What do you all think. Overall cost would be around 300.00 or so.

Danny,
Nice looking Lab you have there. :) :thumb:

Could Hershey see out through the fence panels? If it's a solid type panel, I can't think Hershey would like it. I"ve seen pens made of chain link which would work better, I'd guess the price would be comprible, but I have not priced them recently. I would not consider either of these types of pens to be very portable.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
found them finally on the web.

http://contractorservices.homedepot.com/StoreProducts/BrowseCategory.aspx?cid=854292

these are the panels I am talking about. would probably have to weld, can we say need welder, some uprights pointing into the area to keep him in. Would also have to put some wire on the ground to keep him from digging. I am thinking 12x18 and the dog house would be a small section of the small barn. the fencing would be attached to the barn and using concrete rods bent to form hooks, driven in the ground about 2 feet to hold the thing down.

caeryon

I keep replying to older threads, but I haven't been here much lately, so they're new to me. Sorry!

Great-looking dog, and the name is perfect! Bless you for taking in an older dog; so many of them go unloved. We got a yellow lab or lab mix puppy (we're hoping to train her as an assistance dog for my husband, and unfortunately an older dog just doesn't work out well for that; as it is, we can't really begin A-dog training with Mickey until she's older than most pups due to labs' l-o-n-g puppyhood) at the pound a little over a month ago, and I definitely can vouch for the digging bit. Mickey's trying to make her way to China, I think! Since we have a desert yard (grass? what's grass?) she really can't do too much damage to the landscaping. Labs are high-energy dogs -- the Mick's wearing us old folks out! -- and possibly the most people-oriented breed around. They're needy that way, but I think that's one of their charms. If you haven't discovered it for yourself yet, be warned that labs shed. A lot! Everything we own is covered with blond hair. Clothes come out of the washer still decorated with Mickey hair. When we got her, I found a couple of good lab sites, if you're interested. Try the AcmePet Labrador Retriever Bulletin Board or Labbyworld. And a really helpful general dog forum is Chazhound Dog Forum.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Not bringing up old threads, especially my own. Wanted to share this deal I got at Lowes.

Fence, dog kennels, prefabbed panels, whatever you call them. They sell a 10x10x6 foot high for 234.00. OK, fair enough, but I needed 1 extra panel to make a 10x20 since I am using the back of my barn as one side of the pen. Cant sell just one panel. They will however sell me a damaged one at half off.

In comes TSC add, same dog pen, 203.68. I bring the add in the Lowes, mention the price difference, they beat the price, gave me the second pen at half off the comped price..........and only 2 panels on the bent one are bent, and one no so much bent. A 2x4 and a bottle jack will straighten them both out fine.

Now I have a second gate panel to put INSIDE the barn, I dont have to build the inside door to his house. There will be a swinging door to his pen similar to the ones you can buy, but it will not cost the 89.00 they want for them.

I also will have 2 panels to put screen wire on to cover my pond this fall.....................

Now I have some grading to do to level out the pen floor and a couple or 3 ton of gravel to get in there.

He will wind up with a 10x20 pen, a 4x10 house with electric, lights, and heat if need be.

Thanks for all your help on this, photos of the days work will be here soon.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Got to thinking of something. I have some 4" corrugate with slits pipe. Should I put some in this before I put in the gravel etc so that water will not stand in it so much? I have attached a paint drawing of what I have to do. The grade now goes under the barn which is not touching the ground anywhere. I am thinking this might help in getting rid of water and urine also. It would drain out behind my big barn and down the other side of the big barn. this is a side view obviously.

Attachments

• dog pen layout.jpg
    dog pen layout.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 148

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Put the drains in before you put the gravel down. Also put some lime under the gravel before you put that down. It will help to neutralize the urine. Remember, that the dog needs to have a place to get out of the sun, but also to be outside, so a roof over part of it will be nice. If you can put a pipe across one end, you can hang a stainless steel pail from a rope for drinking water, or better yet, give him a water line with a Lixit fountain. Don't forget that now is the time to get the heart worm test and use Frontline Plus to keep the fleas and ticks away. Once fleas get started, they are very hard to get rid of... :weneedpic

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, Junk the pipe would be about a foot under gravel at least. Sort of like I did the drain around the pole barn. Did not think of the lime, thanks will do that. We are going to use pea gravel, and also under that I will have fence around the base under the gravel to stop any digging. We dont have a way of getting a water line to him, so will have to use the pail. He will have a "deck" with a shade area over it that is up off the ground, but not so that he could clear the fence.

thanks again

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
We are going to use pea gravel
Danny,

I don't know much about a base for dogs but do they have the same issues walking on it as people do? It's like walking in dry sand. Every time you take a step, some gets kicked up and makes a divot.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
what would you all suggest. Normally I would use regular driveway gravel, but this was suggested instead. I want something so that at least he is not all the time walking in mud etc. Eventually will concrete pad the thing.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I use pea gravel (sometimes called river rock). It works really good and is pretty cheap. I like it because it doesn't have sand in it so their paws stay clean. It's fine enough that they don't seem to mind lying in it. You can hose it down and it drains well.

The only down side is that it sticks to the poo but other than concrete what wouldn't stick to the poo?

The divots are always there but you don't notice them after a while.

PB

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Pea stone is fine. As for the stones sticking to the poo, get a poop scoop and pick them up when they dry. The stones fall off. Put it into a plastic garbage bin and empty once a month. Dig a shallow hole and bury it. Dogs aer clean animals. They will pick one corner and use that if you keep it clean for them. They are also creatures of habit. They unload in the morning and right after eating, so clean up isn't a problem if you stay up on it. I would post a picture of the pail full that I have cleaned up after my two dogs this past winter, but I am certain that I would get a lot of hate mail.... :yum: :yum: :yum: