• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IS TUCKER STILL KING?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
tuckersnocat.jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Specially built up Tucker Sno-Cat Hauler. Usually purchased by Power and Phone Companies. 4 Wheel Drive International Truck, hauling a Tucker 443.
Tucker Truck.jpg
These "Blue" Pontoons were partially Fiberglass and only came on last years of production of the Steel Track Tuckers.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In many respects Tucker and Bombardier are tied for 1st place. Where Kossbhorer/Pistonbully only produces a Groomer, Tucker and Bombardiere produce a wide range of machines for other applications. Many members of the FF use there machines to access cabins. Both Tucker and Bombardier produce a class specifically for this that are classed as "ACCESS MACHINES" which are also widely used by Phone and Power Companies, as well as the National Park and Forest Services. (The "Access Machine" class is generally defined as Machines UNDER 8 foot wide, and Thiokol also recognized this. A Snow Trac would be an Access machine, A Snow Master is a Groomer). Also Both companies have been continuously in businesss since the 20's, and are still in business. Because of the Millitary applications of the Haglund, it is possible and even quite likely that Haglund has Out Produced Tucker and Bombardier in sheer numbers. It may take a bit of researching, but it wouild be interesting to see what the total production numbers for these 3 competitors is. From purely a practicallity standpoint I still favor the Tucker for it's manuverability and maintenance.

mattfidaho

Well for me it is... this last cat we purchased, we went down to Logan Ut, and looked at piston bully, and some of the older LMC like the 1500, and we kept going back to the tucker...

but we also need to access high mountain tops in all weather. so the 2000 xl was a good fit.

mattfidaho

In many respects Tucker and Bombardier are tied for 1st place. Where Kossbhorer/Pistonbully only produces a Groomer, Tucker and Bombardiere produce a wide range of machines for other applications. Many members of the FF use there machines to access cabins. Both Tucker and Bombardier produce a class specifically for this that are classed as "ACCESS MACHINES" which are also widely used by Phone and Power Companies, as well as the National Park and Forest Services. (The "Access Machine" class is generally defined as Machines UNDER 8 foot wide, and Thiokol also recognized this. A Snow Trac would be an Access machine, A Snow Master is a Groomer). Also Both companies have been continuously in businesss since the 20's, and are still in business. Because of the Millitary applications of the Haglund, it is possible and even quite likely that Haglund has Out Produced Tucker and Bombardier in sheer numbers. It may take a bit of researching, but it wouild be interesting to see what the total production numbers for these 3 competitors is. From purely a practicallity standpoint I still favor the Tucker for it's manuverability and maintenance.

very very well put.
one of the things with a tucker is 98 -99 % is user serviceable, and the part list you can pick up all most any of the parts needed to fix it from auto zone or the local car part store. and the mechanic really doesn't need any more training then working on a 4X4 truck.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
TUCKER IS STILL KING!
I believe Tucker is King Because.... Sounds like the intoduction to that first presentation you gave in Grade School? Well let see, we call Snow Trac's, Kristi's Thiokol/LMC's, Bombardier's, Piston Bully's, Prinoth( don't see much of them on the FF), Nodwell's, and probably some other names that I've missed, "SNOW-CAT'S" I rest my case.

chevro

very very well put.
one of the things with a tucker is 98 -99 % is user serviceable, and the part list you can pick up all most any of the parts needed to fix it from auto zone or the local car part store. and the mechanic really doesn't need any more training then working on a 4X4 truck.

yes and this is because tucker uses parts from 4x4 trucks
thay use a cumens desel, allasin trany, and ford rear end.
wich you can get parts for varry easaly.

if tucker was any moor king we would have to invent a new titele

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that Bombardier off-loaded it's Snow Cat division to Comoplast, TUCKER is the ONLY snow cat manufacturer still owned by it's original family! Thiokol/DMC/LMC...bankrupt, Kristi.... GONE, Snow Trac....History, Volvo/Haglund.... sold -out, but Tucker Sno-Cat is still #1!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I dont believe any diesel engine is easy to work on by your typical mechanic. I dont like diesel engines in access snowcats since it adds a ton of weight! I am not a fan of the Tucker XL 2000 because they are tippy compared to your older style LMC1500 or the DMC 1202c. The LMC1500 is still one of the best snowcats out there you can get. Easy to work on lots of power and handles deep snow easily. They will side hill better than any Tucker and are more manuverable. The Camoplaste or Bombardiers as they were know are excellent machine but are heavy, Hydrostatic drive which (just ask BigAl) are impossible to work on or even diagnose without $100,000 in flow meters ect. They are more manuverable than a gear driven unit but when one hydrostatic unit gives up the ghost as one did on me at 9,000+ feet up and on the side of a mountain and your unit turns to the down hill side without any warning what so ever you quickly learn to appreciate the good old OC12 gear driven rear diff. Thank GOD we were not going very fast and were able to stop before the tip point! No, for me a good gear driven bullet proof and time proven OC-12 rear diff with a low center of gravity snowcat like an LMC 1500 or DMC 1200 is KING of the HILL. Yes the Tuckers are very nice and work great with "Experienced" operators. The Camoplast Trooper is also a great snowcat but you cant work on it............. That means you will be paying big bucks for someone else to. But if you have the money then it too would be a great snowcat. Tucker and Camoplaste make very nice units for sure.