• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Heading to Spain in a few days ... gone for a week +

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well wish us luck.

The family is off to Spain to celebrate Easter for a bit over a week. We depart on Friday. Apparently the international news is that there may be some runs on their banks, unemployment is now at roughly 25%, and there have been some food riots.

Apparently we picked a great time to visit.

Hoping to see Seville, Barcellona, Madrid and a few other stops too. Oh, and I don't speak a word of Spanish :neutral:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Best wishes for a good trip Bob. I bet you have a ball. I was in Barcelona years ago and loved it.
Take some pics you can share with us, please. :thumb:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You don't have to speak it. It does help to have someone along who understands what is being said. They will gladly take the "Amerikans" money! Enjoy yourself and don't get kidnapped!

Leni

You can go just about anyplace speaking only English. It is the Latin of today. Enjoy yourselves.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just play dumb and every couple of minutes ask if this is the way to see the Pope. They will think you are somebody important.:whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Have a great trip. Don't worry about the language, where you're going just about everybody speaks English but a few words of Spanish will get you through and be greatly appreciated by the locals. I used to know my way around Madrid pretty well. It's a wonderful city. The other places you're going, I've never been to. Maybe someday. Don't rush around too much. Sit, watch, take in the ambiance and enjoy the flavor of the country.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Finishing my coffee, getting ready to pack the car for the trip to the airport. Looking forward to the abuse by the TSA. I'm hoping to get the old guy with the jiggly hands to do my frisking. :ermm:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Finishing my coffee, getting ready to pack the car for the trip to the airport. Looking forward to the abuse by the TSA. I'm hoping to get the old guy with the jiggly hands to do my frisking. :ermm:

Good luck. Don't worry too much about the TSA. Last time I flew they weren't too objectionable, certainly not as obnoxious as they used to be. Maybe all the bad press is having an effect on them.

Take lots of pictures. :)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi from Barcelona Spain, at the airport awaiting a connecting flight to Seville. Flight here was horrible, can't recall the last time I flew United but it will be a very long time before I do it again. Screaming kid, cramped seats, etc.

But it's 65 degrees and sunny here and the meats are awesome!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Happy Easter from Seville. Weather today was in the mid-60's, rained a bit this morning, and then again about 6:30 this evening. But was pleasant all day.

Attended mass at the Cathedral where Christopher Columbus is entombed. It turns out that this is the 3rd largest Christian Cathedral in the world. St Peter's Basilica (Catholic) in Rome is the largest, then St Paul's Cathedral in London is #2. As St Paul's is an Anglican (Episcopal) Cathedral that means the Cathedral in Seville is the 2nd largest Catholic Cathedral in the world.

As with some other churches, this Cathedral used to be an Islamic Mosque but was converted. This part of Spain changed hands from Muslim to Christian and also had a strong Jewish population, all of which were prominent here is Seville. Of course, the Spanish Inquisition changed much of that :whistling:

Oh, and back to the meat, every little Tapas bar has some amazing legs of ham that are cured whole to a dark red, firm, strong flavor that is awesome!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, and back to the meat, every little Tapas bar has some amazing legs of ham that are cured whole to a dark red, firm, strong flavor that is awesome!!!

Oh, that is one of the things I remember about Spain ... tapas. I could spend almost a whole evening or afternoon, just nibbling and sipping. Sometimes we Anglos get in too much of a hurry to do things and get things done. Change down a gear, kick back, eat, drink and watch the people go by, wonderful.

I hope you're having fun.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell of a day today. Walking tour for an hour and a half in downtown Madrid, followed by a quick lunch at a cafe, followed by a couple hours at a museum which featured a walking tour, then an hour on the bus to Toledo for another walking tour . . . WFT? We needed to either spend a day in that art museum (the Prado [SP?]) or we needed to simply skip it because we rushed past everything ... let's just spend 30 seconds admiring that Goya, and 20 in front of a Miro? Seriously? Toledo was a bit slower paced but still not slow enough as we were ushered from spot to spot, all the while it rained, on and off.

But tonight we had the relaxing 2 hour dinner, sat with the teacher and her husband that we travelled to France with a couple years ago, as well as one other teacher and the single parent of one of the students. Food was good, a couple bottles of wine later the dessert showed up, the kids had left the dining room long ago and we adults just sat and chatted. I really like the teacher and her husband, just nice folks and we got along with them great on the prior trip we took. The other two adults on this trip are also nice so it was a great dinner after a long hectic day.

Tomorrow we return to a slower pace. Off to Sergovia for the day, leaving after breakfast, its about 45 minutes away. We have the better part of the day to spend roaming the city, a short guided tour to start then off on our own. We return to Madrid late afternoon and again have time to explore on our own. The toughest part of the day will be making decisions on what to see and what to bypass. Marcia and I tend to linger in with the locals, or spend excess time at castles, cathedrals or ruins.

The highlight of the day today occurred in Toledo when we ducked into a small jewelry shop to avoid some rain and then discovered they actually made the jewelry right there in the shop. We bought Melen a charm for her bracelet that was made in the shop by the gold/silversmiths and got to see how they made the jewelry while we watched. We picked a design that mimics a design in the Toledo cathedral ceiling. I also bought a couple locally made pocket knives, and Marcia picked out some pearl earrings that will be a gift for Melen for Christmas. But no gift for Marcia.

Time for bed, the wounds of the day have been soothed by the wine from dinner. The kids have an early bed-check tonight, but I don't think they will mind too much. They too were run ragged by the hectic pace of the day.

On the bright side, I've learned how to order coffee in the cafes and now am a pro at getting it exactly as I like it. But they keep giving me sugar on the side??? Seriously, coffee with sugar. YUK!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a good time overall Bob. I wouldn't care for the rushed portion either, give me the slower crowd and let me meander about as I wish.
Thanks for the update.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi from Sergovia

Walt Disney visited this castle, and, along with one in Bavaria, drew his inspiration to create Cinderella's castle.

It's cold here today and the castle is not heated. We took a leisurely walk up to the castle, stopped for cappuccino and hot cocoa on the way. Our plan (adults) is to head down to the town and explore tourist shops. So far a very nice day, we've had plenty of time to see and explore the nooks and crannies of the castle.

Wow, had a late lunch. 1/2 a roasted piglet. Including the ear, tail, and parts in between. 5 of us sat at the table and all had the same thing. It's the house specialty and this place is supposed to have the finest in town. Not sure how this was cooked. The meat was buttery soft and cut with a fork, but the skin was crisp and had the texture of spun caramel. Amazing. There were no leftovers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 152

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting the Cuizine of that area... I would like to try succulent pig. Not many places state side serve it. Looks and sounds wonderful.

So what did you drink, and what kind of Cigar fallowed??:wink:

Regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hell of a day today. Walking tour for an hour and a half in downtown Madrid, followed by a quick lunch at a cafe, followed by a couple hours at a museum which featured a walking tour, then an hour on the bus to Toledo for another walking tour . . . WFT? We needed to either spend a day in that art museum (the Prado [SP?]) or we needed to simply skip it because we rushed past everything ... let's just spend 30 seconds admiring that Goya, and 20 in front of a Miro? Seriously? Toledo was a bit slower paced but still not slow enough as we were ushered from spot to spot, all the while it rained, on and off.

But tonight we had the relaxing 2 hour dinner, sat with the teacher and her husband that we travelled to France with a couple years ago, as well as one other teacher and the single parent of one of the students. Food was good, a couple bottles of wine later the dessert showed up, the kids had left the dining room long ago and we adults just sat and chatted. I really like the teacher and her husband, just nice folks and we got along with them great on the prior trip we took. The other two adults on this trip are also nice so it was a great dinner after a long hectic day.

Tomorrow we return to a slower pace. Off to Sergovia for the day, leaving after breakfast, its about 45 minutes away. We have the better part of the day to spend roaming the city, a short guided tour to start then off on our own. We return to Madrid late afternoon and again have time to explore on our own. The toughest part of the day will be making decisions on what to see and what to bypass. Marcia and I tend to linger in with the locals, or spend excess time at castles, cathedrals or ruins.

The highlight of the day today occurred in Toledo when we ducked into a small jewelry shop to avoid some rain and then discovered they actually made the jewelry right there in the shop. We bought Melen a charm for her bracelet that was made in the shop by the gold/silversmiths and got to see how they made the jewelry while we watched. We picked a design that mimics a design in the Toledo cathedral ceiling. I also bought a couple locally made pocket knives, and Marcia picked out some pearl earrings that will be a gift for Melen for Christmas. But no gift for Marcia.

Time for bed, the wounds of the day have been soothed by the wine from dinner. The kids have an early bed-check tonight, but I don't think they will mind too much. They too were run ragged by the hectic pace of the day.

On the bright side, I've learned how to order coffee in the cafes and now am a pro at getting it exactly as I like it. But they keep giving me sugar on the side??? Seriously, coffee with sugar. YUK!
I am jealous Bob ,
Sounds like you are having a great trip . I really enloy hearing about Spain !

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, had a late lunch. 1/2 a roasted piglet. Including the ear, tail, and parts in between. 5 of us sat at the table and all had the same thing. It's the house specialty and this place is supposed to have the finest in town. Not sure how this was cooked. The meat was buttery soft and cut with a fork, but the skin was crisp and had the texture of spun caramel. Amazing. There were no leftovers.

Cut it out. I didn't even eat lunch!!! And you included pictures no less. Shame on you!!!

I'm glad you're having fun. Is Melen enjoying it?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cut it out. I didn't even eat lunch!!! And you included pictures no less. Shame on you!!!

I'm glad you're having fun. Is Melen enjoying it?

Today was a roast of Rabbits & Snails :wow:

Washed it down with some semi-sweet white wine. Appetizers included Octopus with Paprika, Fried Squid, and some roasted Cod.

After lunch we took a couple mile walk, visited the marina in Barcelona, strolled (through the rain) across the area where the big yachts are moored, then walked up the main shopping street. Weather is lousy here, about 50 degrees and drizzling, makes for an uncomfortable walk, but good walking shoes and an umbrella helped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 154

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Late this afternoon we stopped at a Tapas bar. Had some hot chocolate. Its apparently a Spanish favorite? They often serve it very thick (think melted Hershey bar) but todays was just thick and drinkable. I have become an expert on ordering an Americano coffee, which is a cup of expresso with a little extra water.

A seafood payea (sp?) was great. I'm not a big fan of rice dishes, been served payea in the US many times and have never enjoyed it. I loved this one. The rice was astounding, flavorful, moist, and in a wonderful sauce. The seafood was amazingly fresh (Barcelona is a port city).

We also walked through the fresh market. I've seen these markets on TV but have never experienced such a place. WONDERFUL. Its a large farmers market, about and acre or more under roof but open air, with independent booths featuring butchers, fish mongers, confectioners, fruit vendors, and anything else food related you can think of. All VERY VERY FRESH (some of the fish was still moving). Beef, rabbit, lamb, pig all butchered on site. Mushrooms of every variety.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
stick with the fish as there is big links with spain italy ect passing on the horse meat as beef,dont come naying to me if it goes wrong:yum::yum::yum:

Have fun and thanks for the posts.:thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Galvi, I've ordered horse meat and eaten it, on purpose.

The rabbit and snails was obviously not horse meat. I suppose it could have been squirrel, weasel or rat. But it was not horse.

Here is the seafood we ate yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 132

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
This thread is bringing back some memories of my wife and I sitting outside, eating paella and drinking wine, watching the people go by. I'm loving it.

Bob, did they give you any warnings about street crime? Last time we were in Madrid they were extremely conscientious about warning, ladies especially, about keeping handbags and cameras on their person and under their control at all times because tourists were especially vulnerable.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We got lots of warnings about pick-pockets, staying away from the gypsy beggars, and generally not wandering off alone.

Seared Foi Gras over carmalized onion (oops, I ate it before I took the photo), plus some Chiccoronies (small squid, fried whole), plus some Langastinos in garlic oil, sauted wild mushrooms, tomato bread, and a bottle of wine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 130

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gaudi's church (not a cathedral) wow. wow. wow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 128