• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Haiti 2010

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not really sure where to post this . I have told Doc I would try to keep a running diary of my trip to Haiti when I leave and post pictures as I can so other members can see what is happening there. I guess this is to be my first entry .

It appears the group I am going in with is HODR which stands for Hands On Diaster Relief. They seem like a very caring organization . They definately get their hands dirty .

I am being looked at by a couple other groups but this one is the first to respond with Dates . I may switch to a Housing Construction Manager position at a later date if it becomes avalible .

I have just filled out my final HODR request form with a departing date of 6/1/2010 and I hope that is acceptable .I have informed them that I will stay as long as needed .My departure date could be changed as they will have the final decision .

The relief team will start by building a base of operations to work from Leogane which I understand has about 90% of the buildings destroyed .. Right now we have been told to bring a tent to sleep in as there is no where else to stay during reconstruction . Deconstruction teams will start as soon as a base of operations is set up, it appears . This will take awhile and they have close to 3000 volunteers who have applied to help . The base will handle 100 Volunteers at a time . After a hell of a lot of "Gut Wrenching" and questioning myself I have decided to go in after the base is set up and deconstruction is well established :unsure:. My expertise is in Reconstruction / Engineering and that is where I feel they can use me the most now.

I still wonder if I am doing what is best for the people of Haiti :unsure:. I want to go now ,but without meaning to sound conceited ,my talents I think are better used in the reconstructing phase .

So I plan to stay very busy until then . I have decided to leave for Panama on 3/1 ,spend some time at the house and to build a locally owned "off the grid" Chicken ranch to supply fresh Chickens for the local population on the island where we live . I will be turning the entire operation over to a local "Bugle" Indian, I have worked with in the past , when I leave in May for Haiti .
. We will process 300 chickens at a time plus have an egg laying production too . This was arranged last year with the locals and appears to be a big hit .He already has pre orders for our full production each month and we have not even opened the doors yet . I just hope we can keep the Boa snakes away from the chickens !!

So , It looks like you all will have to put up with me for about 3 more weeks and then I will be off .
So hopefully the internet system will be up and running where I will be able to sit in Haiti , after the work day is over and post some pictures of progress .

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Al on getting a date set. Your decision sure makes sense to me. Let them get the deconstruction well underway and go there when you can put your talents to work. Plus that gives you time to get your chicken ranch off to a good start. I hope you'll share more of that operation as you have time. It sounds interesting and like a good thing to do for the folks down there. You are a good guy Al. Doing good all over the place. :thumb: :D :tiphat: :clap:

bill w

god bless you big al......how do i give you ALL my rep points.....you deserve all you get......Bill w

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Spent part of the day looking at tents to buy and take down with me . I am worried about space . I'll probably end up with one of the small domed units with a waterproof floor . It will need plenty of vents as it will be quite warm in June . I been looking at the new air mattresses that they now have on the market . Found a nice one that I think I will pick up to use . This is to be my home for some time and I want to be as comfortable as possible . I guess I am now taking two bags in when I go . I was hoping to keep everything in one back pack ,but it does not look like that is possible . Found a combination cover / sleeping bag that is lite weight so I think this will be the way to go . Mosquitos will be a major problem at night so I am getting another netting that will cover the whole bed .

Input is good if you have opinions .

It will be rainy and hot , so heavy weight sleeping bag will not be any good . Rain will be a constant problem so I am going with a 4 season tent .
Also I was informed to get a personal first aid kit. I have one but now think i may upgrade to a more detailed kit .

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 146
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 151
  • mattess.jpg
    mattess.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 151

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep !:w00t2: Its official . I received my marching orders today by Email. They are leaving it basically up to me as to when I will go . I will stay with my 6/1/2010 time frame for going into Haiti . The camp has moved and they now appear to have internet connection . If I can plan this right , as I return from Panama to the states at Miami I will grab another flight back to Haiti while my wife heads on the Calif until it is safe to join me . I hope that I can be given a special project setting up Fresh Water Collection Systems in some of the out areas of Haiti . They are still pretty much untouched with help so far.

Not sure if I will still need a tent as they said something about a 40 bed dorm area for sleeping .
I'll post more as I know . :smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck buddy. They will be changing things as they go. Very fluid operation, kind of like a war zone. Once they have some supply and material flow working you will be able to use your talents to help. Patience and it will come together.:clap:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea I am pretty excited !!! :w00t2: I been telling the wife for years I am more than a pretty face and a cute ass . I guess I finally get to prove it . !!!!!!:w00t2::w00t2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a picture of my new home in Haiti when I arrive ! 30 days on shift and then a manatory 3 days off for mental health reasons .

Attachments

• new home.jpg
    new home.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 123

bill w

do us all a favor and pitch your tent in the open area....there is still lots of aftershocks that could bring down the balcony area.....just sayin....Bill w

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
do us all a favor and pitch your tent in the open area....there is still lots of aftershocks that could bring down the balcony area.....just sayin....Bill w

Yea that is what my wife already told me . See that orange tent in the center of the open area . I plan to be his new closest nieghbor .

Lots of young college girls in this group . I hope they don't try to hit on me . I am the Sean Connery type and very good looking ,but that is a self assessment .:yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Friggin American Airlines !!!! Now I got to fly all the way back to California from Panama to then turn around and fly to Haiti , other wise it will cost a extra $1500 bucks in penaltys !

What a crock of crap !!! :sad::doh:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I been reading everything I can find on Haiti and I noted that there is concern now that the government may collapse or be overthrown soon . Not enough response by the Haitian Government to the Earthquake victims seems to be main reason of discontent .
I am to leave on 6/1/2010 for Haiti and sure hope its not into a country that is in the middle of a coup . I guess time will tell . Haiti is just now getting into the rainy season and I only see it getting worst with each passing storm .
I am also pretty damn disgusted with the indirection and lack of leadership in organization of the rebuilding efforts . Seems like you have a 100 different charities and none seem to be working for a common cause to get anything done .

I just laughed at one charity group that wanted me to come to Jamaica for a 4 day "get together" before heading in to Haiti .WTF!!! This ain't a friggin vacation . People are dying and we have some so called "Relief helppers" folks sipping drinks on a friggin beach in Jamaica telling each other how much they "plan" to help ??? Talk is cheap !!! Give me a friggin break !!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Saw today where the government is finally designating some land for shelter areas. Hope you don't get caught in the middle of a political struggle. Those folks need help not words and pledges.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Hey Al, your heart and soul are in the right place in wanting to help those in Haiti, but you also have the gift of helping those in Panama by the sounds of your posts.

You may be better served just doing the Panama thing and bring positive results that you know you can do directly. It seems to be where your heart is at and may be the best served for what you are doing.

Haiti is going to have a high crime rate from looting and the Government officials are still there and Honesty isn't or hasn't been in the guidelines for some time from them.

If you were a young buck and such, I would think Haiti could be a bit more acceptable, but old age does creep in on us now and then.

Anyway, I read you Panama stories as you posted them and find them filled with a love of what you are/were doing there, and it may be the calling you would want to follow. I envy you chances there to help out others by improving their lives.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Foggy , I'm committed to going . The relief base actually appears to be in a locked (hi fenced and gated) compound with a watchman 24/7 . I'll be sharing space with about 100 other relief helppers . Most of them are really young ! 20 - 25 years old . I plan to try and use my rusty brain and trick them into using there young muscles to get stuff done :wink::biggrin:. I have made friends with one old guy (70) who is also going in . We seem to be the two old farts .

I been following the Haiti Relief discussion on Face Book and now have all these young hotties hitting on me to be there new friend . I am a dead ringer for Sean Connery or Harrison Ford ( My Opinion) . If you squint real hard you will see the resemblance .I know it will break their heart That I am happily married , or at least wife tells me i am :unsure:.

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I decided I better check out all my new gear that i purchased ,before i got to Haiti and found out something was missing .

The message on the new "Whip Ass" 3 season tent i bought said it could be set up in about 3 seconds and they were right . What they did not say is it takes 3 hours to stuff it all back in the little carry bag . The rain fly takes another 2 hours !!:doh:

The Coleman double air mattress works well and seems comfy . Glad I got the battery powered air pump or I would die of a heart attack trying to blow it up .

I got 19" of airfilled air mattress between me and the floor . If that sucker pops a hole in it I am going to look like a Saturn 3 rocket shooting across the Haitian sky .:doh:

The combination mattress cover /sleeping bag is the cats meow . It super lite weight and I think it will do the job .

The damn cats thought it was their new play house so I had to shoo them away before they clawed holes in the air mattress . Life is good . I'm set !!:smile:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I decided I better check out all my new gear that i purchased ,before i got to Haiti and found out something was missing .

The message on the new "Whip Ass" 3 season tent i bought said it could be set up in about 3 seconds and they were right . What they did not say is it takes 3 hours to stuff it all back in the little carry bag . The rain fly takes another 2 hours !!:doh:

The Coleman double air mattress works well and seems comfy . Glad I got the battery powered air pump or I would die of a heart attack trying to blow it up .

I got 19" of airfilled air mattress between me and the floor . If that sucker pops a hole in it I am going to look like a Saturn 3 rocket shooting across the Haitian sky .:doh:

The combination mattress cover /sleeping bag is the cats meow . It super lite weight and I think it will do the job .

The damn cats thought it was their new play house so I had to shoo them away before they clawed holes in the air mattress . Life is good . I'm set !!:smile:

Well best of luck while you are there since you are going. But you might want to take a water filter in case the water supply is somewhat tainted, you could have some really "Runny" issues if the water isn't boiled or treated properly....

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well best of luck while you are there since you are going. But you might want to take a water filter in case the water supply is somewhat tainted, you could have some really "Runny" issues if the water isn't boiled or treated properly....

I picked one up quite a while ago
It's made by Sawyer and will purify 3000 Gallons of water before it needs cleaning .I thought it was a great deal at $60 . I also purchased a water bladder fanny pack and installed this filter inline so no matter what ,I have clean water at all times . This thing removes everything !
sp125-wp-main.jpg
Sawyer

Water Purifier SP125

Inline Water Purifier w/faucet adapter

The first and thus far only portable filtration device to physically removes viruses. Which it does at a >5.5 log (99.9997%) rate exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations. Removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like salmonella, cholera, and E. coli. And 6 log (99.9999%) of all Protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium. You will find these removal rates to equal or exceed competitive options.

100% Product Details
spacer.gif
Water Purifier Specifications Weight: Inline Water Purifier: 6.0 oz; Filter life 3000 gallons Eliminates
Bacteria Which Cause: Cholera, Botulism (Clostridum botulinum),

Typhoid (Salmonella typhi), Amoebic Dysentery, E. Coli,
Coliform Bacteria, Streptococcus, Salmonella
Protozoan (Cyst): Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora
Viruses: Hepatitis A (HAV), Poliovirus, Norwalk, Rotavirus, Adenovirus,
Hepatitis E (HEV), Coxsackievirus, Echovirus, Reovirus, Astrovirus, Coronavirus (SARS)​

Includes:
1 × Sawyer Inline Water Purifier​

2 × Stainless steel hose clamps
1 × Tube connector​

I contacted Ameobic Dissentary(Sp) once and I don't ever want that again !

Last edited:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I picked one up quite a while ago
It's made by Sawyer and will purify 3000 Gallons of water before it needs cleaning .I thought it was a great deal at $60 . I also purchased a water bladder fanny pack and installed this filter inline so no matter what ,I have clean water at all times . This thing removes everything !

Cool, your way ahead of me!!!