• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Getting the old place ready for lots of company !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its been 2 1/2 years since I have been to my island home in Panama . Between working on projects in Idaho and being sick ,the time has slipped away .
I finally got off my dead ass and starting losing wieght again and I am starting to feel human again .
The plane ride from Back East proved to myself that I could fly the 12 hours it will take to get to Panama.
So I committed myself and invited a bunch of friends to Panama in Sept . They all said yes , so there is no backing out now .

It takes constant work to keep the jungle from taking back the house and landscaped grounds on the property . Having 12 acres and 2 full time caretakers , means you only maintain the property as it is, but seldom can start new projects .

This trip I have a Little Island Church to build on the property for the local Indians . It will sit on the waterfront and be open to allow for sea breezes .I think it will be fun to build !

Juan , my Major Domo Caretaker will be hiring additional men to help prepare the place for lots of company in the coming months . Keeping the sightseeing jungle trails open to the top of the property is a battle with nature . Boy do plants grow fast in the jungle . Raking the beach in front is an everyday job . It is amazing how much trash can wash up on the beach .

I have bitched on Forums for years about the decline of "Quality Living" here in the United States . I'm 60 years old and its time to put my "money where my mouth is ". I already know I love Panama and its people . Our Panama place is a Island resort home but now I intend to take it to our full time residence too. I am not getting any younger .
Full time Maids/cooks can be hired for $400 a month so I plan to add one to the house hold to take care of the details of daily living . I think the wife will like that . We know of one lady that does Thai cooking that is incredible tasting .Hopefully she will come work for us full time .

With Health care cost going out of sight and no end in sight in the U.S. it will be nice to have affordble health insurance at a faction of U.S cost . Last time I checked it was $50 month for a family of 4 in Panama .
A friend had "By-pass Heart Surgery performed in Panama and told me the care was #1 . Another had a knee replacement and the cost was $10,000 total including PT . That included a place for him and his wife to stay while they did the PT in David !!!

So I have sent off the email to hire the guys and get the old place in tip top shape for our arrival in August . This trip is for 1 1/2 months and then a 2 month break for hunting season here in the state of Idaho . WE plan to return to Panama in January/2014 to escape the cold winter in Idaho .
I gave the wife permission to sell the place here in the states if she can get what I want for it . I have a feeling she just might !:smile:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That sounds like a much better plan than moving to the East Coast!

Hold onto your place in Idaho for another 5 years. I figure my kids will be old enough by then that I can ditch my family and hire you as a hunting guide for at least one Elk season! ;) I've always wanted to do the whole Idaho Elk thing.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a plan Al. :thumb: I agree with PB in that it is a much better plan than moving to NH. Winter is just as bad there as it is in Idaho. I do wonder about the heat during the summer months in Panama. Florida heat is to much for me in the summer. I would guess Panama would be even hotter.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
gee Al I thought I was a friend I didn't get an invitation I guess because my snow trac doesn't run out of gas. I hope you enjoy it its going to be different with out you ranting

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
gee Al I thought I was a friend I didn't get an invitation I guess because my snow trac doesn't run out of gas. I hope you enjoy it its going to be different with out you ranting

I knew that I wasn't getting an invitation when EVERY SINGLE MEMBER of the ForumsForums sent a "get well" card to Melen (it arrived yesterday) and the ONLY NAME MISSING was BigAl :whistling:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
That sounds interesting Al keep us informed. I will wait until the next election before I decide whether I am ready to pack up the cats and get out of Dodge.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like a plan Al. :thumb: I agree with PB in that it is a much better plan than moving to NH. Winter is just as bad there as it is in Idaho. I do wonder about the heat during the summer months in Panama. Florida heat is to much for me in the summer. I would guess Panama would be even hotter.
It gets damn humid in Panama but the temps stay around 75 to 95 degrees. I love hot humid weather !!!
Big Al, we demand pics!
I have posted in the past ,pictures of the place and since we have internet at the Island house I can still read and post from there too in the future .

Here are a few pics.Some old ones and a few new from last trip down . The lastest ones are of Full size Wall Murals that my wife commisoned a local Indian Artist to do for us . He will be doing more on our next trip . The guy is incredible .Each bedroom has its own theme painted on the walls . If someone decides to try and steal the artwork they are going to have to take the wall it is painted on !!!

Attachments

• Baja Mar June 2004 016.jpg
    Baja Mar June 2004 016.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Bocas sunset.jpg
    Bocas sunset.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Panama Vacation pictures may 2008 028.jpg
    Panama Vacation pictures may 2008 028.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Panama 2005 011.jpg
    Panama 2005 011.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 117
  • living room pics 001.jpg
    living room pics 001.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Panama Pictures.jpg
    Panama Pictures.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Panama Pictures.jpg #2.jpg
    Panama Pictures.jpg #2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Panama Pictures.jpg #5jpg.jpg
    Panama Pictures.jpg #5jpg.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Panama Pictures.jpg #3jpg.jpg
    Panama Pictures.jpg #3jpg.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 113

Kane

It gets damn humid in Panama but the temps stay around 75 to 95 degrees. I love hot humid weather !!!
Ah, that's the life, Big Al. Like they say, heat is misery. But cold is pain. All the best to you.

I've got a 2nd house on Anna Maria Island, FL that is just as peaceful and calming. The only problem is that it's in America.

Dang.