• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

3PH Post Hole Digger

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I stopped at TSC today and looked at their 3PH Post Hole Digger. It is priced right but looked light duty. I'm looking for one that will handle a 12'' auger. Do you think the TSC one would work?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc; A buddy of mine has that PHD. I've borrowed it a few times and worked great with 12" auger in sand upnorth. I also used it in that rotten clay we've got down here, with a 9" bit. It worked alright , but I'm spoiled with all my sand upnorth. I don't think it's bad for the money, and if you're not using it to make a living, it should be fine.:tiphat::beer::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll 2nd what John said.

I don't have one but from what I've seen, they're pretty tough.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc,

I bought a slightly used one Saturday (just like the one in the picture) at an equipment auction with the 12" auger for $350. I drilled 62 holes on Sunday without any problems. Hit a rock or two and never even sheared a pin...and it's not because my tractor wasn't powerful enough - I had it on my 72 h.p. Case. So far i'm very happy with it. And if you only need it for a one time use, let me know...you're welcome to use it!

Gee, it feels good to discuss tractor stuff again...:D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is a TSC PHD, I have 9" and 12" bits and my soil is clay. As long as the end of the bit is kept clean, it works pretty well.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the offer and info Wannafish.
I'll need it more than one use, so I'll buy one ....maybe this week. If the weather cooperates I'm wanting to plant some trees Saturday, and a PHD would sure make that task much easier. I think it was Bob who said he used one for just that purpose last fall. Anyway, that is the reason for the bigger auger.
I agree, it is nice do some tractor talk again. :)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Mine is a TSC PHD, I have 9" and 12" bits and my soil is clay. As long as the end of the bit is kept clean, it works pretty well.

Bob, what make is the PHD you bought at TSC? The one I'm looking at is red, not a KK.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Although I cussed it at first, the elcheapo Lienbach (sp?) 7400 I have has proven to be pretty darn tough. With just a little bump in the injector pump (shhh!) I am putting out right at 50 PTO hp. I would break both of the grade 2 shear bolts on about every hole. That sucked! I spent a hundred bucks and bought a slip clutch for the PTO drive on my PHD. That worked a little better, but I still broke the grade 2 shear bolts very frequently.

I didn't have the time nor patience for that deal, so I went with grade 5 shear bolts. :eek: Since then I have drilled about 3000 or 4000 holes. I broke 2 sets of the grade 5 bolts and twisted one 12" auger in half. I bought a higher quality auger and have been drilling away. My Lienbach 7400 PHD including a 12" auger was under $400 including tax and all. I'd have to say that I'd do it again. I really don't need the PHD anymore, so it just sits around. Wanna bargain on one? :whistle:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As soon as you sell it, you'll find a need for it. At least it works that way for me.
Thanks for the offer Brent. I'm always looking for a bargin, but shipping would probably eat up any savings ....plus i procrastinated in buying / looking for one and would like to have it by this weekend.
You don't have to travel to eastern ohio anytime soon do ya? ...like tomorrow? :whistle:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just sold my Speeco PHD with 9 inch auger. I used to put up the fencing on my property and plant a bunch of trees. It worked great on my little tractor. I broke one sheer pin and had no other problems with it. They are a pain to hook up.

I decided I can dig a hole faster than I can hook up the PHD and I really didn't have that many more holes to dig.

I sold it for what I paid for it so if I need one again I'll just buy another one.

PB

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Brush Hog PHD that I am very happy with .Never had a problem . Paid $350 with a 9" auger and a stand on ebay . About 30 miles from my place , which made it nice and close .

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"I'll need it more than one use, so I'll buy one ....maybe this week. If "

Don't forget extra shear bolts!