• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT-3 SN 00145

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob Pierce came up with a great theme for his Kristi! I will let him tell you about it but it is cool! This will be one of the nicest KT-3 to ever hit the snow!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob Pierce came up with a great theme for his Kristi! I will let him tell you about it but it is cool! This will be one of the nicest KT-3 to ever hit the snow!

I hope it ends up looking more like "Daisy" on the dukes and not like your General Lee :puke1: theme. Some things are right and some are just not right, no matter how hard you try....:yum:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't like the location and movement of the gear levers on my Kristi. I've been kicking around a few ideas, one of which goes something like this... http://www.hydro-gear.com/Industrial/Transmissions/BD/RStyle.aspx
Don't think this unit would be strong enough to drive the KT-3, comparing specs now. Meanwhile, thought I would throw this out for comment and other suggestions. The Kristi has the stock 'Kristi' tranny in it now which is fine as far as I know, but I'm not above losing it for something better. Thoughts on CVTs?
A cheaper, more labor intensive idea would be re-working the linkage toward a more conventional stick shift.

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Or lets just fix up your Kristi and see what she can do. If the time comes to replace her then so be it. But after all the work I think you can get another 20 years plus of good life out of her.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gee, didn't see that coming.
Wow, I didn't realize you were blind :yum:

In that case, if you really want to improve your Krusti, why don't you hook it up to a pale blue pony and float it down a chocolate river to a place called neverland where it will be the king of fiberglass tubs and the people who inhabit the land will give you a shiny hat and worship the ground you walk on . . . but they won't worship you, just the ground you walked on. :poke:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Finally, something darn near creative! :applause:

Ummm, do you have any pictures of the pale blue pony and the shiny hat? :)

In that case, if you really want to improve your Krusti, why don't you hook it up to a pale blue pony and float it down a chocolate river to a place called neverland where it will be the king of fiberglass tubs and the people who inhabit the land will give you a shiny hat and worship the ground you walk on . . . but they won't worship you, just the ground you walked on. :poke:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

Wow ! That is just mean talk . I have been to NeverLand and it is quite nice . Not one damn Snot Trac in sight . And yes the women do worship us Kristi owners there . The ugly ones are given to Snot Trac owners who will never be allowed here .

But hey, most Snot Trac owners are ugly to so it is a good match . And before you mouth off and say I am fat ,just remember "I can lose wieght but you will be ugly to the day you die":moon: :yum: !

mtmogs

Bob,

You will need a bigger hydraulic transmission than the one you mention. That unit will transmit about 10 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque at full rpm. By comparison the 1600 vw engine should be able to theoretically deliver 50 hp and ~73 lb-ft of torque...so the engine is way overpowered for the transmission. Not that I would do it, but you could look at a couple of their larger displacement P-series pumps in tandem (looks like they call that T-series) coupled with 2 of their appropriately-sized wheel motors. However you are probably looking at several $1000 invested to do it properly and even then you are looking at added weight and reduced efficiency over the mechanical drive train. I hate to join the fray, but considering what you would pay for a hydrostatic drive system, you'd be well on your way to purchasing a functioning snow trac.

I don't like the location and movement of the gear levers on my Kristi. I've been kicking around a few ideas, one of which goes something like this... http://www.hydro-gear.com/Industrial/Transmissions/BD/RStyle.aspx

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
mtmogs, just the kind of feedback I was looking for as I was sure the tranny was too small, but you didn't have to throw in that last line!!! I've taken it hard from the Snow-Trac crowd today, may have to go over to http://www.k***********t.com for a while! :yum:

Anyway, was hoping someone might have something to say about the CVTs in some of those little cars, like the Ford Fiesta or Subaru Justy. They should be tough enough. But in weight, adaptability...I dunno. Short term is still to fix up what's there, just mining for ideas for later.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I've taken it hard from the Snow-Trac crowd today, may have to go over to http://www.k***********t.com for a while! :yum:

Bob, is it time to update their last post of April 13th?:4_11_9: Even taking a harsh beating here from all of the snotrac'ers is better than the total never ending dead silence over there....:poke: This was not a paid political advertisement by :coolshadeeither or yet!!! :yum:

paulhenry

WOW! Just passing thru this thread - hope you boys are really good friends exchanging barbs. I come here to find support for my "track addiction" and would hate to lose the input and knowledge you all bring - regardless of the flavor of your rig(s).

I have never met a tracked vehicle that I didn't want to take for a spin. (and put in the garage for a snowy day)

JMHO

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
WOW! Just passing thru this thread - hope you boys are really good friends exchanging barbs. I come here to find support for my "track addiction" and would hate to lose the input and knowledge you all bring - regardless of the flavor of your rig(s).

I have never met a tracked vehicle that I didn't want to take for a spin. (and put in the garage for a snowy day)

JMHO

Oh we're just kiddin around . Everybody knows a Snot Trac comes in 1st place ..... right behind the Kristi snowcat.

Always has ,always will :moon: :yum:

You have come to the right place for help . We don't care what color underwear you have or wear . You need help and we will be there !

Always have ,always will !!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, is it time to update their last post of April 13th?:4_11_9: Even taking a harsh beating here from all of the snotrac'ers is better than the total never ending dead silence over there....:poke:QUOTE]

Isn't that never ending dead silence the sound one would hear coming from a Kristi?:yum:

Just kidding!:coolshade

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, kinda quiet on my KT-3 thread right now. But there is a good reason. I took a couple of weeks off from work and I'm in northern NH looking for a new home for my Kristi. Here's a few pictures of a 50 acre spread I'm looking at right now. Comes with a large insulated workshop where I can get serious about a restoration. But may have ran into a probate snag on this one. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking. Anyone in NH know of a steal-of-a-deal?

Attachments

• Front 30.jpg
    Front 30.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Back 20.jpg
    Back 20.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 208
  • House and Barn.jpg
    House and Barn.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 219

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, maybe get in touch with member Pixie she is in NH/Maine she could be a good source for whats in that area........she is always a pleasure to chat with
and owns track vehicles to boot..........

Polar

Sure looks beautiful, but it's a long ways from New Mexico! Is that on purpose?! As an ex-NM refugee myself, I'd also check out land deals in Utah and Wyoming. Colorado is getting pricey for big spreads. One website I'd recommend for getting some good nationwide real estate info is www.unitedcountry.com if I've gotten it right here. Remember though, cheap land means low appreciation and weak local economy...it'll be hard to flip later most likely.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Tagged up with her a couple of days ago. She gave me a few tips, especially what to look out for. I think she has her hands full working her property. Got to see Pixies Imp (say, isn't that redundant?). :idea:

Attachments

• Pixies Imp.jpg
    Pixies Imp.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 198
  • Pixies Imp 2.JPG
    Pixies Imp 2.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure looks beautiful, but it's a long ways from New Mexico! Is that on purpose?! As an ex-NM refugee myself, I'd also check out land deals in Utah and Wyoming. Colorado is getting pricey for big spreads. One website I'd recommend for getting some good nationwide real estate info is www.unitedcountry.com if I've gotten it right here. Remember though, cheap land means low appreciation and weak local economy...it'll be hard to flip later most likely.

I'm from the NE area, oh so many moons ago. Lots of family not too far away. Looking for a hideaway, and a place to retire to. So, not interested in the economy, etc. Just means cheaper land for me. NH also has a better political climate, IMO.

I'm using a northern New England only MLS search site. Have plenty of listings to go through, just not enough time!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I have finally started to acquire parts for my restore. Here is the spot light for my KT-3. While I was at it, I got two more for my Jeep and Pickup.
The manufacturers website is http://www.golight.com
I got them from a retailer at http://www.golight.us via eBay.

I think the dual wired/wireless remote is a great idea. The 370deg pan is real. The 135deg tilt has a little quirk in that the beam is partially (~1/3) blocked by the housing in the last ~30deg up/down. I can deal with it. Not shown in the picture is a clear waterproof pouch for the wireless remote. It has a large reinforced hole in a tab so that the pouch can be mounted in your vehicle somewhere. The pouch also has a belt-loop.

Attachments

• Golight 1.JPG
    Golight 1.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I need to get me 2 of those units as well. Nothing like being able to move your work light without having to get up and reposition it then go back work some more and then do the process all over again. NICE!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I need to get me 2 of those units as well. Nothing like being able to move your work light without having to get up and reposition it then go back work some more and then do the process all over again. NICE!

Exactly.

And the 2049 is the model I got. As seen on their web pages, they also have mag and suction mounts, removable/convertible units, and models just for boats.