• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp Restoration

Thanks Don,
I think It actually feels like a really practical power. Its strong and pulls very well. I honestly don't have good snow to test it in but it isn't really even working in the video. The automatic is very smooth which I think will help to preserve the OC4. If not then we will have to rebuild and go again. This summer I hope to paint the cab and do all of the other little nitpicking things.

Anthony

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there looks to be a good snow storm heading for western Alaska. maybe the influence will spread out your way. I recognize the yard I walked by it on the way to the armory early one morning after being picked up by a gal at the arctic bar the night before

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I mistook that for a place in Fairbanks, looking again you seem to be in the Midwest I have never seen a combine in Alaska

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
WOW! That IS impressive. I just took mine up to our cabin at a blistering 4 mph. More power would sure be nice. I'm just too lazy to do it.

Looks like you are going to have a great machine. Keep posting the progress.

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow... all I can say - Wow...

I dont think my 1450 moves that fast even with its 3.3L, but than again - have you had a chance to weigh yours in yet?

I just ran it by other day on the scale - I'm right at 5000lbs dry weight, yes... 5000lbs... seems like previous company that owned it gone way beyond to reinforce the cab, by making it so much heavier...

How's the ride over all... Any vibes on the inside? or track flows smoothly?

Seems to me that the "aired up" front idlers were a lot smoother on the 1402 vs the solid rubber type on the 1450.

Turbinator I think it will be worth it when its all complete, however its been a real project. We are talking about doing another one once we complete mine I have several friends that have asked me if I could convert one for them if they bought one..

Nikson its actually very quiet inside, between the foam and dynamat and carpet. There are no rattles but it should really get quiet once we complete the dog house. While test driving it we can talk back and forth easily without the dog house top on... I guesstimate the weight at around 3500 dry. I will weigh it sometime soon and let you know. I want to move the master cylinder to the front of the foot well by the throttle to get steering shafts out of the way similar to your 1450. How was your first trip out?

Sorry Nik missed your last question. It rides pretty smooth in snow, however I am still considering a torsion axle conversion. The tracks roll very nicely and the solid front idlers seem to be very smooth. I haven't been around one with the rubber front idler so I cant compare. I saw on turbinators post the different springs I would consider that as well depending on his luck.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been considering to convert my 1450 to a torsion type suspension, going to a larger trailer-type wheels all together, running like 4 of them, elimination front small idler completely., similar to what 1500s look like.

As far as masters, see if you can see what I did with my 1402, I simply cut/repositioned the control arms, and that cleared up a lot of space for the feet to go in easier.

IMG_3224.JPG

I guess time will show where we all end up... :)

First run went well, althou I'm not too happy on how the cat vibes/pulsates due to the track movement, something is either loose, or too tight...

Nikson

I have considered doing something like your controls as well. I haven't really decided which is better. It would be nice to have the masters out of the way but your controls appear to be functional as well...

So we were debating today and everything is just too crowded. So I opted to relocate the master cylinders up by the throttle. In doing this you will no longer have to step over steering levers. It will be more like a 1450 now.

monday015_zps972a8150.jpg

Like I said very crowded.
Friday010_zpscd053837.jpg

With the masters move forward it just looks more open, much easier climbing in!
Friday013_zps30bab419.jpg

I will bend the brake levers this weekend yet and finish the doghouse. Hope to have a good progress report for ya soon.
Friday012_zps19a3a0b2.jpg

image_zpsed35b630.jpg

Had to order more carpet for drivers side of dog house and the top so they will get carpet soon.
image_zps0bf84bd5.jpg

Bent the steering sticks, may make them longer for comfort but they work really well right now. Want to put some miles on it then will decide on length.
image_zps88722d5c.jpg

Lots of room to get in and out now. It is much more comfortable too.
image_zps7c7bad7d.jpg

Ceiling panel is ready to be installed.

Left to do:

Will remove cab and have linex spray it orange this summer.

Depending on turbinators luck may put different springs in machine

Change TPS to clear code

Install the remaining interior panels (3)

Carpet two panels on dog house

make defroster plate

Also need to add a coolant reservoir from snowmobile to catch excess coolant

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
is the assembly one piece? or purpose built in place.

I have been wanting to free up some space in and around my feet also.

Thanks Mike,

It is one piece, I pulled the original bracket with the plan to build a new one. It then occurred to me that it would be much easier to cut the front of the original bracket off (at the angle iron that runs across directly in front of master cylinders). I then drilled mounting holes in the angle iron in front of master cylinders. then welded tails onto the the rear of the bracket that measured same length as the front I cut off. It uses all factory mount just have to extend brake lines. Took about two hrs to do all of that. Then just figure out where you want your steering shafts to end up.

Makes getting in and out so much easier. I also think it looks cleaner and will make working on engine much easier.

Two Track Mind

Thanks for the info for moving the masters. For maintaining access to your electrics under the drivers seat you may want to hinge on pins like a 69 toyota fj40. Your seat would tilt or remove easily.Love your build! I agree with Nixon on the 2.4 Turbo diesel with auto to switch out my 1402 wisconson.

Two Track,

Thanks for the kind words, I agree I intend to put the seat on pin and barrel hinges. I can then tip it up and slide it over and out of machine. The master cylinders were very easy to move and the ease of getting in and out was well worth it. As for the diesel I really wanted to put a diesel in myself, I have had to powerstrokes and currently have a cummins in my pickup, I am a diesel fanatic. My only issue with a diesel for this project was that in order to get the power I am getting with the 2.3 I was looking at a lot more weight. Also it gets real cold here in the winter so the times that I may really need the cat I didn't want to have the concerns of gelling or finding an outlet to plug into. In a warmer climate I think that a diesel would certainly been my choice.

jp11

Anyone converted an IMP to diesel?

I make biodiesel, have for years. Run a couple Mercedes sedans on it. I know how to address the cold flow issues, and had on of my old sedans tricked out with fuel heater, filter heater, and even an ESPAR unit. I still have the espar sitting on the shelf. No plugging in, ever!

http://www.espar.com/products/fuel-...uct-selection/coolant-heaters/hydronic-5.html

BUT.. is the weight thing that big an issue. I know diesel rabbits are in demand (the old ones) for their bio burning ability. Maybe a toyota diesel?

I guess I should start a new thread for this.

JP