• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1972 Aktiv ST4 "Snow Trac"

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: 1971 Aktiv Fischer ST4 "Snow Track"

Looks GREAT Bob. Nice Job!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

A bit more progress to report on, but no more photos at this point.

There is a bench seat over the fuel tank, and another bench seat on the opposite side of the cabin. Last night I cut out a plywood base for a new seat pad that will be installed over the top of the metal frame. I also picked up the seat foam and cut that to shape to fit the wooden base piece. When Snow Tracs came from the factory they had cushioned seat pads installed over the steel frame, so I am simply remaking those seats.

Of course the factory upholstry was a black vinyl and mine is a black Hawaiian barkcloth with palm trees and flamingos :whistle: Even the lovely Mrs_B has doubts about me now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

A little more progress to report:

The driver's seat was removed when I went to test fit the gas tank. The upholstry of the drivers seat is actually original and in pretty darn good condition. So I am going to keep the original black vinyl seat for the driver. I did sand, prime, and then sand again the seat back and mounting brackets.

I am undecided on the final finish for the seat back and frame/mounting bracket.

It would be easy enough to paint the seat back grey, as that would be the original color.

It would be easy enough to paint the frame/mounting bracket orange, as that would be the original color.

But from the looks of them they seem to both take a beating from things that have scratched them up over the years so it might be more logical to spray them with the 2 part epoxy that I will be using on the floor?

Or perhaps to spray the seat back with the light grey 2 part epoxy and re-paint the mounting bracket & frame orange. It would look much more original if I did the frame in orange, and seat back in grey and would still offer the protection of the 2-part epoxy to the seat back which is pretty beaten up.

I also finished the bench seat cushion frames, which were made out of plywood. It is up to the lovely Mrs_B to sew up the seat cushions. After the bottom cushions are made up, then I will work on the seat backs. I have the foam for the seat backs but I'm just not quite sure what I want to do with the shape.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

UPDATE : None of this is good news. . .

Saturday morning I got about to mixing the epoxy bedliner spray that I was going to use as the new floor in the Snow Trac.

I had the epoxy cans inside my house, so they were at room temperature.
Each can was clearly labeled.
I had 2 full 'kits' of spray, so I had 2 cans of everything.

I turned the heater on in the garage/shop and warmed it up for about an hour before I took that epoxy out to mix it. I would guess the shop temperature was roughly 60 to 65 degrees.

I went about the process of mixing. I had my two kits separated so I would not mix up anything I shouldn't mix. This stuff has a 20 minute working time and everything must be in place long before you get started. So everything was set, I had my respirator on, my air gun running, face mask, etc. Everything was covered with tarps, taped off, etc.

I mix PART A with PART B and the stuff solidified almost instantly!!! Never did that before. (I've used this exact stuff before so I've got experience with the process, the brand, etc.) It set up so fast that thinner wouldn't thin it, the wooden paint stir stick got stuck in it and broke in half! YIKES.

I doubled checked all the cans. Yes, I did mix the correct stuff.

OK, not to panic, I have another kit just in case.

Clean out the bucket and start over. Everything is going well. I spray and all looks very good. So I leave the garage/shop and go off about my daily business. I come back and find that it is not hardening. HUH?

OK, I figure the temps must have something to do with it? It doesn't make sense, but I figure I'll turn the heater back on. So I run the heater all day. Still is not hard. Ditto Sunday.

Now I am just praying. If this stuff doesn't set up, then I have just sprayed a gallong of sticky goo into the Snow Trac that will have to be scraped out with a putty knife. And that will be a big nasty ugly mess as well as very time consuming. My plan was to put the gas tank back in Sunday. Reinstall the driver's seat. And take it out for a spin!!! We have SNOW.

And yes, I mixed the activator with the base. At least that is what the cans said I mixed. And since they are different sizes and shapes, it is really hard to screw that up. So I am sure I didn't screw it up.

I'm not worried about getting my money back. I'm not worried about getting replacement epoxy. What I am worried about is fixing this. My hope is the activator will eventually work and it will harden off. Worst case is not pretty because scraping all this out will put me weeks behind, just as the season is starting!

BTW, I went with a medium grey color and it sure looks good.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Ouch!!!!

Did/can you call the mfgr to get any insight as to why it's not hardening?

As a backup, you may want to also inquire as to what the removal process is if the stuff doesn't harden. MEK? Acetone?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Oh yea, I am thrilled with the prospect of cleaning up this mess. I've not inquired yet. It seems like the first batch had triple strength activator to get it to set up instantly, the second batch seems to have 1/10th strength activator. I'm pretty much screwed if it doesn't set up!!!

OkeeDon

Try a heat lamp. Try it in an unobtrusive area in case it makes the stuff shrivel or something. If the external heat does make it cure, it likely won't cure it evenly, and there may be color variations, etc. But, if you can get it to harden, at least you could re-coat it a lot easier than cleaning it out. The heat lamp trick works on polyester resin; don't know what it will do to your stuff. I learned about the trick years ago when I had an entire layer of a boat laid up and discovered we had forgotten to mix hardener with the resin...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Don
Will a propane torpedo heater work? Or does it need the UV(?) light of a heat lamp?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
Don
Will a propane torpedo heater work? Or does it need the UV(?) light of a heat lamp?
Don't know about your stuff Bob, but be careful (open flame or not) as some of those things are flammable or may generate noxious fumes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Brian, it stinks, that's for sure. I've been using a propane torpedo heater to keep it warm hoping the offgassing will allow it to cure.

OkeeDon

I guess I'll never know the answer, because I've never seen a torpedo heater in South Florida :eek:

I think the radiant heat is what works; it needs to be intense. If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby they have cheap hand-held radiant heat guns you could use to quickly try a spot. If it works, set up an infra-red heat bulb (like you'd use in a bathroom) in a clamp light that you can move around.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks, I'll try it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Just to let everyone know, there was a problem with the photos I posted early in the thread. They all vanished. I put them back.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Ok we have an update. I'm way behind on putting the Snow Trac together again and sort of screwed because of some nice heavy early season snows!!!

So I've been working in the garage and am just about ready to get back on the snow again!!!

I gave up on the epoxy for now, I tried the IR heat lamp, didn't work. The expoxy is setting up very very slowly. Too slow. So I went to the big box store, bought some marine grade waterproof indoor/outdoor carpet, took the whole interior out of the Snow Trac, laid in the carpet over the epoxy as a temporary solution so I can use it this winter, and things are much better!!!

The fuel tank is now installed, probably for the first time in 20 years. And if you remember, my fittings all came from a cappuccino maching so I'm sure if the Snow Trac doesn't run well with gasoline, I could always grind up some fresh coffee beans and let caffeine do the trick! After the fuel tank install was complete I reinstalled the door frame (it actually holds the fuel tank's fill pipe in place). Bolted down the rear passenger seats and gave up so I could eat some lunch! I want to put the charger on the battery for a while just because it has not been used for a couple months and to make sure I have plenty of go-juice in it. The drivers seat needs to be reinstalled, along with the seat's suspension system, but other than those minor things, I should be ready to roll as soon as there is gas in the tank.

At least that is the hope.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Congrats Bob! Won't be long now. I look forward to some action pics! :)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I don't know what happened but the Snow Trac fired up with the push of the starter button. :wave:

No hesitation, no studder. Pure power. :whistle: Or at least as much power as a 1300cc 4 cylinder engine can muster! So I took the inagural drive around the property on virgin snow! We got about a 1/2" of fresh snow tonight.

All is good again! :coolshade

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

SWEET!!!

Glad to hear.
I would spend a few minutes looking things over to see if you can identify what the issue was. If it happens again, it'll obviously be at a bad time.

I also wouldn't shut it down in the "back 40" until its reliability is proven.

Brian

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Well we have sort of a good news-bad news-good news thing going.

For whatever reason (and I am sure at a total loss to explain it) the Snow Trac, which my daughter & her friends now refer to as HERBIE, seems to start up and run every time I try. So I'm thinking that whatever ghost was in the machine is now gone and that is just fine with me. That is the good news. It starts & runs great again.

Soooo I went to park it after another spin around the front lawn, and I drove up on the lift ramps (I have been parking Herbie on a 4 post car lift) and for some strange reason it takes a sharp left turn off the lift! Yikes. I know I didn't turn the wheel, its like the left track stopped and the right kept going. So now I decide to try to back out and I am not able to effectively steer in such tight quarters so I get it 1/2 on and 1/2 off the lift, sort of on its balance point. Time for a break to figure out what to do.

Off to the other garage to get a tractor and I attach a tow strap to the rear bumper and pull, the tractor tires just spin in the deep snow. Hmmm. Scrape a bit of snow away with the FEL and try again. Works like a charm, Herbie spins a bit and is almost back on the ramps. Reposition the tractor and the tow strap and I pull Herbie right up onto the ramps and continue to pull and pull it right out the garage door into the snow. Not too bad. Total time maybe 15 minutes, total damage, 0.

So I hop back into the Snow Trac and fire it up again, back up and turn around and drive over to the house and park it for the night next to the driveway. Who else can claim to have a small Orange tank like vehicle as yard art? :eek:

My daughter is having a slumber party so we have a house full of screaming 10 year old girls, they will get a ride in Herbie tomorrow morning. After that I am off to meet up with DavyNay, he's coming into town to pick up his new snowblower from my local Kubota/Cub Cadet dealership so we are going to meet for coffee.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Bob said:
Not too bad. Total time maybe 15 minutes, total damage, 0.

Whew, you had me worried there Bob. I thought for sure the damage was about to start ...glad that wasn't the case. Sure sounds like fun (the snowtrack). The slumber parties brings back memories of the one my daughters would have 15 years ago :eek: man time flys!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Re: 1972 Aktiv Fischer ST4 "Snow Track"

Have you checked the brakes yet? Sounds like one of them activated. Could be the variator? Those are usaully bullet proof but If one goes it a hard item to find. I know where one Variator plate is. Let me know if you need it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Mike, glad to have you over here. Looking forward to some upcoming pictures of your machines after the start of the new year!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Variator belt tension

Check the tension of the variator drive belt occasionally.
When correctly tensioned, it should be possible to press in the belt by thumb 20 mm (3/4") as shown in fig.1. The tension is checked first when the belt has been run for a short time after the adjustment.

belt.gif

Fig. 1

The belt is tightened by loosening each nut on the screws A in fig.1, the same amount; the screws are by that turned counter-clockwise. The lower nut is slackened from inside the cab through an opening on the right-hand heater and defroster control. Do not adjust the nuts in fig 2. These are properly adjusted when the variator is installed and their adjustment must not be altered when the belt is tensioned.
belt2.gif

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Snowcat Operations said:
Have you checked the brakes yet? Sounds like one of them activated. Could be the variator? Those are usaully bullet proof but If one goes it a hard item to find. I know where one Variator plate is. Let me know if you need it.

OK here is the real story, my brakes are totally disconnected :pat:

Given the terrain I am on, fixing the brakes are a low priority right now. It will be something that is fixed spring or summer.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

The top picture is the correct method and of course the bottom picture with the X is incorrect. I would check the belt. Also if you need a new belt they run about $147.34 from Gates. I can send you there info if needed. (YOU NEED A SPARE BELT IF RUNNING OUT IN THE BUNDOCKLES! OR IN DEEP POWDER) It the only way to get home if the OLD stocker belt breaks on you.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Heck yes send me the information on the Gates part number, and a place to buy one! I have no clue how old my belt is and it is one constant thing I worry about.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Do you mean the parking break is disconnected? Or the entire break system? The steering wheel turns the varaitor one way or the other. This applies the break to one side or the other depending which way you want to go. Something is wrong if the machine made a hard turn to one side and you didnt turn the wheel. Very dangerous if kids are about. (Human jerky comes to mind) Seen it happen when the Hyrdrastatic drive lost one motor and made the vehicle spin to the right and caught a pedestrian who was watching. (LMC 1500 P.O.S. in my opinion to heavy with the R.O.P.S.) Anyway his legs looked like chunks of beef jerky. (I Thank God I was NOT driving or the pedestrian!) Anyway have a closer look at the system could have been a cable or something that got caught up in the sprocket as well who knows. Let me know If I can help.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

The entire brake system is disconnected for the moment. I don't find it a big problem, there is not a lot of rolling momentum to worry about and I don't have mountains to worry about since I am located in Indiana where a large elevation drop is non existent. The variator belt seem to be working fine, the problem is the brake system, and like I said, not a big deal for the moment. But it sure sounds like you know a heck of a lot more about the mechanics of these things so I'm going to be counting on you in the future.

I've got a friend who owns some Kristi KT3s (I think he has 3 or 4 of them) and he also owns the only KT7 that I am aware of. I've traded a few emails with a guy who has 2 LMC machines, one is a 1200 the other is a 1500. He was looking to pick up a Snow Trac that was for sale on Ebay a while back.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

http://www.gates.com/catalogs/file_display.cfm?file=PT_HeavyDutyBelts_2005.pdf&thisPath=gates\catalogs
Ok here is the info on the belt PDF file. Go to page 49, right hand colum and part #2926V616 Price is $147.42. Now I am told that this is thinner than the origanal but I am sure its of better quality construction. It says the O.C. is 63.3" inches and is 1-13/16" tall. Check you belt and make sure this sounds right. (My Snow Masters will be here after New Years so I will be able to check then). As far as knowing more its just because I have done so much dam research (my wife says I should work for the CIA in the research dept, lol) and I have a friend who is the worlds leading authority on snowcats (all of them). He's been a great help to me as well. If you want to know what you need to carry everytime you go out let me know. Everytime you venture outback in a snowcat you are at the mercy of mother nature. You should always have a stash of well thought out survival gear. If you need help on this stuff I will be glad to post pics of all the gear you should carry. My back ground is a snowcat operator for SBC (now AT&T) and have been going to our microwave sights for about 4 years now. I have taken all the cold weather survival courses and practice using my survival gear once a year (in my back yard) to try out new gear. It gets pretty dang cold here -40 was the coldest I have seen with out windchill and wouldnt want to be stuck in it for a minute. Anyway I'm no EXPERT but do have good working knowledge. These guys are the Experts http://www.safetyoneinc.com/about.html If you need any survival gear pre made contact them.

Last edited: