• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

j5 flathead problem

newj5owner

Hey gang :)
I just cant seem to get my flathead to idle. i have inclueded a little video of what is going on. any tips would be much appreciated :). I am replacing the fan belt tomorrow too it is off the machine right now.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2WJ1SBZiw"]YouTube- flathead engine problem :([/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you need to do some testing and i can walk you through it you need a vaccuum gauge and a can of carb cleaner first thing to do is check vaccuum if vac is low you have a leak if vac flutters you have bad intake valves also helpful would be a good compresion test and checking dwell angle and timing or point gap and timing you may want to start there first before preforming any other test's now assuming comp and timing are good run the engine and squird your carb cleaner around the conectioons to the block and wor back too the carb if your idle smooths out you have found your leak check where any cross shafts run through your intake stream like throttle shafts and governer butterflys i'm not to familiar with the j-5 but if it's like a dodge m-37 it will have a butterfly in the governor.if you need help pm me and i willl give you a phone number and i can try to walk you through it shouldn't be too hard

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Check your float out. Might be the tang needs a tweek and is not filling the bowl full enough.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will it run at full speed?
might be an issue with fuel supply to slow
I'd hook a boat tank to it and let it gravity feed down to carb

tom

aulen2002

guessing it's more than just the air/fuel mixture screw needing adjustment with a weather/temperature change. try cleaning the carb well. I had similar issues... and icing... with an old carb last fall.

I have to adjust the mixture when it gets above 10/15 deg, and again when it gets colder again.

newj5owner

you guys sure know your stuff :) thanks all for the input
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7sVffkDfo"]YouTube- engine retuned[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the cylinder with low compression test it by locking thhat cylinder at tdc with a rachit and socket on the crank shaft and apply about 100 psi of shop air to the cylinder with your compression tester hose remember too remove the schrader valve out of the end first than listen for the air leakage carb for bad valve or broken spring exhaust for other valve or spring and oil filler for worn rings.