• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT7 restoration pictures

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well ,
I just got back from buying the base coat/ clear coat paint and the bed liner material . Any body want to guess on the price of this stuff ???:pat: :pat: :pat: $1076.00!!! I about crapped .
I knew paint had taken a jump ,but holy cow !! Of course the colors I picked match my "King Ranch" Ford and the paint salesman told me they were the most expensive colors to buy !!!! It figures:pat: . I would have changed colors on the spot ,but the savings would not have been more than 1 or 2 hundred dollars overall and I had set my mind on that color scheme at the start .
Oh boy !!! I am going to be in deep kimshee with the wife on this one . Now I have to give her the damn KT7 to save my dumb ass !!!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Well ,
I
Oh boy !!! I am going to be in deep kimshee with the wife on this one . Now I have to give her the damn KT7 to save my dumb ass !!!

Now you really know why I refer to the 1200 LMC as my snow cat and the 1500 LMC as the wifes snow cat. Those repair parts never seem to equal up to the cost of a couple pair of new womens shoes and a trip to the beauty parlor!!!!! Oh well, I always did like a fiesty woman:thumb:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well …. I headed out to the shop to hide out for awhile just to be safe . I had been out there about 2 hours when I realized the wife had gone to the Daughters for a few days . Whew!!! And I thought she I was giving me the cold shoulder treatment .:pat:

I decided as long as I was out there I might as well block sand the lower body and get it ready for final paint . The epoxy sealer / primer did a fine job and I had very little left to correct .I block sanded with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper using water as a cutter agent . A few nicks I missed on the first “fill in” with filler was all I found .

A trick I use is to close my eyes when block sanding and if I can feel or notice any imperfections in the sanded area with my other hand ,I know I am not done and the area is not ready for paint . It has to be smooth , like a baby’s butt !

Anyway the lower tub will get a final bath in the morning and if the weather holds nice I will paint tomorrow . When applying the finish paint you want as close to 70 degrees and no humidity as you can get . Pray for good weather .

Al:tiphat:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Well ….A trick I use is to close my eyes and if I can feel or notice any imperfections in the area with my other hand ,I know I am not done and the area is not ready . It has to be smooth , like a baby’s butt !Al:tiphat:

Are you really sanding or what???:confused: :confused: No wonder you are hiding out. I am usually doing something else with thoughts like those.:D :D I now know how the news media makes those awful quotes that we see now!!!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Are you really sanding or what???:confused: :confused: No wonder you are hiding out. I am usually doing something else with thoughts like those.:D :D I now know how the news media makes those awful quotes that we see now!!!!

Yea .... Sorry about that . Now that I reread my post it does sound kinda bad :pat: . I swear my thoughts were kinda pure .... well almost .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike,
If it does not rain tomorrow there is a good chance I can post some . Right now it is impossible to see any difference from the last set of pictures I posted ,as I did not burn through the Epoxy sealer . The difference is in the now "block sanded finish" which you can only feel by touch .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey mike ,
Here is that updated photo you wanted . I just took a little spill in the middle of painting and am taking a break for a few minutes . ! Guess I should have watched where I was going .
I ended up with one small clear coat run and it really pissed me off . When the run dries in about a hour I will hopefully go sand it out and retouch up the area .
PS: all the unpainted area get bedliner

Attachments

• body 012.jpg
    body 012.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 300

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al just curious, why are you not painting it Kristi orange? Going with the King Ranch color scheme will be very nice, but certainly not very original.

It seems like everyone who restores a Snow Trac paints it either the original orange/red or bright red. Personally I'd like to paint mine either blue or green.

I've seen a blue Snow Trac and really thought it looked awesome. Pictures of it were posted somewhere on the internet, but I know I downloaded one and saved it for future reference. I just figured that guys like Gordon and Mike will give me grief if I paint it blue!

My second choice would be GREEN and I really like the look of military green Snow Tracs. I figure if there is any collector value in a Snow Trac (and I don't think there is) then GREEN is one of the 'acceptable' colors because many of them were actually produced. The other 'acceptable' color would be SNOW CAMO. I like that too, but suspect the lovely Mrs_B would object.

Blue. . . hmmmm.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Al just curious, why are you not painting it Kristi orange? Going with the King Ranch color scheme will be very nice, but certainly not very original.

Well shoot Bob , The whole damn KT7 is going to be pretty much "NONCONFORMING" .Remember ,you wanted me to paint it PINK!

It will also have tinted windows and a tinted moon roof but it did not come that way . Also a "mini bar" and AM/FM/CD/GPS radios that was not in the orginal design . The intercom system that is being installed has never been offered in any snowcats that I am aware of .

So not going back to Orange is not a problem for me . I hate orange ! Reminds me of Caltrans . One guy works ,four guys watch !My Snowcat is not lazy ! It should not be orange . Besides since my snowcat was a prototype how do we really know that the orginal designers did not plan to paint it beige/ copper in the final production run .... hmmmmm.... Food for thought .

Also I need some advice !!! ??? Here is the bid I just recieved for the intercom set up . So what do you guys think ???? Is the price out of line or within limits . Same set up as they use in off shore racing boats .

Allen

Attachments

• intercom system.pdf
    6.8 KB · Views: 85

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Please tell me more about your intercom needs.
Everyone gets a helmet with intercom? PTT or voice activated?
Any plans/needs to communicate with other vehicles or anyone else within a couple miles?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bigal,
Go with a surpplus armored vehicle com set. They are much cheaper and the headsets are brand new ($75.00) each if memory serves me correct.

Also the paint is incredible! I need to get with you on my painting needs :)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OK just checked on the comm system. The only problem I see is it is 24 Volt. Its the same system on the M1 Abrams tank. Comes with two new head sets $510.00. Each additional set is $80.00 (used) $100.00 (new) $Thats 710.00 with 2 extra new headsets. Thats half of what they want for the aircraft set up. Remember you are also paying for the FAA approval when you by anything aircraft related (as long as it is permanatly mounted) Those certs. are very very expensive! Hope this helps you out BigAl.

Attachments

• Com set $500.jpg
    Com set $500.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 296

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
OK just checked on the comm system. The only problem I see is it is 24 Volt. Its the same system on the M1 Abrams tank. Comes with two new head sets $510.00. Each additional set is $80.00 (used) $100.00 (new) $Thats 710.00 with 2 extra new headsets. Thats half of what they want for the aircraft set up. Remember you are also paying for the FAA approval when you by anything aircraft related (as long as it is permanatly mounted) Those certs. are very very expensive! Hope this helps you out BigAl.

Cool !!!:a1: That gives me a idea ! Maybe I should add a cannon on top of my KT7 . A real avalanche stopper!!! I already got a hat from the Sugar Bowl Ski Area "Bomb Squad". I don't know if I am suppose to have a hat but what they don't know won't hurt them .:whistle:

Mike , You bring that Snow Trac over here and we will paint it out! No problem ... We could just shoot it with some Auto enamel to keep the cost down or do a whiz bang Base coat /clear coat if you want to .

How would I set up a 24V without dual batteries???

"BiG Boom " What I want is to have the ability for 4 people to talk to each other and have a stereo system interfaced into the system .VOX. I do not need to talk car to car ,just between the passengers . Much like a motorcycle intercom ,but for 4 people . I want full head sets ( no helmet) to keep the nosy level down .
Al

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
"BiG Boom " What I want is to have the ability for 4 people to talk to each other and have a stereo system interfaced into the system . I do not need to talk car to car ,just between the passengers . Much like a motorcycle intercom ,but for 4 people . I want full head sets ( no helmet) to keep the nosy level down .
Al

Why not just use a thick sound insulation coating around the engine compartment?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Why not just use a thick sound insulation coating around the engine compartment?

Even doing that Bob ,I am afraid the engine noise might get pretty high . Remember a Hydro Drive system runs at wide open on the RPM's.I don't have the advantage of idling down the engine like you can on your Snow Trac .
This thing is mid engine and access is inside the cab . It will have full sound and heat insulation all the way around it ,but what if that does not do the job ?? I need to make room for a intercom system just in case .

And besides I would look really "cool" with my little headset on .:coolshade

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
I would look really "cool" with my little headset on .:coolshade

Just like these guys? :a1:

Attachments

• dukakistank.jpg
    dukakistank.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 292
  • kerry_tank.jpg
    kerry_tank.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 287
  • kerry_tubbies.jpg
    kerry_tubbies.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 290

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey !!! Isn't that last picture a shot of all you guy's at the last 2005 Snow Trac'ers convention that was held in Barstow ????

Yea it is !!! BoB is second from the left and Mike is standing next to him .
Oh, By the way .... Nice outfits :yum: :yum:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
How the hell did "I" get dragged into THAT? Besides the comm sets are without the helmets! I was being helpful and this is what I get? What will I get if I do join the KKK? :confused: :fart2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
How the hell did "I" get dragged into THAT? Besides the comm sets are without the helmets! I was being helpful and this is what I get? What will I get if I do join the KKK? :confused: :fart2:
Not much !!!

Ok guy's .I am outta here . That little fall screwed up a few things . Gonna head to the Doc and exray .
later

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok I'm back. Lord I do love good drugs !!! I can't feel anything now !!!!Nothing broken but I will be moving pretty slow for awhile .Gotta watch my stupid big feet and where I step . I did a "triple Axel with a half pike twist combo" . I got scored pretty high by the judges ,but did not win anything . Going to head off to bed . The pretty little birds keep circling around the monitor .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Glad to hear you are feeling better! I told you that you need to keep all those beer bottles picked up off the garage floor! You need to assign that work to KKK member BCZOOM. I say we take a vote. All those in favor of assigning the peeon work to BCZOOM say I. "I". "I". All those who appose say Nay. "Nay". Ok we have 2 to 1 in favor of BCZOOM being deligated this shameful task of picking up ALL of our beer bottles. Get to work BCZOOM!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Glad to hear you are feeling better! I told you that you need to keep all those beer bottles picked up off the garage floor! You need to assign that work to KKK member BCZOOM. I say we take a vote. All those in favor of assigning the peeon work to BCZOOM say I. "I". "I". All those who appose say Nay. "Nay". Ok we have 2 to 1 in favor of BCZOOM being deligated this shameful task of picking up ALL of our beer bottles. Get to work BCZOOM!
Hey, no voting in secret meetings. I'm a member also so I'll thrown in a "Nay" and make it even.

Besides, those aren't my bottles. I've been telling our fearless leader to switch to cans for a long time.
When we toss them, they don't break.
We can crush them on our forehead.
They're actually worth something to recycle.

Oh, and when we're discussing things in the KKK, please refer to me by my official title of "Big Boom".

BigAl - Hope you get to feeling better.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Now Big Boom ....... Don't you go gettin your knockers all in a twist :boobies: ! Mouse Ear was just jumpin the gun a bit . He ain't no official member yet . A picture of a Kristi on his bathroom wall and a 3 dollar bid on a Ebay Kristicat ain't gonna get it done . He has till Thursday to get a Kristi and become a full fledge member with voting rights or he can petition the "High Court" for a special "Honorary member status" after that .
Well .... the court ain't really that "High" as I am afraid of heights.
So... there you go then ... Everyone happy now ??? Ok lets recess for a beer :beer:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Wait! First of all I am clarvoient. Well ok its something like that. Anyway I said Nay on behalf of "Big Boom". Secondly since I will be bringing a case of beer for our first meeting I know how BigAl will vote. Nothing like a bribe! So suck it Big Boom and get to work!:1062: :drink: :beer: :1062: :drink: :beer:

And I hope not all Kristi members are a bunch of whiners. Boozers is ok but not no damn whiners

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Evening all:tiphat: ,
It was a very slow moving day !! I got out this morning and started forcing myself to move to keep from stiffing up any worst , from the fall I took yesterday . Went out to the shop and taped off the area for the bedliner coated areas . I then put a radius on all the tape corners to try and compliment the body curves . Took my time and a couple of hours later I had sanded the area to be bedlined with 120 grit sandpaper and was ready to go .

This was the first time I have ever done this and was a little nervous . I set the air up to 90 pounds to give the liner spray a flatter look and not so rough. The lower the air pressure the rougher the finish .The bedliner mix ratio is 2 to 1 and I had color added to match the basecoat/clear coat that I applied yesterday . The liner is easy to spray and the results are terrific! I am way more than satisfied!!!:coolshade :coolshade

You want to pull the tape as soon as you are done spraying . DO NOT WAIT !!! Pull the tape toward the liner as you remove it and this will cut a very clean line on the liner material . If you pull away from the liner as you remove the tape you will pull the liner material across your tape line and end up with a fuzzy edge . Now leave it alone and let it Dry !!! Here are some pictures and I will follow with a couple of more .

Big AL:coolshade :coolshade

Attachments

• body 020.jpg
    body 020.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 305
  • body 021.jpg
    body 021.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 303
  • body 017.jpg
    body 017.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 303

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's two more pictures .

:drink: :beer: :1062: :5boobs: :moon: The "LOWER BODY IS DONE" !!!!!!!!

Attachments

• body 022.jpg
    body 022.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 303
  • body 023.jpg
    body 023.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 303