• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg hull rebuild

Kane

I finally finished my muskeg hull, sand blasted and primed the hull over two days . Blasted the bottom and primed on thurs ,then flipped right side up and finished the top today. Both bumpers and fenders and one axle were replaced and the rails needed some pipes changed. Many years as a drilling rig took its toal on the machine, but hopefully when finished it will be ready for some weekend playing !
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:
You've come a long way, baby. Over four years. Beautiful work!

J5 Bombardier

The clock is ticking! Still have a few more items to go into the engine compartment,it's getting full.
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

Attachments

• Assorted  fall 2012 003.JPG
    Assorted fall 2012 003.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 1,483

J5 Bombardier

Home stretch ?
Update on the Muskeg project, wires are all run,dash is in,just have to read all my writing on the wire tags and tie everything together ! If no major problems on the shakedown run happen, then front and rear winches to install and a log clam to go on the back.Amazing how fast 5-6 years can fly by !:hammer:
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• July 2013 029.jpg
    July 2013 029.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,104
  • July 2013 027.jpg
    July 2013 027.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 1,082

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looking good !!!
Great time of year to work on wiring.... only your brain sweats :yum:

J5 Bombardier

It's Alive ! Well sort of, still tinkering with the return springs on the steering cylinders. May have to get the sun block out, I'm not used to working on this outside ! :hammer: J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• August 2013 assorted picks (muskeg ) etc 006.jpg
    August 2013 assorted picks (muskeg ) etc 006.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 1,034

J5 Bombardier

Put my wood clam on my Muskeg today , need it on to finish fabricating the front mount to hold the boom during Transport. Have a bunch of other little items left to do, as we are half way through October, I better get cracking !:hammer:
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• Wood clam install Oct 2013 009.jpg
    Wood clam install Oct 2013 009.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 902

J5 Bombardier

Not Quite ready yet Dixopr, If you sunk this one ,you might have to cut a few more poles. Nice recovery by the way, first time I've ever seen an "almost " submarine with a flathead dodge !
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

Well I think this is it for the Muskeg Rebuild. Put it to work today, went pretty good , a few gremlins to work out ,but I'm pleased, especially with a heated cab . As the before and after pics show its been a long project, that's it that's all !
J5 Bombardier :hammer:

Attachments

• muskeg1.jpg
    muskeg1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 764
  • muskeg2.jpg
    muskeg2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 780

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks really cool :clap: Tough looking :)

It's been a long haul; Congratulations !!!

J5 Bombardier

Muskeg Modifications

I spent last winter giving the rebuilt Muskeg a shake down while cutting stovewood ,
no break downs occurred and I was happy with its performance. But like all projects,there are some things you would do different ,if you had to do it all over again. Two hydraulic pumps are on the Muskeg, a trans/pto drives one (which worked well ) and the second runs off of the crank with two "B" belts.
The belt driven main pump was not satisfactory, as belt slippage was a constant problem, so I'm going to drive a pump off the end of the crank. The mechanical fan will be replaced with a 16 in " electric and the rad will have to be raised. Started by removing the rear cylinders and winch,checked out the space, its going to be a tight sqeeze. On the bright side, no bolts are seized !

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 828
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 562

J5 Bombardier

Finished the driveshaft for the new pump, will have to make a pump mount next. Snow is melting , no pressure !

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 528

J5 Bombardier

Made some progress on the pump install, driveshaft is installed and the pump is mounted . J5 Bombardier :hammer:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 481
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 479

J5 Bombardier

Finished the hyd pump and fan install, swapped out the alternator to a 94 amp to handle the fan demands. Other than a bad fan switch, I'm happy with the results, still have to adjust the hood height to compensate for the higher rad height. After checking the fluid levels and some grease ,should be ready to go to work .

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 420

1986mcd

Post #1, with the tub supported by the International tractor, clearly shows the difference in our machines suspension. #5 & 14 beautiful frame work. Did you standard square tube, or structural grade? I plan on .083 Corten for the skin. Hoping to plasma cut the existing skin off the existing frame. Beautiful design, engineering, and manufacturing on your rig!!

J5 Bombardier

Brought my Yellow Muskeg in for some Batteries, couldn't believe they were the originals when I restored it. The Isuzu 6cyl is always a good starter and it only let me down last Sunday , but it was cold. Either way , changed them out, tight space, can't blame anyone else, cause I'm the guy that designed / fabbed it , hindsight is always 20-20. lol

Attachments

• 2022-01-19 jan#6 2022 001 - Copy.jpg
    2022-01-19 jan#6 2022 001 - Copy.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 2022-01-19 jan#6 2022 002 - Copy.jpg
    2022-01-19 jan#6 2022 002 - Copy.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 94

Snowy Rivers

Sometimes we just don't get great options on where some things will go... As long as you can get them out without having to tear half the the cat apart.....Looks good.

J5 Bombardier

I was going with the "Clean" look outside the machine at the time. If I was doing it now , batts would go under the passenger seat and the hyd tank outside on the deck........ next one will be different....... lol

J5 Bombardier

I've had the Hardy log clam on my Muskeg for nine years , it's been trouble free, a great loader, with a twenty foot reach. Been chasing this noise when swinging the mast lately , long story short, the top bearing was rough/ pitted. After lots of heat and jacking managed to get the mast gear off. Parts are cleaned ,gear slides free on the 4in mast and two bearings are coming this afternoon, the worst is over.......I think.
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• 20230501_080542 - Copy.jpg
    20230501_080542 - Copy.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230501_080213_resized - Copy.jpg
    20230501_080213_resized - Copy.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230501_122442_resized - Copy.jpg
    20230501_122442_resized - Copy.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 46