• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ARRL Worldwide 10M Contest this weekend.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Big weekend coming up for a lot of Amateur Radio operators around the world, as the ARRL 10M contest takes place. The contest starts at 0000 UTC Saturday, and ends at 2359 UTC Sunday, December 13-14, 2014. Last year was the first year I participated in this contest, and I was fortunate enough to log contacts on six out of the seven continents. This is a great contest for new amateurs with their technician Class license, as the 10 meter band is available to you from 28.300mhz up to 28.500mhz, and you can make a simple wire dipole antenna and talk around the world. That's a lot of bandwidth to talk on, so fire up you radio and have some fun. For more information on the contest, go to http://www.arrl.org/10-meter

For a simple wire dipole antenna, try this one. http://www.hamuniverse.com/10metertechniciandipole.html

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
10 meters was wide open yesterday from the South East US,.... Europe in the morning and Alaska/Japan in the early evening

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks to be a good weekend for propagation. Yesterday I worked Chile (2 contacts), Guatamala, Puerto Rico, Aruba and KL7YK in Alaska. On 12-9-14 I worked VK4NM in Australia on 28.498mhz at 20:00 UTC off my Wilson System 33 tri-band beam. Broke a nice pileup with just 100W, so the 8db gain was working well. Looking forward to some nice contacts, and hopefully Antarctica if the planets are all aligned and the propagation gods are with me.:brows: That's the only continent that has eluded me in 4 years of trying. I'll be watching the DX spotting sites to see if it pops up. Spotting sites are legit for this contest.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
... I'll be watching the DX spotting sites to see if it pops up. Spotting sites are legit for this contest.

good luck with your needed continent.

spotting usage is legal depending on your entry class:

Entry Categories:
3.1. Single Operator (use of spotting networks is NOT PERMITTED)

3.2. Single Operator Unlimited: The use of spotting assistance or automated, multi-channel decoders is permitted.

3.3. Multioperator, Single Transmitter (use of spotting networks is permitted):

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Enjoyed the ARRL 10M contest Saturday & today. I logged 192 contact with 66 multipliers, for about 28,000+ points. I added 6 new countries, so I'm up to 82 countries in my QRZ logbook. The Wilson System 33 Tri Band Beam was a blast. I would work a large area off my Carolina Windom, then switch over to the beam to break pileups and pull in more stations. The 8db gain was HUGE in adding multipliers, not to mention how much the receive was improved. Had zero luck with anything East of Ohio and the Southeast states as well. Florida came in fine because it was far enough away, but nothing from the Carolinas up to Main..dead! If I had my thinking cap on, I coupl have rigged up a pair of 10m hamsticks on a painter's pole for a NVIS antenna, and pulled in everything within 500 miles. Gotta make a note to do that next year.

I had a problem logging a contact for Ohio, until I heard a friend who normally works CW only, making a phone contact on a frequency where I had tuned to (he's less than one mile away). I teased him a bit, then logged him as my Ohio contact for an additional multiplier...he did the same!

No Hawaii contacts, but picked up several Alaska during their few hours of daylight they have now, and one Northwest Territory contact. Only one Japan, and no other Pacific contacts. Antarctica has again eluded me, and I'm still at six continents.

All in all it was a lot of fun. While my numbers are not anything to write home about, I'm happy with my performance and my new-to-me beam antenna.