• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Future Project

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Ive been toying with the idea of building my own cat now for a bit. This idea has been passed around here before but I wanted to get your input and here some of your ideas.

Engine: Chevy aluminum block and heads 4.3 V6

Transmission: Turbo700R4

Rear Diff: OC12 with drop down axles.

Tires and rims: 235/85R16 On alcoha rims

Frame: Built off of Spryte frame.

Cab: Insulated 10 passenger unit designed for expedition type use.

Suspension: Torsion axles

Grousers: Aluminum grousers designed for deep powder use.

I would want lots of ground clearance for running in deep powder and a smooth bottom. Maybe skin it in aluminum with quick disconnect fasteners.

Please add what you want.

Last edited:

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Tho I love the sprytes,I have attempted this and found spryte chassis are narrow for a 90 degree v-6 or v-8 .I'm not sayin ,it cant be done.:myopinion: Anything is possible. :my2cents: I went with a 2100 chassis and kept it narrow with the spryte axles, and the oc-12 with drop boxes. The bottom is flat on the chassis with the axles underneath. I chose the Allison At-545 for durability and versatility as its an easy transplant requiring no computer, and have a parking brake mounted on the driveshaft flange. My engine is a 4 cyl deere, but I am leaning towards the 6BT cummins for a little more hp.:drive2:
Right now its on the back burner, the bolts came in for my tracks and the rubber will be here in 2 days(hopefully), for the snow-van.:pirate: The track design will be modified, and the axles will be 18" narrower, before she rolls out of the garage again, being closer to legal transport width, so I can easliy ship her out west on the next snow cat expedition !!!:rock:

cooper427

i was going to put a p pump 4bt cummins in my spryte, but weight and cold starts in the back country made me lean toward the motor out of my old boat, 165 mercruiser engine (250 chevy straight 6) and a turbo 400, i am looking for an oc12 for my cat, my tracks are 8'4" outside. ever consider a 300 ford? it's heavy, but clifford performance makes tons of hotrod stuff.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
GREAT ideas! The only problem I have with diesels is they are very heavy. EXCELLENT engine choices though and I would go with a 4BT if I was building an all terrain vehicle. This will be strickly a deep snow capable rig hence the tall alluminum grousers. I have measured and a Chevy V6 (4.3 Vortec) engine should work just fine. Another excellent engine choice would be the Chevy 250 inline six! If its the same weight as the V6 then that would be a better choice than the Vortec V6 I believe. A Turbo 400 is a great trans but does not have the overdrive I want. Thats the reason I chose a Turbo 700R4. With the OC12 and drop down axles your max speed is around 10 mph. The great thing about the drop down axles is the fact you have alot more ground clearance. The desired max speed while running the engine at a safe RPM should be around 18 MPH. My Super Imp will go 24 mph but 18 mph seems to be about as fast I want to go without running the RPMs way to high for my comfort zone. The goal to a good deep powder rig is light weight. About a 65/35 weight distribution. Lots of ground clearance and a smooth bottom just in case you do drag the belly. Since this unit will not have a blade I would like to see about a .40 range in psi. My goal is to find a beat up Thiokol spryte with an OC12 for cheap and just dig into her. The two I have right now are to nice for a complete overhaul like that.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Would be cool to have one of those turbines, though. Runs on almost anything, probably even the urine of some snowcat operators I know. :rolleyes:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
For a personal snowcat, unless you need the torque for pulling that a deisel would provide, I'd go with a gas engine myself. In the cold weather, unless those deisels are plugged in, they're a pain in the A$$ to start. Trust me, I've had to boost two of them in the past three days that wouldn't start after not being plugged in.(both cummins) Mind you, both our machines only have signal batteries which will be converted soon to duals which will provide more UMPH when cranking it over and powering extra lights and such.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
You are almost describing a 601. Arent they capable of 35 to 40 mph? How about that cat with extra wide tracks to float you. I know it would be a transport problem, but I think it would make a nice cat. If you want a spryte how a bout a high drive system like on the cat bulldozers. Or ripsaw. Then you could design in your desired ground clearance. And keep it narrow. This is a cool idea. :respect:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Tho I love the sprytes,I have attempted this and found spryte chassis are narrow for a 90 degree v-6 or v-8 .I'm not sayin ,it cant be done.:myopinion: Anything is possible. :my2cents: I went with a 2100 chassis and kept it narrow with the spryte axles, and the oc-12 with drop boxes. The bottom is flat on the chassis with the axles underneath. I chose the Allison At-545 for durability and versatility as its an easy transplant requiring no computer, and have a parking brake mounted on the driveshaft flange. My engine is a 4 cyl deere, but I am leaning towards the 6BT cummins for a little more hp.:drive2:
Right now its on the back burner, the bolts came in for my tracks and the rubber will be here in 2 days(hopefully), for the snow-van.:pirate: The track design will be modified, and the axles will be 18" narrower, before she rolls out of the garage again, being closer to legal transport width, so I can easliy ship her out west on the next snow cat expedition !!!:rock:

I need to remeasure then. I was under the impression a V6 would fit snugly in. Also please join us! Not sure where the next snowcat expedition will be but it will be fun!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I agree the Chassis are narrow BUT that allows for some wide tracks without going over the legal road width limit of 8'6".

scottc

How about an inline 5 or 6 cyl from newer gm trucks?
Efi and Od trans. maybe from a Colorado?
Scott

cooper427

the 300 fords from '73 on had hardened seats and carburetors till they went to efi in the 80's, but a 300 ford is a pig, and weighs about the same as a 4bt if i had to guess, the marine 250 chevy is a lighter engine and has about the same torque as the ford. besides after last spring fishing at ice off and hitting an ice sheet at 30 mph i figure my boat motor deserves a chance in a cat. ice that thick does weired things to hulls and props!!!

mkntrakes

a 300 ford efi engine is by far the best 6 Cly engine for a snow cat . although the ford efi system is to big to fit in a thiokol chassis have taken a gm throttle body and retrofited it to my 1200 c this has proven to be the best modification i have done increased low end torque and fuel economy.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
How about an inline 5 or 6 cyl from newer gm trucks?
Efi and Od trans. maybe from a Colorado?
Scott

That 6 cylinder I was talking about is in production right now with GM. I here the 5 cylinder has the power of a 4 and the fuel economy of an 8! If thats the one they stuck in the HummerIII.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
a 300 ford efi engine is by far the best 6 Cly engine for a snow cat . although the ford efi system is to big to fit in a thiokol chassis have taken a gm throttle body and retrofited it to my 1200 c this has proven to be the best modification i have done increased low end torque and fuel economy.

Whats your GPH roughly?