• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Forum Snow cats meet in Michigan!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got back from the U.P. in Michigan with some other forum members. We had a great time! :biggrin:

Not only that I think we have come up with a good excuse to make this an anual event for any and all snow cat owners who can make it to upper Michigan next year. I think there will be an "official event" up there next at a Ski resort called Powder Horn. The owner was nice enough to let us come by after ski hours and run our cats up and down the ski runs. This was fallowed by dinner and some planning for next years event. And of course ride and drives in the 350 HP grommer they had running that evening!

I just uploaded some pics to my photo bucket account, and will be down loading them as I get time. I hope you other members presant will so kind as to share some of there's here as well...

The snow we found to run on was very deep on the unplowed logging roads. I know how well these old machines can do now in the deep stuff. I am still impressed with my old Snow Trac, now more than ever. You can count me as a big fan of steel track Tuckers too!!

Pics to fallow!

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SnowTracinMichiganwithfriends032_zps954f906d.jpg

SnowTracinMichiganwithfriends010_zps905aedc1.jpg

SnowTracinMichiganwithfriends013_zps064cc64d.jpg

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Upper midwest Get together

Great fun.

Photo journal.

Photo one welcoming weather. Walked out for dinner. then walked out to procure appropriate beverages.... This is Sub zero snow with stout winds straight off lake superior.

Photo two should or could be a visit to a museum of all things mechanical. I will be going back to that expose.

Photo three should be a beverage stop trail side. Lots of attention and positive words about the machinery.....

Photo four should be a picture of a person that can't follow directions. that sign is way up a pole and I could not resist the opportunity to see if I could get up that snow bank. I am six one and shot the photo from the road surface.

Moving forward for 2015:
I am pretty sure we found a home base for the GTG.
I am confident the snow conditions justify the means of transportation.
We had a good time. that is for sure.

In the irony department....
Kirk the chainsaw started on the second pull and cut fire wood all day today. Not sure what was up with that but maybe the spirit of superior was trying to tell us something about continuing on Friday????

More photos to follow.

Attachments

• DSC01550 (Small).JPG
    DSC01550 (Small).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC01558 (Small).JPG
    DSC01558 (Small).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC01561 (Small).JPG
    DSC01561 (Small).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 507
  • DSC01565 (Small).JPG
    DSC01565 (Small).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 511

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn ! I see a Kristi KT3 and a detract KT4 in picture #2

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You mean this one Al? Note the optional amphibious kit...
SnowTracinMichiganwithfriends004_zpsd1c0cd7a.jpg

Even us Snow Trac guys understand what rare is...

Or this? KT3..
SnowTracinMichiganwithfriends003_zps4346f478.jpg

Yes Al we know a little bit too!

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
just like Allen's they are siting in a garage. Allens going to have to get his out some more to dispel that myth that a krusty on the snow is as rare as big foot.

undy

Man, it looks like you guys had a blast. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Really too bad i couldn't join you this time around. It seems like everything just conspired to keep me home (govt. hearing, sick wood stove, injured knee, etc.).

Thanks for planning again for next year. I intend to attend, come he!! or deep snow (preferably deep snow!).

Looks like Powderhorn hasn't changed much over the years. Vertical Drop was always my favorite run, especially on big snow years when you literally have to duck to clear the chairlift as you drop into it. It'd be a gas to be back there skiing. But truthfully, with the snow you had up there, maybe I should just tie a rope behind someone's snowcat and ski behind it. ??

Pretty cool that they let you run the hills. Kind of like vintage racing...

Very cool! Love the pics of Powderhorn

I graduated from high school in Bessemer (home of the "Speedboys" ya know eh)and Gogebic Comm College's SAM program in Ironwood. I'd love to be able to trailer my Tucker back there - bit far from CO unfortunately. My friends in Bessemer have been talking about the snow this year - wow, your pics really show how deep it is

Thanks for sharing

cootbruce

Speaking for Big Powderhorn Mountain Resort, we had a great time hosting the ride and look forward to another event. We will have all four of our machines out for the next event and maybe even our Ski Dozer and Excel Hustler! Special thanks to Matt for coordinating the event.

Thanks to those who visited.

More photos from the Michigan ride.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 476
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 470
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 467
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 470

cootbruce

Some Youtube videos from Michigan ride at....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajdZfkkYQp0"]026 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hG8VlZHbs"]027 - YouTube[/ame]

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cootbruce,

Our thanks for letting us enjoy your beautiful facility! I am quite sure those of us there will be back, and with our families! I was hoping to find such an attraction for the family to enjoy as well. We look forward to helping you celebrate your 50th anniversary at Big Powder Horn!

The daughters think Dad's getting old and a little too crazy about the snow cat thing... But I think they already are excited to Ski at your facility!

Best regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
1800 miles from my home. unlikely you'll see me.

Sorry to hear that... But I can understand.

Oh did we mention it was -20 Thursday moring? The high for the day was below zero.... We took every precaution while breaking trail on the forest service roads. We were prepared with tow straps, chains come alongs ect.. Just in case. A snow trac is a good thing with a extra propane heater in it to keep the cab toasty.. When you are stopped.

We hope all who see this, and can plan for it will attend. The more we have show up the better... You know how it is..

Regards, Kirk

pfhlaw

Cootbruce
On December 31, 1967, I skied Powderhorn. That was the day of the Packers Ice Bowl. 50 below zero. Were you there then?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That full bodied tucker was there then, it was two years old, and according to some of the staff was quite a popular addition to the ski runs.

Mike

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh there was some throttle cables stretched. that is for sure.

The results were surprising.

I think we need to have a hill climb competition given the play ground.

cootbruce

The dates have been set for the 2015 Cat Clowder At Big Powderhorn....If you don't know what a clowder is....(it is what you call a group of cats....like a herd of deer, or a flock of sheep) so what better to call a meeting of cats!

The dates are Feb 6&7 at Big Powderhorn Mountain Resort, Bessemer Mi. The dates were selected to follow the annual St. Germain snow grooming show held Feb.5.

Plans are still being made...however, plan on some backwoods riding in deep snow, showing off your machines, trading stories and parts, dinner with a few fun speakers and, of course, driving the machines on the ski resort slopes.

More information will be coming soon. Please express your interest in attending so that we can plan accordingly....post your interest here or email me....bruce@bigpowderhorn.net

We hope to see you at the first Midwest Cat Clowder!