• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Opinion; Lots snowcats for sale right now.

Snowcat Pat

More than I have seen at one time on the auctions and want adds than maybe the last twenty years. Most of them at low prices too. In the middle of summer at that.

One good winter and that may change. One more lousy winter and who knows.

If one wants a 'cat it would appear to be a buyers market.

Am I missing something? What else is going on?

(I'm prepared to be flamed if your so inclined).

-Pat

Okanagan

Interesting observation, Pat.

I must be missing something, because I'm finding that there are plenty of sellers who don't seem particularly motivated to sell what they've got if a "buyers market" indeed truly exists.

I have a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket for a good Bombardier SW48, but in spite of scouring the web for several months now (searching dealers and private listings throughout both Canada and the USA), I still haven't come across any decent deals. There seems to be plenty of sow's ears out there, but I don't want to have to sell a kidney to cover obviously needed restoration/repair costs.

In fact, all I've found is a handful of (ahem) well-worn machines of obviously dubious condition and background being advertised for several thousand dollars more than what would reasonably constitute a "good" price, all things considered.

I have stumbled across a couple of grooming machines that sold almost instantly because they were well priced, but unfortunately for me, none would have been practical for my needs.

Good looking machinery in Europe is plentiful and certainly much cheaper than here, though, but who can afford the shipping and import tariffs?

AdkSnowcat

More than I have seen at one time on the auctions and want adds than maybe the last twenty years. Most of them at low prices too. In the middle of summer at that.

One good winter and that may change. One more lousy winter and who knows.

If one wants a 'cat it would appear to be a buyers market.

Am I missing something? What else is going on?

(I'm prepared to be flamed if your so inclined).

-Pat

Where are all these cats for sale? I've seen the three in Utah. Others?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would say availability and price are dependent on the machine it self. Some machines are more popular than others, and there far have more potential buyers...

I don't se and excess of Snow Tracs for sale for instance. Limited supply and many potential buys it would seem..

Larger cats, take wider trails, are harder and heavier to trailer are less popular, and have a smaller market of buyers.

So I would say it depends....

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would have to agree with 300 H&H , the smaller cats in my lot don't last long the 1404,1450, Bombis for example we have 4 bombardier Bombis right now and I have a list of people that want them when we get done going through
Them. Snowtracs are seeming a hot commodity and if I wanted to sell mine could have many times over. I think some of the collector vehicles have declined
Unless rare and then these rules don't seem to apply. I would say the utility equipment is about the same this season and most of our rentals our rented the bigger go-tracts and Nodwell style. Some interest in new machines in the large and small variety Bombardier J5 size for firefighting and large utility machines
Like the GT3000 the power companies always seem to want new ones

But this is the Midwest and I think it varies by local somewhat and if only snow dependent use. Which I feel is more Western

We did ship one machine to Nicaragua this year which was a first!

Snowcat Pat

I must be paying too much. Hope management doesn't find out.

Grateful for your responses, and our Nations Independence.

-Pat

hunter1951

There is a tucker sno-cat near anchorage it has two seats up front and looks like it could seat 4 more in the rear cab it has two side doors and a large rear door, the tracks, wheels and drive sprockets look brand new I looked in the back of the rig and all the old parts are in there, oh I think he said it had a 383 Chrysler moter he said he would sell it to me for 5,000.00 if any body is interested I will forward the contact info, it had high hours though and it was used for leveling snowmobile trails.

There is a tucker sno-cat near anchorage it has two seats up front and looks like it could seat 4 more in the rear cab it has two side doors and a large rear door, the tracks, wheels and drive sprockets look brand new I looked in the back of the rig and all the old parts are in there, oh I think he said it had a 383 Chrysler moter he said he would sell it to me for 5,000.00 if any body is interested I will forward the contact info, it had high hours though and it was used for leveling snowmobile trails.

I wouldn't mind knowing the location and have a look see the next time I go to town.:biggrin:

hunter1951

Hello all it has been sometime but I was able to get a lot of pictures, when I looked at it again it looks to have new tracks and all new idlers and drive sprockets. If you are interested pm me with your email address and I will send the pictures to you. it is drivable as it sits the only thing they could say wrong with it is it has a leak at the fuel filter, but i suppose you never know.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've yet to see all that many 1450s on sale, ones that I like to see on sale...

I've gotten few calls, but no one is ready to buy, or serious enough even to make an good reasonable offer. I was suggested now by few forum members to keep my price reasonable (higher) in order to keep the value of the labor at reasonable cost.

I think most of us who's done the work themselves, will agree that resto projects such as mine should be sold penny on a dollar.

Its something like that...

P.s. folks in California been talking that this winter is expected to have higher than normal precipitation and Tahoe area is expected to get heavy snowfall...

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've yet to see all that many 1450s on sale, ones that I like to see on sale...

I've gotten few calls, but no one is ready to buy, or serious enough even to make an good reasonable offer. I was suggested now by few forum members to keep my price reasonable (higher) in order to keep the value of the labor at reasonable cost.

I think most of us who's done the work themselves, will agree that resto projects such as mine should be sold penny on a dollar.

Its something like that...

P.s. folks in California been talking that this winter is expected to have higher than normal precipitation and Tahoe area is expected to get heavy snowfall...

This one sold recently 7800.00 listed as snowmobile Nevada
But your correct custom rebuilds are best done for someone that want a cat and they want is customized otherwise not many really appreciate the time it takes.

Like I've said before the best way to become a millionaire selling snowcat is to
Start out a billionaire

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 404

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This one sold recently 7800.00 listed as snowmobile Nevada
But your correct custom rebuilds are best done for someone that want a cat and they want is customized otherwise not many really appreciate the time it takes.

Like I've said before the best way to become a millionaire selling snowcat is to
Start out a billionaire

I think in "heart" all snowcat owners are billionaires... :)

undy

Let's hope that's correct. They need it.

A friend recently sent me a link to a bird's eye view of some of the dry regions of California, with before and after shots: http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexnaidus/california-drought-images?bffb#3d3119b

In addition, this month's Powder magazine has an article entitled "Worst Coast" about the drought's effect on the ski area's out there. Snoqualmie was only open 29 days, and Mt. Ashland in Oregon never opened at all.

I live in what's generally considered to be a snow belt - snow and lots of it from mid November until April - even in to May some years - the local radio station would broadcast hourly warnings about the dangers of snowmobiling over hidden wire fences - those years seem to be gone with winters getting shorter and shorter and warmer - last winter the snow didn't reach the bottom rail on the fence - winter lasted 30 days and for much of that had huge puddles sitting on my trails - the local ski hill was open 30 days - we did 6 tours with my sleddogs when most years it's more like 60 tours - 60 tours is enough to pay half a years supply of dog food for my kennel, so that hurt - I wasn't able to get enough dog training done to even think about racing - hopefully we get a good dump of snow this coming winter and it stays cold enough that we don't have to deal with lakes ( or skating rinks when it freezes again ) on the trail, and I'm really looking forward to grooming trails with my 1344 Tucker - a push blade is being installed now and my drag only needs a few modifications to be ready to tag along behind the Tucker - the idea of grooming trails with 37000 BTU of heat blasting away, and maybe some music if I get around to installing a radio sounds very attractive after 40 years of snowmobile grooming