• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Salt Lake City snowcat auction on 8/20/15

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I've taken a hiatus from the forum for a year or so, but I went to the J.J. Kane auction in SLC yesterday and decided to share my thoughts; on both the process and results.

Let me say first I'm not a big auction goer and have limited experience with these. Those with more experience should chime in to offer their perspective. I'll also say that my intention was to purchase one or two snowcats to resell (at a profit) after thorough re-conditioning.

There were eight snowcats at the auction; seven LMC's and one Thiokol, as well as three trailers sold separately (some snowcats were sold with trailers).

In the days and weeks prior to the auction there was very little information about the individual machines on the J.J. Kane website. A day or so before the auction they posted more photos but really no more detailed information. If you go to another auction site, ironplanet.com you'll see that on their auctions of surplus military trucks they typically have 50 or so photos of each truck; outside, inside, under the hood, etc. They also have videos (with sound) of the engines running and describe the performance of the vehicle in a basic operational evaluation. My impression is they try and do a thorough job of accurately representing the condition of the vehicle. If a gasket is leaking they'll say so. If a door is dented - they'll highlight that with a photo. Further they have a guarantee if the vehicle is significantly different than the way it's represented.

J.J. Kane however posted only about five or so photos per machine. There were no photos of the interiors, nor pictures of the engines. Just a few photos of the outsides; front view, side view, rear view, etc. There was no effort to highlight "problem" areas. I'm not saying they willfully attempted to deceive anybody, but rather their depictions were incomplete.

I had been called out of town on a last minute business trip and was going to be unable to be there for the start of the auction. My snowcat buddy was going to be there, and we spent over an hour looking carefully at all the photos and deciding on the maximum bid for each item the night before the auction. My Delta flight from MSP-SLC left on schedule and the captain did a great job of finding smooth air and he must have flown fast, as he got us to the gate 15 minutes early. I hurried to the auction site and surprisingly the snowcats were still available. I met my buddy and we went over and looked at each one.

The track belts, grousers, bogie wheels and drive sprockets were generally in excellent condition. However the cabs were not. Lots of rust, many dented or creased panels/doors (some requiring replacement), headliners hanging down, torn seats, damaged upholstery, etc. It was disclosed in the website listings that many of the snowcats did not run. In some cases there was no key, the engine was apart, etc. I would say despite having carefully evaluated the photos, the machines in person were uniformly in worse shape than we thought based on careful review of the available pictures.

When it came time for the first machine to be auctioned the auctioneer announced they would be sold "together". (Huh??? That was never disclosed on the website.) He said the process would be for people to bid according to their wishes and the winning bidder could pick one machine or any number of machines (or all of them) at that price.

The first machine was a 1986 LMC 1500 crew cab with front blade. Our on-site inspection revealed the blade was bent (not too badly - but it was bent) and we didn't see that in the photos. Our analysis the night before was we would bid a maximum of $15K. When the bidding stopped the price was $18K and the high bidder was a mystery bidder (via the Internet) described as "Bidder number 120". He wanted just that machine at that price.

The process started again with the next snowcat. The bidding stopped at $17K, and again the winner was Bidder 120. This time he chose to take four (I think) at that price. (Of that group our maximum bid was $12,500.)

Once again the bidding started and it topped out at $13,000. And once again Bidder 120 was the winner. He chose to take all three remaining machines at that price. (Of that group our highest bid would have been $10,000. But our lowest would have been $6,500; exactly half of the selling price.)

Eventually the auction moved to the three trailers. The newest (and best looking) was a 1990 Maxey tilting, tandem axle, 5-ton trailer. Carefully looking at the photos we saw the tongue was bent. Again the auctioneer decided to sell them together. You can probably guess who the high bidder was...yup at $4,400.00 it was Bidder 120 and he took that trailer and a really rusty 1986 Maxey with the same configuration. The remaining trailer sold to an on-site bidder for $2,600.

All the prices I've mentioned did not include the buyer's premium. For an on-site bidder that was 10%. For an Internet bidder it was 12%.

dzuppio

I participated with a JJKane auction last week (Saturday) in PA online. I agree that there should have been more pics. one of the machines I looked at didn't have any pics, the other has 2 pics. The Friday before the auction, they posted 6 - 8 of each. I picked up a 1980 skidozer sv252 for $4k. it just arrived, and looks to decent shape.

tomelroy

Thanks for the update on the auction. I went down and inspected them the day before the auction. Jj kane is a joke compared to ironplanet or richie bros . These were some of the worst condition lmc cats i have ever seen (severe rust). There were 3 that i would have bid on if jj kane website was not such a joke. But at the prices these went for and the ridiculous format. i wouldn't have won anything either. If you find out who bidder 120 is let me know. I hope 120 inspected them in person or they are going to be a bit disappointed when they see them in person.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Blackfoot,

all I can add to your words above is that if I prepare for the sale and do my homework research and make the necessary arrangements...... the prices go stupid high.

If I stumble across an auction and the diamond in the rough pops up last minute and goes cheap, I am usually out of town travelling, Cash poor, or fighting with the wife over something useless or working long hours.

auctions that have the mystery bidders frustrate me.
auctions are just that, a gamble of sorts. Im glad you were able to get on sight and review the machines. great save on your part.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The demand for snow cats drives the pricing. Many of us that have owned snow cats for years may see the prices as too high while the newbies getting into a snow cat for the first time will pay the price of the current sale/asking price. Yes, there are good deals and bad deals out there in the real world and the buyer just needs to sort it out.

When asked by someone if I think they got a good deal I will tell them. "If you are happy with what you bought and the price you paid then you got a good deal. Don't let some else crash your parade as long as you are ok with it." Mountain property prices are like snow cat prices. They may seem too high but the demand far exceeds the supply so the prices are high. The buyers are still buying which drives the prices even higher just like the snow cat market today.

we have a jj kane lot in my town----when there is an on line bidder I walk away-----I have fast internet in my house-----but there guy standing in a lot has faster net than I do at home----there is never a pause with the internet bidder-----I know I pause when bidding in person-----just sayin --------------the only good cat is a dead cat-----except a sno -cat

brianf

I have bought off this auction company, pics and info on machines is limited and usally they want it removed very quick, within days, I see this machine retail for 30000 at dealers so probally some upside in resale after repairs, I see alot of dealers buy as many of one type of machine say lmc1500 if you corner market and have most inventory you set price, my advice look for auction with only 1 or 2 machines may get a better deal, but action machines are worn and need work there is a reason why they are being sold

Dummyfatpigpoo

I am "bidder 120"... Lets just say that there was a little miscommunication with the bidding as I was at Disneyland that day on family vacation and when I got my email Friday night learned I had just made a VERY large purchase of LMC inventory!

JJ Kane "helpfully" placed "book bids" for me and did not phone me for live input as requested during the auction. If they had, I would certainly not have taken all 8 cats. As you can imagine, I wrote a very large check Monday...

The good news is that except for the last 1500 that the tracks were off of, all the "non-running / no key" machines were mis-marked and all of them do run and have keys. I was able to start and load them all Monday afternoon and haul to my shop without any trouble (except for a blown slave cyl. on the oldest 1200 while turning it in the yard to load).

It would appear on first review that the rust and dent issues mentioned by others are somewhat exaggerated... There is of course some rust and a few dents and scrapes, but nothing terrible and certainly better than many cats of similar age that I have seen. A good pressure wash/steam-clean will do wonders to see what I actually have, but overall, mechanically they seem solid/complete, nothing serious has jumped out yet anyway and the interior issues with some sagging insulation and upholstery are very minor.

Hr. meters are working and given the general good condition of tracks - belts/grousers/drive sprockets/bogies, I would guess the hrs indicated are accurate.

All the machines are ex-Rocky Mountain Power (Formerly Utah Power and Light, et. al.) and were pulled from the surrounding region (Wyoming, Idaho, Utah). My Rocky Mountain Power contact told me they all had been sitting in storage for a number of years as newer machines have been put into service and they were auctioned as "surplus" along with the other equipment to clear them off the books since they are now fully depreciated and the corporate bean-counters are happy.

As I start to clean them up and go through them, you will see them appear in the usual spots for sale - KSL, Craigslist, Ebay, etc. (Heck, if that 1450 currently on Ebay actually sells for $35k, I may have hit the jackpot! Or more likely, will at a minimum get my dollars back, possibly make a few bucks in the process, and definitely have a good time tinkering! I will now have the chance to really see what machine I like best - my current 1450, a 1200 or 1500 - given we get some decent snow this year that is...)

If anyone is local to SLC and wants to come poke and prod them, drop me a line. You are welcome anytime.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jumping in the water is an understatment,
congratulations on nailing the dive.

I always wondered how the internet bids worked. that makes total sense.
Thanks for the insight.

have fun

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
It would appear on first review that the rust and dent issues mentioned by others are somewhat exaggerated... There is of course some rust and a few dents and scrapes, but nothing terrible and certainly better than many cats of similar age that I have seen. A good pressure wash/steam-clean will do wonders to see what I actually have, but overall, mechanically they seem solid/complete, nothing serious has jumped out yet anyway and the interior issues with some sagging insulation and upholstery are very minor.

As the one who started the thread I find your comments interesting. I thought it very likely that you would have had significant "bidders remorse" when you saw the condition of the machines. Certainly condition is in the eyes of the beholder. I've been on more than a few wild goose chases to look at vehicles described as "excellent" when I'd think "fair" was more than generous.

While I have no experience with the Thiokol/DMC/LMC side, Tomelroy is very knowledgeable about them. I found his comments interesting as his impressions seemed to mirror my own.

It was a few years ago but forum member Reddog had a really nice LMC 1500 for sale. That snowcat was gorgeous and honestly I was surprised at how long it took to sell. He had it priced very reasonably yet no buyers. I don't know what it sold for but here's a link:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=53818&highlight=lmc+1500

I considered the condition of his machine, the pricing, and difficulty in selling when formulating my valuations.

Good luck with your purchases and welcome to the forum.