• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

aluminum or steel flatbed

battdad

Hey all, dont know if this is the right place to ask but here goes
I have a 2004 chevy pickup that i want to put a flatbed on, my problem is deciding between aluminum or steel. I live in Montana where they spray plenty of ice melt in the winter time. I have seen steel flatbeds with bubbles all over them from corrosion, but aluminum is not exempt from that problem either.
Does anybody have stories, good or bad on either steel or aluminum? The other thing to consider is weight, aluminum is lighter but the extra weight of the steel bed might make for a smoother ride when empty. any input would be greatly appreciated.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If I could afford aluminum, I would get that. The steel flatbed I put on my truck 5 years ago has badly peeling paint/powder coat whatever and it's really hard to sand/scrape, ready for paint the diamond plate.
Aluminum can be pressure washed and sprayed with an oil that will slow corrosion and look much better than steel.

battdad

thanks Pixie,
I think aluminum is the way to go also, just wanted some input from someone who has actually owned and experienced it first hand.
thanks again