• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTF kind of damage is this?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a fixer-upper a couple of weeks ago and today, after I tore off some paneling I found this. Not sure what it is but it's isolated to the outside wall.

Termites? Water damage?

xxx%2520011.JPG

xxx%2520010.JPG

xxx%2520009.JPG

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like water damage to me. I would tear it off and check behind it. Then you will know what you have to deal with. They may have let the roof get real bad previously.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like water damage to me. I would tear it off and check behind it. Then you will know what you have to deal with. They may have let the roof get real bad previously.
Yep, I sure hope so. I'm inclined to go with the water damage theory as it is only on the outside wall.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Could have been bad drip edge or spouting. Water gets in via some strange ways at times. Open it up and see if it is dry or wet and moldy behind it.Leave it open and wait for a good rain and see if it is still coming in.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Based on your previous pictures and the relative proximity to the creek, I'm going with water damage. The house is sweating between the outside walls and the inside veneers. We see this on basement rehabs in wet hot climates.

The house was vacant in that environment for two years. Closed up and un-vented.

Likely through out the house.
Pull the drywall
Check for dry rot in the framing,
Make repairs.
Include a moisture barrier

Get a di-humidifying system.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Based on your previous pictures and the relative proximity to the creek, I'm going with water damage. The house is sweating between the outside walls and the inside veneers. We see this on basement rehabs in wet hot climates.

The house was vacant in that environment for two years. Closed up and un-vented.

Pull the drywall
Make repairs.

This is a different house Franc. Located far away from any bodies of water. A leak is possible though...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Those channels look like termite runs to me...But I didn't know water damage could look like this either...

Better stick to farming I guess...

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Those channels look like termite runs to me...But I didn't know water damage could look like this either...

Better stick to farming I guess...

Regards, Kirk

Yeah that's where I'm going with my questions. The sheet rock is not taped and the patterns emminate from the unsealed seams.
If the brown we see is a granular powder it may well be the migration of termite feces.

Generaly termites would eat the backside of the paneling and I do not see that in the pictures.

A second source could be the cellulouse insulation degrading and migrating via air movement within the wall cavities. Highly unlikely but possible.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
looks like some sort of ink blot test , i see a lot of work :hammer:. tear into it and post some more pics:flowers:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
that's gotta be gotten rid of asap. my Dad sure knows. floods meant mold. cement was the host. allergens went awry. my Dad- a 1/4 of his self-made earnings were gone in 2 minutes via that stuff.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
it looks like water to me too you see alot of that up here on outside walls because of a bad vapor barrier.or the lack of on older houses

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Those are ANTS ! I have seen that before . Looks like they moved on . Spray good and repair !

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Those are ANTS ! I have seen that before . Looks like they moved on . Spray good and repair !

Good callAL.

carpenter ants, I new I had seen that before

That is their poop spread by airflow through cracks.

Not exactly termites but similar damageto the house.

Pul the sheet rock

Clean it up,

Make repairs

Spray and cover withnew sheet rock

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Good call Al.

Termite damage is pretty distinctive and looks nothing like that. It could be water damage but it's the strangest water damage I've ever seen. Mould is a possibility but I think that Al's call of ants is the best explanation. As you dig further into it, it should become more obvious what it is.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I think it's ants too. Whatever it is/was must be gone now though as there are no signs of any life. The previous owner may have started some insect prevention program along the line.

Thanks all!

Kane

Pull the drywall
Make repairs.

Sorry, no ants, just water damage and resulting long-term condensation on the back face of the paneling, which acted as a moisture (more correctly, vapor) barrier.

A vapor barrier must be installed within the wall section outboard of the drywall. A vapor barrier was likely excluded during the original construction, and water vapor hit dew point and condensed at the paneling. Bummer. So like Franc says, the drywall should be pulled at exterior walls.

Or, (if I were you), just forgettaboutit, and flip the house.

PS: Structural damage is very unlikely, and the damage to drywall is generally cosmetic. But during rehab, do not use a particleboard paneling.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
flippin' a place sounds:w00t2: i was w/ the guy that flipped places. it's not the ideal job. hear me.

Kane

flippin' a place sounds:w00t2: i was w/ the guy that flipped places. it's not the ideal job. hear me.
With sound business/construction experience and some moral smarts, flipping can be extremely lucrative. OTOH, run-amok flipping put many of the housing boom rats in jail ... for a very long time.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
they flipped very well, kane. thier work/efforts were exceptional. was usually the would-be merchant that was the ail. not those guys/women that made those places into places where ppl could reside as a normal family may.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Flipping houses can be fun. It can be lucrative. But it ain't as easy a they show on TV.

I have done several Flips. Including the house I live in. Wish I knew back in 1977 what I know now. As it is I flipped my house twice.

Lots of really dirty grimy work, and frustrations with Subs and Inspectors. It is better if you have a realtor on your team. Gives you guidance as to what improvments make the house sell. Saves a ton of dough chasing what you would like to do. Biggest mistake is trying to build something you would like to live in and blowing the budget getting there.

I gave it up when I started the packaging business. Almost went back in to it in 2006. Right as the bubble burst.

Whew! that was a close call

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Those sure are two beauties out front. Are they both still around? As in all things, sometimes "keeping" is better than "flipping".
Traded the car for a 27 foot sailboat. It is now cradled and un used.The girl is still with me. I don't know why