• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How to not win a new customer

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am in the process of getting bids to replace my 30+ year old oil burner furnace with a new propane unit.

Today I wanted to set up site-visits with a couple of propane vendors to plan my new fuel source. The first company I called was Amerigas:

Me: "Could someone come out tomorrow morning?"
Office girl: "No, our hours are 7:00am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday"
Me: "But I don't get home from work until after 5:00pm, and evenings or weekends are the only time I'm available."
Office girl: "I don't know what to tell you."
Me: "Let me check my schedule, I'll call you back."

Next, I called Conserv FS (my current fuel oil co-op):

Me: "Could you come out tomorrow morning?"
Gary (independent co-op delivery guy): "Sure, I can be there at 9:00am"
Me: "Great! See you then!"

Guess which one is most likely to get my business?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That's why we don't have Amerigas. They had a chance to get our business when our heat pump failed. That was 6 years ago and they still haven't shown up. The local guy showed up an hour after I called and we had heat the next day.

Jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my story is a little different it has to do with diamond antennas i have an antenna which i used in an aplication it was not intended which caused damage to the base. while talking with tech support about how i may still be able to utilize the antenna he notified me that i could buy the necessary parts to fix the antenna. now while digging for my wallet to get a credit card number the conversation moved to my back and how this all started in iraq, i got my card out and started reading off the numbers and was told he couldn't take my card i asked why he said you are military i assured him i was retired now and could pay for the parts. he informed me that i did my time in the sand box and it was his companys way of saying thank you. from now on you can guess whose products i will buy.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Dds, it's good to know there are still a few good folks left for us consumers!!!
Mike

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, why not consider a small direct vent LP fired boiler and an air handler with a coil. Very efficient system that allows you to add a/c and an indirect or plate heat exchanger for hot water. That is my setup and it makes good heat and hot water.