• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What do you do to keep your Cummins warm?

Chief

I have installed some winter front I bought from Eric Buckle on TDR. These work pretty well so far but during colder snaps, the engine temp does tend to drift down from normal operating temp. if a load is not kept on the engine. A few of you I think AV8R and Dargo have Cummins trucks and anyone else as well; just curious as to what you use for winter operation to aid keeping the engine operating temps. in the sweet spot? I tried a winter front that Cabela's had but it did not fit very well esecially with my wind/bug deflector.

Attachments

• dodge winter fronts.jpg
    dodge winter fronts.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 168

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I get an x-tra large pizza from the local place that knows me by name, eat the pizza, unfold the heavy wax coated box, & place it between the intercooler & radiator on 1/2 my radiator on my 04.5 dodge. It stays there till I smell pizza in the spring unless I have a major load to haul where I need the full capacity. In which case I remove it and replace it the following friday nite when we get pizza again. Cheap, healthy (all the food groups in one meal if you order it correctly) and good for the environment (biodegradable..pizza & cardboard). And good for the local economy also.

Last edited:

Chief

Mine is an 02 model. I'll take a look and see if there is accessability and room between the intercooler and radiator to slide one in. That would be tough having to smell pizza for the entire time driving cross country trips. :Raised_Ey

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
€hieƒ™ said:
Mine is an 02 model. I'll take a look and see if there is accessability and room between the intercooler and radiator to slide one in. That would be tough having to smell pizza for the entire time driving cross country trips. :Raised_Ey
Maybe for you !! :D :D Pizza Smells alot better than the aftermath of camel toe thursday.........tuna surprise friday !!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
Maybe for you !! :D :D Pizza Smells alot better than the aftermath of camel toe thursday.........tuna surprise friday !!

Old Irish saying; If it smells like tuna, but it aint, don't eat it.:puke1::toilet::boobies::beer:

Chief

In my case; with 3 daughters as well as the wife and I who are pizza fanatics, it would drive us crazy. We would have to be stopping for pizza all the time. :eek: :D That can run into some money the way we can go through pizza! :beer:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll admit that even running a "hot" version of the Cummins, I have issues keeping enough engine temp to get heat in the cab. I've built small fires in the floor, but sometimes it's hard to see for the smoke. On a couple thousand mile trip out west 2 winters ago, I completely covered the radiator and still could never get temps of over 140 degrees or so on the temp gauge. :eek:

I've changed thermostats and done all the expected stuff, but I still have issues keeping the heat up unless I'm towing 15k or more. I dunno, maybe I ought to just buy me one of those 12v heaters. But, hey, I've never had any overheating problems. ;)

Chief

Dargo, I have read posts where some folks take the fan off altogether. Not sure if I would be to warm and fuzzy with that. Think that might be an option?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
€hieƒ™ said:
Dargo, I have read posts where some folks take the fan off altogether. Not sure if I would be to warm and fuzzy with that. Think that might be an option?
Sure..........My semi driver friends have done that !! Just be sure to add an electric fan big enough to cool the engine on a thermostaticly controlled switch. Or forget & bolster the economy a little when things warm up. :sun1:

buy_25

Banned
When I had my Powerchoke for 5 years. I did not ad fuel crap nor a front cover etc. It ran just fine in Mass.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Randy,

Mine is a '94 and there is a space between the air-to-air and the radiator that will accept a (approx.) 3' x 2' piece of cardboard that I usually cut a hole 10" in diameter in the middle. This will allow the UNLOADED truck to run at a more even temp in the very cold weather (below 0°). If I am running loaded or pulling the trailer heavy, then the cardboard come out. Grill covers and the like are useless because all the air will just go around them.

This, along with the hand throttle to idle up at 1200 rpm or so will keep her warm.
:17875:

Kubota King

buy_25 said:
When I had my Powerchoke for 5 years. I did not ad fuel crap nor a front cover etc. It ran just fine in Mass.

I have 3 power stroke's currently & very rairly have a problem keeping heat unless idling for over 45 minutes in -15 degree temps but it isnt often we see temps that cold around here. A typical winters night here is 10 - 15 degree's which the power stroke does fine keeping heat in.
What temps are you cummin's guys experiencing heat loss at?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Kubota King said:
I have 3 power stroke's currently & very rairly have a problem keeping heat unless idling for over 45 minutes in -15 degree temps but it isnt often we see temps that cold around here. A typical winters night here is 10 - 15 degree's which the power stroke does fine keeping heat in.
What temps are you cummin's guys experiencing heat loss at?
I run 25 miles or so to work every day.........I don't get real heat until I've gone 1/2 way to the shop..unless I have the pizza box weather front in..............