• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

beer can chicken today

freebird

Today is my birthdday and to celebrate i am cooking a beer can chicken today and the wife is making a apple pie for me. Last night it was rib steaks, king crab, corn on the cob and new potatoes!
:sun1:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a beer can chicken cooker but I've always cooked the chicken without the beer. The lovely Mrs_B uses some spices and we just slow roast it and it is always juicy. I've always wondered if the beer would make it even juicier?

How much beer flavor does the beer add?

And have you tried different types of beer to add different types of flavor? (like a stout ale with a lot of hops versus a lighter beer made with grains/barely but just a touch of hops).

freebird

I've only did this once before and I used budweiser. Pour out half the can, preferably into your mouth then blend up seasonings like crushed garlic, tiger sauce and red pepper seasoning and funnel back into can. Stuff an onion in the neck area to keep steam inside. Lightly rub chicken with vegetable oil and cook at 350 on the grill.
I like your thinking about using a stouter beer for flavor, I will try that.

BoneheadNW

From Epicurious.com:

This odd recipe makes some of the most moist, succulent, flavorful barbecued chicken I've ever tasted. The secret: an open can of beer is inserted into the cavity of the bird, which is cooked upright on the grill. Besides being incredibly tender, the bird makes a great conversation piece. The recipe was inspired by the Bryce Boar Blazers, a barbecue team from Texas I met at the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest. The proper beverage? Beer, of course.
ingredients_hed.gif

1 large whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
3 tablespoons Memphis Rub* or your favorite dry barbecue rub
1 can (12 ounces) beer

preperation_hed.gif

1. Remove and discard the fat just inside the body cavities of the chicken. Remove the package of giblets, and set aside for another use. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water, then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the rub inside the body and neck cavities, the rub another 1 tablespoon all over the skin of the bird. If you wish, rub another 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture between the flesh and the skin. Cover and refrigerate the chicken while you preheat the grill.
2. Set up the grill for indirect grilling** placing a drip pan in the center. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium.
If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box and preheat the grill to high; then, when smoke appears, lower the heat to medium.
3. Pop the tab on the beer can. Using a "church key" –style can opener, make 6 or 7 holes in the top of the can. Pour out the top inch of beer, then spoon the remaining dry rub through the holes into the beer. Holding the chicken upright, with the opening of the body cavity down, insert the beer can into the cavity.
4. When ready to cook, if using charcoal, toss half the wood chips on the coals. Oil the grill grate. Stand the chicken up in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan. Spread out the legs to form a sort of tripod, to support the bird.
5. Cover the grill and cook the chicken until fall-off-the-bone tender, 2 hours. If using charcoal, add 10 to 12 fresh coals per side and the remaining wood chips after 1 hour.
6. Using tongs, lift the bird to a cutting board or platter, holding the metal spatula underneath the beer can for support. (Have the board or platter right next to the bird to make the move shorter. Be careful not to spill hot beer on yourself.) Let stand for 5 minutes before carving the meat off the upright carcass. (Toss the beer can out along with the carcass.)
*Memphis Rub
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons accent (MSG; optional)
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Combine all the ingredients in a jar, twist the lid on airtight, and shake to mix. Store away from heat or light for up to six months. Makes about 1/2 cup. Enough for 4 to 6 racks of ribs.
** Indirect grilling on a Charcoal Grill:
To set up you grill for indirect grilling, light the coals. When they are blazing red, use tongs to transfer them to opposite sides of the grill, arranging them in two piles. Some grills have special half-moon-shaped baskets to hold the coals at the sides; others have wire fences that hook onto the bottom gate. Let the coals burn until they are covered with a thin layer of gray ash. Set the drip pan in the center of the grill, between the mounds of coals. Place the food on the grate over the drip pan, and cover the grill. You’ll need to add about 10 to 12 fresh briquettes to each side after an hour of cooking. If you want to add a smoke flavor, add 1 to 2 cups of presoaked wood chips, or 2 to 4 chunks, to the coals just before you start to cook, and again whenever you replenish the coals.

Serves 4 to 6.
The Barbecue Bible
June 1998
Steven Raichlen
Workman Publishing
What? Waste a good can of beer?:burp:
Bonehead

freebird

I picked up a new beer to try..it's called Skinny dip, made with cascade hops here in Wa State and it has a hint of lime too.

P

Pigtails

freebird said:
I picked up a new beer to try..it's called Skinny dip, made with cascade hops here in Wa State and it has a hint of lime too.

Hey, Freebird, did the new beer make it taste better? Haven't tried the chicken with beer trick yet. But want too. My husband isn't too fond of the idea, but I'm going to try it soon.

Myst

Wouldnt the can make the food taste metallic? I would imagine it wouldnt be too good for you would it?

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
I've made a few chickens now...pretty yummy:D

Try wrapping the chicken with bacon, attaching the bacon with tooth pics;) . Made some homemade bread to go with.... Good stuff;)

Attachments

• beer chicken.jpg
    beer chicken.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 150

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Myst said:
Wouldnt the can make the food taste metallic? I would imagine it wouldnt be too good for you would it?

Myst, I am with you on this one. I would think that aluminum would stink it up. Why don't you just pour the damn beer over the bird inside the cavity.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Jen's Jeep said:
I've made a few chickens now...pretty yummy:D

Try wrapping the chicken with bacon, attaching the bacon with tooth pics;) . Made some homemade bread to go with.... Good stuff;)

I'll second the bacon wrapped chicken! I like to get thick chicken breasts cut them into 2"-4" cubes and wrap them in thin bacon. Grill them on the grill until the bacon is crispy.

Yum!