• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vegitarian, Low-Oil, Salt Free RECEIPIES?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey folks, I asked this question in the Vegitarian thread, but the thread swerved away from it. So let me ask for some help differently:

Can you PLEASE post your favorite vegetable receipies
that do not contain meat or fish. Ideal receipies would include varieties of cold or cooked salads, pastas, grilled veggie combinations, etc. (various fruits, veggies & starches are good)

No salt
Very low oil/fat
No animal content (no dairy or meat)

beds

Bob, here's a couple.

Curried lentils on rice. The only issues are frying onions and curry paste. I use curry paste instead of powder because it's easier, but it may have oil in it. Here's a crack at it oil-free: Saute onions in juice drained off of lentil can. Once softened, add a couple tablespoons of curry paste or curry powder. If using curry powder, you could add other spices like cumin, fresh-ground coriander seeds etc. Once this is heated, add the lentils. Simmer for up to an hour and add water if it reduces too much. Final consistency should be like pork and beans.

I always make barley and lentil soup, but don't know how it would taste without salt. It's easy. Add <1 cup dried pot or pearl barley and <1 cup dried lentils to pot of water. Bring to boil and simmer for an hour or two. Add whatever vegetables are lying around and cook for another hour. Celery is a must, followed by onions, carrots, potatoes. Then it's experimental. You also need bay leaves and whole peppercorns for the duration of the boil. Here's a tip: Add the skins of onions to add colour in whatever soup/gravy you're making. Remove along with bay leaves before serving.

I think alot of tomato-based sauces would work well for you. I don't think salt is required in any tomato sauce.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Some quick suggestions

Grilled zuchini: brush with olive oil

Grilled red or/and green pepper . Can be blackened and peeled and mixed with basil and black olive juice.there's a little salt in bl. olive juice, though.

Roasted veges like carrots, turnip, celery, parsnip. Cut up and roast at 350+ for an hour to hour and half.

Mushrooms. sautee them slowly add a dash of sherry.

Brocolli with garlic and lemon juice.

Grits :D might add some creamyness to a vegetable concoction.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the ideas.

For lunch I had a grilled portobella mushroom on whole wheat. It really tasted good. I sprayed it with PAM and dusted it with Mrs Dash Chipolte seasoning.

I would LOVE some chicken stock poured over noodles. The stock at the store, even the sodium reduced stuff, was absolutely loaded with sodium. I'm making my own chicken stock in a crock pot, no salt, lots of veggies, and I'll skim the fat off of the top (and remove the chicken too).

Grits . . . I'm friends with a guy in Texas, whenever he comes up here he orders grits. Noplace I've ever taken him to eat serves them. Not quite sure what they are? Some from corn?

Curried lentils on rice . . . damn that sounds good too. I love red beans and rice too.

Tomorrow I get my weekly ration of fish. I've got some salmon sushi rolls that I picked up fresh today. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Your mushroom 'burger' sounds great :D And so does the sushi

Grits are ground up corn that they've done something to. Don't know what, exactly..... They are in the cereal aisle near the other Quaker products, here. Get quick not instant if you try them. Sort of like mashed potatoes: the corn version.

Hope your stock comes out good.

I've been involved with diets like this( husband, father ) It was challanging but after a week or so I didn't miss the salt so much. I never did care about meat but I love dairy .... that would be tough.

How are you getting protien ?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie, the protien comes 1 day a week in the form of fish. But as this is a short term diet to excercise all the bad mojo (technical term) it is only a short term diet. As my blood tests return back to normal, and as my medications return to normal (I take drugs for everything except recreational uses) then I will go back to a far more normal diet.

My diet probably won't be what I had before, but then again I have been told that I eat things that should have never been allowed into a kitchen. For me, food is an adventure. Or at least it was. Now it is bland. I'm actually working pretty hard on sticking with the diet so that I can get back to my experimental habits with food . . . but perhaps with one or two types held back into more moderation.

As for meat, I love meat. I probably eat more lamb than the next 5 Americans in line at the market. My butcher cuts me double cuts of ribeye steaks. Dairy? Nope, I have almost none of that. I can live without ice-cream and milk. Cheese is an occasional indulgence, usually blue, or a fine swiss. Baked brie en cruet with sweet onions and mushrooms, that, on the otherhand, could clog my arteries if someone left a wheel of it in front of me with a fork!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob; Do you like fresh asparagus? I like to steam it in a steamer with dillweed added to the water, before boiling, throw the steamer thing in lay out my asparagus, sprinkle with more dillweed, and steam till tender. Fresh green beans are great cooked the same way.:tiphat::beer::beer:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
But as this is a short term diet to excercise all the bad mojo (technical term)...

I suggest you excise that mojo instead of exercising it. If all you do is give it a good workout, it will only be stonger and badder. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, as usual, you do get the best of my words!

John, dinner tonight was a big load of grilled asparagus. I sprayed it lightly with Pam cooking spray and then sprinkled some lime, pepper and spices on it. Tossed it on the BBQ and let it cook just long enough to get some grill marks. YUM. I also had some sushi rolls which contained rice, seaweed, and crab. Added a healthy pinch of Wasabi (think extra strong horseraddish) and a small slice of raw salmon to each piece. YUMMY. But today is 'protein day' in my diet, so I get fish. I don't get meat or fish for another week!

To show her moral support for my plight, my daughter had salsbury steak and apple cobbler. Did I mention that she is now grounded for the next month!:whistle:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob; That asparagus sounds good, I'll have to try that. Now the sushi? Welllll, I've never tried it. But a nieghbor of mine upnorth eats like you used to. She wants me to bring some back up for her. I've no clue what so ever where to find that in Monroe. Wasabi, oh yeah!! GOOD stuff.:thumb::tiphat::beer::beer:

Hey, good luck on your diet, the results will be well worth the effort. :a1:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I haven't even heard of half of the foods you folk talk about, but it all sounds very healthy. I am afraid that now I live on my own I don't eat in a very healthy manner. Bob, are you allowed fruit, in which case there are plums, apples, cherries, melons, oranges etc.? Cold rice is nice as a salad with plenty of mushrooms, (sliced and uncooked,) peppers, tomatoes, and anything else that comes to mind.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ice Queen said:
I am afraid that now I live on my own I don't eat in a very healthy manner.

I think when I was living alone is when I ate the healthiest! But then again I was a graduate student at the time working on my master's degree. I had plenty of time to cook and while I consumed my ration of beer and bar food, I also took the time to cook and eat good food. I think cooking gave me something to occupy some free time and also occupied my mind too.

But I guess it might be because I grew up in a house where my mom cooked so I was always very comfortable in the kitchen. I think nothing of roasting a goose or a duck. Just as easy as roasting a chicken, but tastes a lot better!

When my in-laws were alive, they were also fairly sick, so my wife would take off several weeks (4 to 5) each summer and visit her parents. After a while cooking the in microwave got boring, so I would often make things like seared salmon with penne, panchetta and asparagas as a nice hot salad. Its simple but elegant and contains a nice balance of the food groups.

Ice Queen said:
Bob, are you allowed fruit...
Yes, in fact I am eating lots more fruit than I ever did before. I'm also planning on trying a receipe that makes banana-blueberry muffins but contains no flour or oil. I'll post it if it tastes good, if it doesn't then you all may hear :puke1:

John . . . if you like asparagas, try it on the grill. I had it grilled at a restaurant that way and tried it at home. Its so simple. To my tastes, all you need is fresh spears, a drizzle of olive oil which you then use to mix over the asparagas, and then some good salt. Not finely ground table salt, but a nice kosher coarse grind salt or a flaked grey salt (any large grind salt that stands up to the grill works well).

If you like spicy food, you can do a "sweet-hot" asparagas too. Basically find a nice pepper flavored oil (check the Chinese food section or gourmet food section) and substituted it for regular olive oil. You can also use something like a dusting of red pepper flakes but I find it does not work as well as spiced oils. For the 'sweet' part of the receipe, substitute some sugar for the salt, just to your taste, you don't need a lot (unless you like it). You can alter the amount of spice and sweetness very easily so experiment to your tastes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lunch today is a mixuture of oats, rice, red beans, and something that looks like spaghetti sauce. Hot in a bowl. :puke1:

My truck is at the trailer hitch place getting an upgraded brake controller installed. On the way there is a Hooters. Pretty girls, frosty mugs of beer and good hot wings. My V.P. is driving me to pick up my truck this afternoon. We are leaving early and not coming back to work. Screw this diet of twigs and bark! :moon: I might be healthy but I want to live, not just exist:5boobs: