• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trump plans 20% Tax to pay for wall

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/...reakingNews&contentID=64842749&pgtype=article

President Trump plans to make Mexico pay for his border wall by imposing a 20 percent tax on all imports into the United States from Mexico, raising billions of dollars that would cover the cost of the new barrier.
I knew that would be how it would be paid for. This should have been obvious to those saying that making Mexico pay would be impossible.
In my opinion paying for it (this way) would be the easiest part of building the wall.

The USA, Mexico (and Canada) are members of the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta). Members of Nafta do not do not impose tariffs on most imports from each others Nations. The U.S. does impose tariffs on imports from other nations.
A governmental website claims that this agreement actually helps U.S. businesses. This is because Mexico imports more goods from the USA than what they export (tariff free) to the USA. Therefore the trade balance benefits the U.S. https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/north-american-free-trade-agreement-nafta
Naturally others disagree.

This is my opinion:

I am sure that this is just a starting proposal. Mexico (as well as many in the USA) will balk at this. Trump's team will counter with another proposal.
Even if the percentage of the tariff is lowered it should provide enough money to build the wall.
There will (no doubt) be exceptions to the tariff.
Probably some produce would be imported duty free at out of season times. Therefore U.S. citizens will still have cheap fresh produce.
If this is restricted to out of season times (since it can't be grown here then) It shouldn't hurt U.S. farmers.
Mexico will then counter propose to import things tariff free from the U.S.
It is what we would call Horse trading.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Mr Mexico will pay for the wall, but not via a tax. I am sure this is the starting point as well.
It'll be outright payment.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the reports I saw said "5% to 20%" but I can't find that story now.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The Art of the Deal.

First salvo. Trump is proposing the wall be financed via a 20% tax on Mexican imports. This would devastate Mexico's export business to the US and those goods would be priced much higher then other countries. Already the Peso is dropping like a rock versus the Dollar, and this is just beginning to play out. Mexico's major exports to the US are in the Agriculture sector.

Just the threat of this should bring them to the table to discuss their financing of the wall.

The Art of the Deal. Stay tuned. Watch how this plays out over the coming months. It is going to be a thing of beauty. :clap:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The next closest "export"partner to us has a total value 12 times less the 241 billion Mexico sells us.
They will put up 10bil in a minute.
Just give them a few hours to mull it over. And that 10bil gets more and more expensive to them as the peso drops like a rock.
They better pay up quickly.
Ain't costing us a dime in the end.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well if the prices on good go up then maybe liberals will be forced to admit that taxes are paid by consumers.

And if consumers see prices go up then maybe they will realize that they pay the taxes that are imposed.

And if liberals and consumers actually have to admit the truth then maybe they won't be so happy to tax corporations for "excess profits" or "windfalls" or any other such made up terms. Nor will they be so happy to impose taxes to subsidize other goods because they realize they are just picking their own pockets.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
A governmental website claims that this agreement actually helps U.S. businesses. This is because Mexico imports more goods from the USA than what they export (tariff free) to the USA. Therefore the trade balance benefits the U.S. https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/north-american-free-trade-agreement-nafta
Naturally others disagree.

The figures that I saw today showed an almost $50 billion disparity in Mexico's favor. So I think that others do, in fact, disagree.

When you stop and think about it, it couldn't be any other way.

I wonder if they factor in the value of the drugs crossing the Mexican border or is that just part of the "black economy".

bilbo

From where I live y'all should be able to hear air sucking southward as the masses stand in line to wire paychecks southward - 2% to 3% tax on western union transfers, we'll also have auto detection seismographs every 50 feets!!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If the Mexicans don't pay, watch trump kill the peso, making their goods even cheaper, and the tax will not even be felt

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We should send in special operations forces to Mexican towns and take out the cartel just like we do with the rag heads. Kill them and destroy their organization and make it expensive as hell in both lives and money if they wish to continue their business.

Screw Mexico. The country is a toilet I would not take a crap in. Who cares about them anyway.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
4dc000f295b711cf4ad9e725102daeeb.jpg