• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Talk To Me About Tucker's

Fritzhaus

Looking for direct user experiences with the older, gas Tucker cats. (Late 70's-early 90's)
-Climbing ability compared to 1200/Sprytes/1500
-Fuel consumption/hour
-Dana axles/ARB locking differentials
-Diesel conversions
-Blade capabilities
-Auto tranny issues

Would love to hear from people who actually have some time in the seat, or spent enough time around them to have formed a solid opinion.

Thx again.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the only thing I know about tuckers is their 4 track design begs for a smooth ride at high speeds that they apparently don't do. the other thing I know is they wont climb back on to ice if they fall through. The plus side they have a nice lay out like a pickup truck and tow nice on a trailer. i think those wide track models with ih axles look real cool but I can't say much else other than unles it had a diesel I don't think I could afford to operate one any thing more than 3 gph gets expensive at 6bucks a gallon for gas.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
working and driving a 1977 1542, it has a 318 Chrysler v8 and 5 speed manual. great machines and simple to understand.

-Climbing ability compared to 1200/Sprytes/1500 will out climb either hands down.
-Fuel consumption/hour snow conditions and grade will dictate fuel consumption, they have huge gas tanks for a reason.
-Dana axles/ARB locking differentials if you need sharp turning don't lock diff- if you are going to lock one diff, lock the front - i would not recommend locking both axles. axles and diff fairly easy to rebuild.
-Diesel conversions converting the engine to diesel will change drive line components- ring and pinion ratio, trans and or housing, mounts , hydraulic mounts, exc.... very expensive..
-Blade capabilities stock blades are big and heavy but do articulate well 6-8 way. custom blades can be made that are lighter and built for application of use.
-Auto tranny issues i only have experience with the 5 speed manual and are bomb proof.

i am not an expert but hope this helps. neither cat may be what you really need to have fun.
their are a lot of different snow cats out there.

spend the money to get a well maintained tucker and you will save money in the long run,( really that goes for any cat) unless you have good mechanical experience with this type of equipment .snow cats in general are kinda like women, fun to ride but need a lot of maintenance.

if you are just using it to cruze around on an established trail and staying on forest roads back and forth to the cabin kinda stuff get a Spryte, if you are going to be plowing a lot of snow and breaking trails, pulling a heavy loads, trying to get to the top of the mountain to drop off some ski bums ,get a Tucker. IMHO:biggrin:

really what are your plans for the cat? and look at what most people use for that type of application.

Fritzhaus

^^^thanks for the detail.

I'm mechanically competent, but incompetent in life, hence the desire to buy a third snowcat when I already know they ride like women.

I've talked to a few first hand users of Tucker cats now, and I'm leaning that way, assuming I didn't speak to the cult leaders only;)

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Totally agree with AUTOFAB1's assessment. My 1'st cat was an older sprite,ok for short trips,but the brake steer ,slow speed,and engine noise was a problem on longer trips on steep winding trails. 2nd cat was a 1975 tucker with dodge v8, much faster travel speed,less cabin noise,all parts available at the local NAPA store(except for track carriers). Would still have it if it had a blade. The people at Tucker are great to work with,and do their best to support the older machines.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
one other plus for tuckers is they are still made and you can get factory support

tomelroy

"Climbing ability compared to 1200/Sprytes/1500 will out climb either hands down"

I have a tucker and multiple 1200's and 1500's, but would love to hear more details about how you came to this conclusion?

"My 1'st cat was an older sprite,ok for short trips,but the brake steer ,slow speed,and engine noise was a problem on longer trips on steep winding trails"

1200's and 1500's may be geared for low, medium, or high speeds (8 mph to over 20 mph). Some have hydraulic assisted steering... What top speed are you talking about on the tucker?

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
just my experiences with running both in northern NM. and southern CO. 10 -15 feet snow conditions sugar/ powder but what do i know:wink: your snow conditions may be different than mine and track size and width along with total PSI , gearing , horse power can all be factored in. i saw a turbo v6 Spryte once that could hit 45mph and roster tails of the line:biggrin:

top speed for a Tucker:whistling: hell i would not want to run one over 20 mph for very long, they are noisy beasts. 8-12 mph is the sweet spot on the one i use,although on a steep down hill at 6,000 rpm in 5th gear it will hit 32 mph ,feels and sounds like your riding in a blender:yum::yum: not recomended.

Last edited:

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
My sprite had a straight 6 ford industrial and toped out at 8 mph. Tucker with dodge v8 would do 16 mph , so a 2 hr trip became a 1 hr trip. I'm just not a fan of brake steer.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I think it's a safe bet none of the Detroit powered tuckers are any quieter that anything out there.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it's a safe bet none of the Detroit powered tuckers are any quieter that anything out there.
I was in one of those one time. It was the quietest snowcat I ever been around. then I started it up!!!!! wait oil makes a sound when it drips doesn't it. Nevermind

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you know what detroits ,and Harleys have in common? they both drip for 5 minuts after you ride them. i'm trying to keep it g rated I left out the other common denominator

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been told Tuckers are much quieter and smoother than Sprytes. Have I been misinformed?
-Pat

the new solid rubber track Tuckers are very quiet, the older belted steel grouser and pontoon style steel grouser are noisy in my opinion. the steel belted more so than the pontoon as the steel grousers slap the sliders on the top of the carriers makeing a loud clacking sound but engine noise is not bad. Sprytes have more engine noise as you are sitting right next to it. but i would think if you insulate and use some sound dampener it would help a bunch, but the Spryte i used had none just the metal engine cover.

as far as smooth, Spryte's tend to jerk and bounce more steering due to the brake band steering system. Tuckers use a hydraulic ram to pivot the front and back axles and is more similar to driving a truck than a tank.

i have seen some tuckers that use pneumatic tires instead of the nylon sliders and are said to be much quieter but i have yet to go for a ride with that type of set up.

Snowcat Pat

I wonder then which model Tucker would have the same or better flotation than a wide track Spryte?

Another comparison to consider. The Spryte with its 300 Ford I6 at 10,000 feet vs. whatever engines are available in the Tucker?

-Pat

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
top speed for a Tucker:whistling: hell i would not want to run one over 20 mph for very long, they are noisy beasts. 8-12 mph is the sweet spot on the one i use,although on a steep down hill at 6,000 rpm in 5th gear it will hit 32 mph ,feels and sounds like your riding in a blender:yum::yum: not recomended.

If you can get your engine up to 6,000 RPM then it's likely the King-Seeley velocity governor under the carburetor is broken or missing.

Tucker installs that governor because of a hydraulic pump limitation. The pump is typically a Vickers V-20P and Vickers recommends a maximum pump RPM of between 3,400 RPM and 2,400 RPM depending on the pump's output volume. Tucker sizes the pump based upon options such as steering only, or adding higher output if you have a front blade and/or rear hydraulics.

They install that pump on gasoline engines as an engine accessory and power it with two V-belts driven off a pulley on the crankshaft. If you measure the pulley diameters and do the math You'll see they are trying to slow the pump down relative to engine speed (larger diameter pulley on the pump).

(This is purely from memory so the dimensions may be off.) On my Tucker the pulley on the hydraulic pump is eight inches in diameter whereas the crankshaft pulley is six inches in diameter. 2,500 pump RPM equals 3,333 engine RPM. At 6,000 engine RPM (assuming the same geometry) that hydraulic pump is turning 4,500 RPM.

As far as Tuckers and "quietness of operation" there is a modification Tucker did in the mid to late 1980's to the carriers. Previously they used a steel framework with replaceable hyfax on top that supported the track on both sides of the drive sprockets. However this modification removed that framework and replaced it with damper wheels. 1300 and 1500 series machines have one damper wheel on either side. 1600 series machines have two damper wheels on the long side of the carrier and one on the short side. It makes for quieter operation as the sound of the grousers slapping the hyfax is gone. Some older machines have had this modification done to the carriers. However the cost of the parts to do it is expensive.

Tucker offered different automatic transmissions. Early on options were a Chrysler Torqueflite (a heavier duty version of the Loadflite) or an Allison AT-545. They had problems with the Torqueflites and then just went with the Allisons. I should probably point out that the Torqueflites came with either a short tailstock or a long tailstock. In the Tucker application they used the short version. From my understanding those are prone to breaking and they are virtually impossible to find.

They also offered different Diesel engine options such as a Detroit 4-53 (I'm not sure if that was offered in a normally aspirated version), a Cummins V-378 (turbocharged and normally aspirated), and a Perkins option as well.

The front blades on the Tuckers in the late seventies/early 1980's actually attached to the front axle. There was a fairly robust framework behind the axle to transfer the load from the axle to the Tucker's main frame. What's "weird" is that typically in a vehicle the blade attaches to the vehicle's frame. When you turn, the blade stays aligned with the vehicle. With these Tuckers when you turn, the whole front axle turns and if you have a blade, that turns with the front axle.

I don't know when Tucker started offering locking differentials from the factory. In conversations with Jeff Godard at Tucker they prefer the Eaton e-locker to the ARB. However Eaton doesn't offer an e-locker for the Dana 70 series axles yet so that's why they use ARB's in that application.

I would recommend you call Tucker and chat with Jeff Godard or Dan Dressler. Very knowledgeable, very nice guys who are generous with their time.

Short bus

My difs have spools locked all the time they run parallel they go strait all he time even in a full lock turn if they are in a bind I never noticed they are on snow or Ice.
working and driving a 1977 1542, it has a 318 Chrysler v8 and 5 speed manual. great machines and simple to understand.

-Climbing ability compared to 1200/Sprytes/1500 will out climb either hands down.
-Fuel consumption/hour snow conditions and grade will dictate fuel consumption, they have huge gas tanks for a reason.
-Dana axles/ARB locking differentials if you need sharp turning don't lock diff- if you are going to lock one diff, lock the front - i would not recommend locking both axles. axles and diff fairly easy to rebuild.
-Diesel conversions converting the engine to diesel will change drive line components- ring and pinion ratio, trans and or housing, mounts , hydraulic mounts, exc.... very expensive..
-Blade capabilities stock blades are big and heavy but do articulate well 6-8 way. custom blades can be made that are lighter and built for application of use.
-Auto tranny issues i only have experience with the 5 speed manual and are bomb proof.

i am not an expert but hope this helps. neither cat may be what you really need to have fun.
their are a lot of different snow cats out there.

spend the money to get a well maintained tucker and you will save money in the long run,( really that goes for any cat) unless you have good mechanical experience with this type of equipment .snow cats in general are kinda like women, fun to ride but need a lot of maintenance.

if you are just using it to cruze around on an established trail and staying on forest roads back and forth to the cabin kinda stuff get a Spryte, if you are going to be plowing a lot of snow and breaking trails, pulling a heavy loads, trying to get to the top of the mountain to drop off some ski bums ,get a Tucker. IMHO:biggrin:

really what are your plans for the cat? and look at what most people use for that type of application.