• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte/1200 gallons per hour

Fritzhaus

Anyone have any idea the typical gallons per hour usage? I realize it is highly variable, just curious about the range of usage.

Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that's a good question I would bet it would have to be around a 3 gph rate my 2100 gets about 1/2 that but it's a diesel. I have to admit I'm growing to love that ford diesel it needs a squirt of starting fluid to get started when cold but what a power house and it just sips the fuel.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fairly hard pulling conditions maybe 4-6 gallons per hour for the 300 Ford engine would be an educated guess knowing these engines. Less if not pulling hard... But I haven't been around one in a snow cat before.

Regards, Kirk

Snowcat Pat

My experience in mountains which is the average going up in the deep snow and down in my own tracks, most loaded Sprytes with the 300/C6/ low geared OC12 get about 1 mpg sometimes slightly better, but rarely quite acheived average 2 mpg. 2100 about the same.
For me its about how many miles were traveled vs. how much fuel was used at the end of the day, with all the warm ups and idling/low speed maneuvering.
Id enjoy hearing everyones real world fuel economy. A Snowtrac can do surprisingly well from what Ive seen.
-Pat

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
bear with me this is twisted.

My only fuel consumption is dragging trails. I have a 30.1 mile loop.
tucker 5.9L cummings pulling a 9'6" drag 1900 rpm ish is 6-8 hours and 1.96 gallons per hour.
the 2100 nonturbo diesel burns less fuel, I don't have an hour meter or fuel gauge and I only had to put fuel in it once last winter. 2100 rpm sorry I can't provide data but I was not the primary operator.

the gas powered spryte I looked at in oneida NY last summer had fuel data that suggested about 4+gph gas 300 automatic 8' drag. hilly trails.

Cletis

"the gas powered spryte I looked at in oneida NY last summer had fuel data that suggested about 4+gph gas 300 automatic 8' drag. hilly trails. "

I was hoping others would chime in on this Redsqwrl. Unless I am mistaken with where you were heading with your post. After working on diesel engines most of my life, there is definitely a need for a diesel, WHEN ACTUALLY WORKING THE MACHINE HARD. In a snowcat MPO is I guess if you have the coin to throw away that's great. I think gasers are way too overlooked. I ran many Ford 300 in my poorer years and have always been very impressed. Many years ago I had the intentions of restoring an old powerwagon. At the time I was going to put in the Cummings 4tb (?) After doing a lot of homework at looking very closely at the specs, a person would be crazy to spend 3-4 times the $ to do so. Those Ford 300 are very impressive if set up correctly. Apples to apples I'd take the 300 anyday but I was not planning on really working the powerwagon. Just a toy. As I said though the 300 needs to be set up correctly. Trans, gearing, etc.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the 300 is a good engine no doubt, but a snow cat gets a work out in the snow just by the friction caused by the grousers. in a larger cat diesel is the way to go plus no ignition system to get fouled by melting snow and no carb to ice up. you fi guys will debate the last part ok but efi is also expensive and complex I looked long and waited patiently for diesel power I can affort to feed it.