• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Yard Ornament

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any and all suggestions wanted!

Long story short, our well head got damaged by my sons buddy from running over it this winter with a ATV. It was covered in snow and he didn't see it. Needless to say it was 3 days and a half dozen filters to get the water cleaned up after repair. Told the wife to go get one of those wood craft wishing wells and we would just put it over the head of the well.

In her search, she came up with a BETTER idea! She said it's wood and it will rot so lets put in a wind mill, frankly I like the idea. Soooooooooooo.....Does anyone have one? plans for building one? suggestions on construction? or any other suggestions for a yard ornament to serve the purpose of covering the well head?

I now some of you have to have similar situations, wha'd ya do? As always, pictures are appreciated, men are visual...............:yum:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
BD....at the area flea market here, there is a fella that has pre built metal ornaments. He has 10' +/- tall windmills. I don't think this is something isolated to this area. I've seen them at other flea markets and such too. You might try one of the indoor ones near you. I found one at Target for $44.00 and one for $38.00. Northern Tool has an 8' one for about the same money. If you want/have to build one yourself, try great plans.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboyjg said:
BD....at the area flea market here, there is a fella that has pre built metal ornaments. He has 10' +/- tall windmills. I don't think this is something isolated to this area. I've seen them at other flea markets and such too. You might try one of the indoor ones near you. I found one at Target for $44.00 and one for $38.00. Northern Tool has an 8' one for about the same money.

I found them too! I'm a little concerned about the construction. Have you taken a good look at them? Are they using 1" angle? I'm thinking like Tim the tool man and considering 2"...ruhh, ruhh! My only issue would be finding the blade assembly. 8' would be my preference and appears to be the standard and they do have 2' extentions.

Thanks a lot!

BD

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
BD...It's a yard ornament.....you're not planning on swinging from it are you... :eek: .. :)

Besides, you can spray it with eurathane before you place it to help keep it from rusting!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum:................too funny!

Hell I don't know why but when your my size the next chair you sit on is always a close inspection.

:moon:

That's why I bought a HEAVY TRACTOR!

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
I put a windmill over a power outlet I installed. The wind blows so hard here sometimes that it destroyed the bearings in the fins soI just took them off for now.
It's a cheaper one and has rusted up pretty good. I think that the rust gives it that country look, but the wife doesn't really like that country look. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• Windmill-email.jpg
    Windmill-email.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 28

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd say first choice would be to find one with better bearings (or just braze the fins solid to the shaft and paint it all pretty again).

Else, for the "fin-less" look, I do agree the rust is a complement.