• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How much COFFEE do you drink?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like many of us are up very early, and often in the middle of the night.

So how much coffee do you guys drink? On a weekend I start out with a 10 cup pot of coffee. Typically I switch to Diet Pepsi after that pot of coffee, and then follow up with coffee later in the day.

During the week I have one cup for the car ride to the office. Then it is a constant non-stop coffee-a-thon until lunch.

BadAttitude

Gallons and gallons of the black stuff during the winter months. But if I'm out in the cold very long, it runs right through me as fast as I drink it.

Pepsiholic during the warmer months...not the water'd down variety either. I like it straight, on the rocks:yea_!!:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
At least two 10 cup pots of Starbucks a day. Now that my wife is back drinking coffee she is forcing the third pot every day.

I used to drink tons of diet soda but it rotted my teeth - dentist told me to stick to coffee.

My wife says I use cafeine to self medicate my Attention Deficit Disorder which I tend to agree. Can't really think until the first pot is done. That is when I surf the boards. Once the brain is warmed up I turn off the net and start coding.

I can drink coffee up until bedtime. I don't sleep as well but I'll still fall asleep even if I've had a cup of coffee at 9 pm. My Dad's the same way so I think my tolerance/addiction is genetic.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Lots an lots and lots. I would guess that on an average day, I drink two to three pots by myself. I can drink regular coffee right up until the moment I go to bed with absolutely no effect on my sleep.

Even worse is when I am visiting my dad. A few years ago when I was there, his wife was griping about us....we went through an entire 1LB bag of coffee in a single day!

:pipo:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
:eek: About a cup or so a month. I may go ahead and drink more though. I still don't sleep anyway. You know, the ole insomnia thing for about the last 10 years or so...

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Im just finishing my 5th cup in the last 6 hours, Im on my own today, being too lazy to make it (cup by cup, no machine here) I generally have more if someone else is around to make it.

Do you guys drink tea at all? Seems you are all more into coffee, didnt you know theres more caffeiene in tea? ;) Maybe its just a Brit thing all this tea, prefer it over coffee, except its harder to make, no machine will make a good cup of tea.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I drink one or two cups a day. Then I switch to diet coke or ice water. I'm trying to drink more water.
...... Tylenol PM helps with my insomnia.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
Do you guys drink tea at all? Seems you are all more into coffee, didnt you know theres more caffeiene in tea? ;) Maybe its just a Brit thing all this tea, prefer it over coffee, except its harder to make, no machine will make a good cup of tea.

I actually like tea better. I don't know why I don't drink any. :pipo:

Doc, I can take 3 PM's and maybe get just a bit tired. They do work better than the samples the Dr. gave me to try. I never filled the prescriptions for any of those because the samples did nothing for me. He told me that I need to turn my mind off at night. Yeah, right. :slap:

So, you guys have me now brewing a pot of coffee! I only have the little 4 cup deal, but that'll be enough to get me doing back handsprings across the lawn.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:

I absolutely drink lots of tea also. During the summer, I will drink about a gallon of iced tea (unsweetened, so all you southerners stay away), and I really enjoy hot tea in the winter or evenings.

The biggest problem is that here in the states, most everyone uses those little bags of packaged tea, and they really aren't that great. I've switched to loose tea (probably how you make it Mith), with my favorite being a chinese Jasmine Green Tea that I really enjoyed when I was vacationing in China.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
4-6 cups a day. Never did drink coffee before my sleep apnia diagnosis, now I can afford to... :)

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave,
Ive never drunk iced tea before, hot all year round is good.
I use tea bags some for the convinience - loose tea definately has the edge, hot and not too milky is best. I guess you have it the posh way with real expensive leaves and no milk?
Now green tea, I bought some of that a while ago, drank it and didnt think all that much of it. Boy it must be full of caffeine or something, I just cant get enough of it now :eek:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I only drink tea at Chinese and Japanese restaurants. And only if it is very hot. No iced tea or iced coffee for me. If it is not just under scalding temperatures, then I don't want it.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't touch coffee. But I hit the diet pepsi pretty hard right first thing. So I am not sure which is worse but was told the diet pepsi was worse than coffee. Maybe I should just go back to drinking beer??:Raised_Ey

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm all over the board.
If no insomnia the night before, of a 10 cup pot, I probably drink about 8 cups of it per day.
Dargo said:
I need to turn my mind off at night.
For that same reason, I rarily drink any past noon. I found turning putting the TV on (on the sleep timer) at night helps turn the brain off. I normally put on the military or history channel. It helps keep the brain off my own stuff and therefore can fall asleep easier. Unfortunately, about 50% of the nights, I'm up 3-4 hours later. Once the brain kicks in, that's it... I'm up (and will drink 2-3 pots).
Don't drink tea and Coke/Pepsi very rarily.

Follow-up question. Can/do you drink the remains from the pot of coffee from the previous day? I do...

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Follow-up question. Can/do you drink the remains from the pot of coffee from the previous day? I do...

No, when I lived in Louisiana coffee was a staple. The company I worked for paid for the coffee, creamer and sugar for employee's. On the site there was 300 employees, They spent $35,000 dollars a year on those supplies! Guys wouldn't drink it if it was over 30 minutes old. Some could tell how old it was by the smell and I ain't kidding. I tested them regularly. I was a control room operator and I made it for them and would ask them. They would be inside 15 minutes regularly. Anything over an hour was obvious to them and an instant dump in the sink.......:thumb:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Plenty of it! I have thought that intravenous would be good, but hard to drive like that. Dont drink alcohol, so this is my crutch so to say. Dont like it weak, but I do put in a bit of sugar. When I am on the road, I know the spots that have the good stuff and avoid the ones that have weak coffee. When I pour it in the cup, I dont want to see thru the pour, I want to see black. Will usually do a couple pots a day, and before bedtime a cup is mandatory.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Can/do you drink the remains from the pot of coffee from the previous day? I do...

There are NEVER remains in my house. If there were then I'd probably drink them.:eek:hyeah:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I drink at least one cup before I leave for work, it all depends on what time I get up anymore. Lately I've been getting up between 0200 and 0300. Just can't sleep. Then I'll suck one down on the way in, make a pot at work, then 2 or 3 more thru the morning. Rest of the time it's either water or iced tea in the hot weather. Pop, [soda] , about once a year or less. Pop just seems to make me thirsty.:pipo: :stooges:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We usually drink a 12 cup pot in the morning, while getting ready for work. Then I'll take an insulated mug which would hold 2 mugs or so of coffee with me to work. I may fill it up once again around 10 or so. Since I haven't been working the last 8 weeks, I've stuck with my share of the 12 cup pot.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I'm currently trying to break the newtrasweet habit (diet Coke or Mtn. Dew) and go back to regular old sugar in my beverages. I've read that the artificial sweeteners could be the reason for the 20+ extra pounds I'm carrying.

I'd like to do water, but, it just doesn't satisfy me. :eek:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r_2230 said:
I'm currently trying to break the newtrasweet habit (diet Coke or Mtn. Dew) and go back to regular old sugar in my beverages. I've read that the artificial sweeteners could be the reason for the 20+ extra pounds I'm carrying.

I'd like to do water, but, it just doesn't satisfy me. :eek:

It's interesting how we are finding out that things like fat and sugar in our diet are actually good for us. Our bodies require these things in order to shut off our cravings for food. No sugar or fat in your diet and your body thinks it still needs more so eat more and get more calories from other sources.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Old and wise beliefs like "EVERYTHING IN MODERATION" seem to have been forgotten as society grabs onto fads. We do consume too much sugars and fats for our own good, but when we eliminate them, then our bodies react to crave them. Strikes me that a modest amount of most things are just about the right amounts to get us on with our lives in a reasonably healthy fashion. Sugar and fat included.

OkeeDon

Not a drop of coffee. If you take every sip of coffee I've tried in 65 years to see if I liked it, it wouldn't add up to one cup. Also, no tea, not even iced tea. When I was very little, my Mother would give me tea and ginger ale when I had an upset stomach. To this day, I associate both flavors with nausea.

No milk. Very little water. Maybe one beer every 3 months, whether I need it or not. No hard liquor. Lately, one glass of red wine on weekend evernings with dinner.

However, Diet Pepsi is what I drink. After my heart problems, I moderated so that 3 out of 4 bottles are caffiene free. Really, I can't tell the difference, but my body can -- I still crave some caffiene, even though it's not good for my heart. I primarily drink 2-liter bottles. I used to drink at least 3 of them every day; more than a gallon and a half of Diet Pepsi. Since the heart damage, I've cut back to 1 to 1-1/2 2-liter bottles per day. Sometimes I take a 12 ounce can with me on the tractor.

In restaurants, I'm sometimes forced to drink Diet Coke. I fnd that if I mix a splash of lemonade in the Diet Coke, it is almost drinkable and is closer to Diet Pepsi.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OkeeDon said:
In restaurants, I'm sometimes forced to drink Diet Coke. I fnd that if I mix a splash of lemonade in the Diet Coke, it is almost drinkable and is closer to Diet Pepsi.

Saturday I took the lovely Mrs_B to Joe's Crab Shack for lunch. They had Diet Coke. She and I both drink Diet Pepsi.

She had water.
I had lemonade.

cj7

No coffe here. I have not been able to acquire the taste.

Milk, water, Mt. Dew (theres my cafine!), Red Bull (Diet version)

No Diet pop again the taste is an issue.

I know I know (the Red Bull is an exception)

I was watching the movie last night 'Supersisize Me' last night (before I fell asleep) I was beat!

It really makes you thing about what we are putting into our bodies.

I have always beleived in moderation though too. But I think I am going to try to shift my 'moderation' point a little further away from fats and sugars.