• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac canvas top

OldShopTeacher

Just brought home Snow Trac #291 and would like to replace the canvas top. The track is there where the top bows rode, but I don't have any idea what the bows looked like, how the top was attached on the front and back or how the canvas looked. If you have any pictures, or even better an old top bow that I could duplicate that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Snowshadow

I looked at this one a while back. I'm not sure how "correct" the restoration was. If I recall correctly the bows were 1/2" emt.

Attachments

• image-3081464097.jpg
    image-3081464097.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 288
  • image-1825187843.jpg
    image-1825187843.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 294

OldShopTeacher

Thanks SnowShadow, that is an interesting top for sure. I do have the hard top model with a canvas roll back sunroof. I've owned some early VW sunroof models that also had the canvas roof, but I think the Snow Trac roof is different. But thanks again for those pics, that roof is almost like a Jeep. Would anybody have some canvas sunroof pics?

nwerring

Just brought home Snow Trac #291 and would like to replace the canvas top. The track is there where the top bows rode, but I don't have any idea what the bows looked like, how the top was attached on the front and back or how the canvas looked. If you have any pictures, or even better an old top bow that I could duplicate that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Do you have the one with the sliding canvas "sun" roof, or the convertible canvas top? I have both and will try to post some good pictures of the details..
First the canvas convertible top:

Attachments

• IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4267.jpg
    IMG_4267.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 262

nwerring

Here is some bad photos of the sliding canvas roof. My Snow Trac is parked near my cabin, so had to find some other photos - and they were not very good...

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 257

OldShopTeacher

Here is some bad photos of the sliding canvas roof. My Snow Trac is parked near my cabin, so had to find some other photos - and they were not very good...

Yes, Yes, Yes! Thanks you, that is what I would like to reproduce. Would it be possible when you get a chance to take close up photos of the latches and ends of the top bows where they fit into the tracks? And can the roof open from each end or just the front? The jeep style of roof is really interesting, but I have the hard top so I want to go back to that style. Thanks for your help.

nwerring

It might be a couple of weeks before I'm able to get some better photos, but I'll try to explain.
The wood frame/sliders, are just wood. No other parts. The roof only opens from the front and have two "over centre" latches that force them shut towards the windshield frame. Sewn into the vinyl fabric along each side is an elastic band to help keep a good seal on the outside edges. You can probably see from the photo the metal profiles that is screwed into the wooden frame to keep the fabric in place. The front and rear piece of wood are square - no curve, about 3" x 1.5". - (well, the thickness is the same as the slider track..). There is a metal "end piece" on the front and rear wood. Should be easy to fabricate.
It's a rubber seal on the front wood/metal part to help seal when the sliding roof is closed.
It's a great roof! I love it in late winter early spring when the weather is starting to warm up, and it's a great safety point when going over ice on lakes....

Attachments

• IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4807.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4806.jpg
    IMG_4806.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 231

OldShopTeacher

It might be a couple of weeks before I'm able to get some better photos, but I'll try to explain.
The wood frame/sliders, are just wood. No other parts. The roof only opens from the front and have two "over centre" latches that force them shut towards the windshield frame. Sewn into the vinyl fabric along each side is an elastic band to help keep a good seal on the outside edges. You can probably see from the photo the metal profiles that is screwed into the wooden frame to keep the fabric in place. The front and rear piece of wood are square - no curve, about 3" x 1.5". - (well, the thickness is the same as the slider track..). There is a metal "end piece" on the front and rear wood. Should be easy to fabricate.
It's a rubber seal on the front wood/metal part to help seal when the sliding roof is closed.
It's a great roof! I love it in late winter early spring when the weather is starting to warm up, and it's a great safety point when going over ice on lakes....

Thanks so much for your pictures, they will be really helpful when I get to that part of the restoration. I can see the slight curve on the top of the bows, I'm sure that helps shed rain. It really is a simple looking top and when folded back I'll bet it is a very large open roof. The picture of the new latches, can those be purchased some where?

nwerring

Here are some more detailed photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5200.jpg
    IMG_5200.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5203.jpg
    IMG_5203.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5197.jpg
    IMG_5197.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5193.jpg
    IMG_5193.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 184

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
neils does each cross piece have screws or fasteners on the outside like the first one?

nwerring

neils does each cross piece have screws or fasteners on the outside like the first one?

The front and rear cross piece are different. The 3(?) middel cross pieces have a smaller metal profile that are screwed onto the vinyl and into the wood cross piece. The metal profile is bent/curved around the side edge to keep the vinyl in place

Attachments

• IMG_4902.jpg
    IMG_4902.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 144