• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Called the Akita rescue society ... time to find a new companion

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for a new dog. The house is just too quiet.

Actually probably looking for 2 dogs :clap:

I've been in contact with the Midwest Akita Rescue Society. Looking at adopting a mature female they have in a shelter. She is about 7 years old. Was owned by a serviceman who was called into active duty and had to give up his dog. She has some PTSD training as a service dog but not fully trained as a service dog. Apparently she is a very laid back dog with high socialization.

The adoption process for an Akita can take weeks. Akitas are big tough dogs. They have a reputation & personality that proves they are not the dog breed for everyone. The rescue society won't place them in homes that are unfamiliar with the breed, or at least unfamiliar with big tough breeds. So we are now waiting to see what they say, they want to inspect our home, yard, fence, etc.

AND ---

Also looking for another small dog. Small dogs are much harder to find. They get adopted quickly. From the local shelters we are seeing that if we want a medium or large dog (pit bull) we can pick from a lot of those. But little terriers and similar dogs are tougher to find. Hoping to find a younger dog (under 5 years old) and a small dog (under 25#). And maybe bring that dog home today?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Good luck Bob. Finding dogs (that aren't pit bulls) is getting harder these days. You either deal with some crazy breed adoption society or go to breeders. Occasionally the shelters have some good ones but I have had better luck going to small rural shelters where they aren't in the industry of "dog adoptions".

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck Bob. Finding dogs (that aren't pit bulls) is getting harder these days. You either deal with some crazy breed adoption society or go to breeders. Occasionally the shelters have some good ones but I have had better luck going to small rural shelters where they aren't in the industry of "dog adoptions".

Well I'll say that the Akita rescue group seems to be very particular about who can adopt their dogs. That said, Akitas are a difficult breed.

As for the small dogs, it seems like Pit Bulls are in every shelter and small dogs are very difficult to find. I have nothing against a Pit, but damn people why do they overbreed and then abandon their dogs at such a high rate?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'll say that the Akita rescue group seems to be very particular about who can adopt their dogs. That said, Akitas are a difficult breed.

As for the small dogs, it seems like Pit Bulls are in every shelter and small dogs are very difficult to find. I have nothing against a Pit, but damn people why do they overbreed and then abandon their dogs at such a high rate?

Good luck with the Akita. I know that you love the breed.

We adopted one of our dogs from a Labradoodle rescue about 6 years ago. We had to go through the same vetting procedure including the home and yard inspection and questions about our financial capability to "care" for the dog. Initially, they weren't going to allow the adoption because I didn't have a "secure" fenced yard for the dog to run. I have a yard, I live on 13 acres, and it is fenced both around the house and around the property but they wanted a wire mesh fence so the dog couldn't escape and run off. Eventually, common sense prevailed and we adopted the best dog we have ever had, and that's saying something!!!

I agree with you about bullydog mixes. My S-I-L is chairman of the local APET (Animal Protection of East Texas) and there is a steady stream of them passing through the facility. Down here most of them are Lab mixes. Wonderful dogs no doubt but why so many????

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Meet Walter. Walter is approximately an 11month old female Silky Terrier.

She was rescued from an abusive home and was covered in fleas but now lives with us. We are not firm on the name. But being an Australian breed, and living in a home designed by an Australian architect, we started calling her Walter, after the architect Walter Burley Griffin. It will probably change? But for now we have Walter and she has us.

Attachments

• IMG_8545.jpg
    IMG_8545.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 149

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
:thumb:

Whats going to happen when she discovers you've given her a guys name? :yum: :yum: :yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Cute dog ! Maybe Wally would be a little more gender neutral ??

Thanks for rescueing her :)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After 5 hours of running around the yard, running around the house, nonstop activity, biting Melen and eating (twice) she laid down ... was not asleep for more than 2 minutes when my S-I-L showed up with her 2 dogs to meet Walter.

The introductions went well, all 3 played together. There was a bit of jealousy but everyone was good. There was more running around the yard. Jumping. Playing.

Walter's 2 minute nap seemed to revitalize her. She is full of energy again. If she doesn't sleep tonight she will probably kill me within a week. Maybe 10 days.

Attachments

• IMG_8546.jpg
    IMG_8546.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 146

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
If she doesn't sleep tonight she will probably kill me within a week. Maybe 10 days.

Come on Bob!!!! Nobody can expect to live forever!!!! Rejoice in the fact that you have done a noble thing ... and I don't envy you one bit.

As our dogs get older, we've talked about introducing a younger, smaller dog in to the family. I just don't know if I have the patience to train another dog. I've got old and grumpy in my later years and our present dogs understand that. I'm not sure that a new addition would.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the lady who runs the Midwest Akita Rescue Society emailed me today. She'd been out of contact this past week because her 13yr old Akita died.

The female Akita we were interested in is in a foster home but the foster family wants to adopt her. So we lost that Akita. She was pretty much our ideal candidate because she was known to be very tolerant of other dogs. Many Akitas treat other animals as prey.

So then I informed her of our new little Walter the Silky Terrier. That will complicate adopting an Akita. If we go to a breeder and buy a pup the pup comes into the house with Walter as the dominant dog. There would be no problem bringing in a young Akita pup with Walter here. But bringing in an adult Akita with a tiny dog in the house requires that we find a very tolerant Akita.

And speaking of Walter the female rescue pup, she has settled comfortably into our home. She sprawls out wherever she pleases, makes us cater to her whims and wishes, and enjoys a good car ride too.

She does sleep through the night on our bed, has not had an accident in the house since the first day we brought her home, but she does cry when anyone leaves the house ... separation anxiety issues?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 8.36.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 8.36.01 PM.png
    721.7 KB · Views: 125